main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

If I have any major problem with Revelations- and I did enjoy it a lot- it's that the story had some pacing issues. Granted, ACIII seems to have outright cut out a module- Connor is best friends with Lafayette out of nowhere, and there was concept art of him crossing the Delaware IIRC.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I mean Revelations was way too short. It was basically the ultimate refinement of its generation of games (in terms of gameplay engine) but you barely got to see it showcased because by the time you had unlocked most of the features, the game was over.

I'm sure I'll play AC4 someday -- like I said, the naval stuff was by far my favorite part of AC3, and I've historically enjoyed age of sail era games -- but I'm disinclined to pay the outrageous full price at this juncture, given how much of a disappointment AC3 was.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Give it 6 months Jello and it'll be dirt cheap, especially on the (then) old gen tech.

4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Jello, what exactly did you dislike about ACIII?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I strongly dislike Connor though I realize that's rather subjective as a lot of you folks are fond of him (especially Trip ). I also strongly dislike that we were on the rebel side during the war because that seemed like the easy way out to me, although I realize the handy alignment of the eagle as a symbol etc.

For me though it just seemed rushed. Like the others have suggested, it basically spent a bunch of time on the prelude to the war and then breezed through the war itself. It was light on historical figures, even though it was nice about bringing in obscure ones. It skipped too much time.

Mechanics wise there were some improvements, particularly in the animation. I liked that Connor had to scramble to find handholds and things, and there was generally a lot more verisimilitude that made it seem like actual climbing and less exaggerated/impossible parkour. A lot of the things I didn't care for are probably things people enjoyed: hunting was bothersome, I hated that the hidden blades and the swords turned from Ezio's elegant fighting to Connor's almost street fighting style, complete with a dagger and all. What, we finally have a modern looking officer's sword and we have to fight like some street thug?

Actually, on that note -- a question for you. The trailers emphasized duel wielding, but is it possible in AC4 to fight one-handed with just a single blade like a proper gentleman?

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Nope. Duel wielding only. Makes sense, since Edward is no proper gentleman, despite that being his goal (which says a lot about his characterization in early parts of the game: nice to have his fighting style reflect his personality).

I agree with most of your complaints except for Connor. I found him to be an interesting change of pace from Ezio.

The lack of some very important historical figures angered me greatly. Particularly the lack of Baron von Steuben from Valley Forge and the strange way of introducing Lafayette.

Most of your complaints are addressed in AC4. The story is very tight IMO. No skipping over important bits.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, 6 years on, I re-read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's interesting how the Venetian element leaps out at me in a way it couldn't before - as it was a couple of years later I took a trip there.

Also of note, cover art by Benjamin Carre of KE cover fame!

What's very clever is how it up-ends the audience's moral compass at the start, but is entirely honest about it - the Thiefmaker is a Fagin-like figure to be sure, but he offers a comparatively less worse fate than the alternatives for the orphans. I still love the conversation between him and Chains, the latter being a particular favourite.

Fantasy, by its name, needs something fantastic so Lynch gives us it but in the form of the city itself, in the form of long abandoned alien-built structures of some unknowable material with arcane properties. Everything else is subjected to a harsher gaze, you'll find no sympathy or nostalgic romantising of medieval society - and personally? I like that. There's a great bit in Discworld when Cohen is asked about what is greatest in life? Two of his answers are good dentistry and soft loo paper!

Next will be Red Seas Under Red Skies - be interesting to see how it holds up, as I'm certainly not the man who read it 6 years past.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A little old, but this is pretty cool: http://tattuinardoelasaga.wordpress...-the-entire-saga-in-english-in-one-blog-post/

Sample, from the beginning:
    edit:
    [face_laugh]

jSarek likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm replaying it, and I unlocked everything and basically had everything but the story missions done by sequence . . . four? Bought everything, leveled everyone up, did all the challenges and side missions. The first sequence to really open up Constantinople and all the mechanics. Maybe sequence three, actually. The decision to open up Constantinople entirely, rather than hold back side missions or areas, means that you can do everything all at once, if you just decide to do it. Unfortunately, the game doesn't give you quite enough side stuff to keep you busy throughout the game.

Also, just for the record, I do think Brotherhood and Revelation are superior to ACIII. I just don't think ACIII is as bad as is made out, because Connor is a great character and the gameplay is fantastic. It's just the weak plotting and thin side missions that are the problem. Enough of a problem to make it the worst game of an extremely good series, but not enough to make it the giant dud it's professed to be.

Trip and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean, to give the game credit, I didn't hate it or anything. It's not that it was a terrible game, I just felt that it was the first AC game I'd bought that I wish I'd waited for a sale to get (this excludes AC1, which was on sale when I got it, I think). It's enough to make me wary about AC4, though I'm glad to hear that it avoids many of the things that held back AC3. I definitely hope there are more side mission, too -- the Templar Multiplayer assassination things that Brohood added were wonderful. Given how great the multiplayer designs were for AC3, I wish there was some of that in there too.

edit: Also, Havac , you're the one that likes those Batman games, right? I've already had Arkham Asylum (though haven't really played it), and it and Arkham City are both on the humble bundle right now... so that means I got AA for free back in the day, and now have AC for just $5 :D

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    While we're talking about Assassin's Creed, I'm wondering how The Tyranny of King Washington is. Definitely a mixed reaction, but I find the premise interesting. Is it worth a buy?

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Indeed. "Those Batman games" are some of the best video games made in the last five years, period. Even if you don't like Batman at all, you'll enjoy them.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I mean, I'm sure I'll play them eventually. They have really good cape physics. I like capes.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It's interesting. The new powers are pretty fun because they open up totally new styles of gameplay. The main thing is that the chapters get increasingly better. Chapter one is kind of a slog -- a giant near-empty Frontier to bum around in and a couple missions that are nothing special (and one is a massive, massive pain in the ass to 100%). Chapter two is average -- fun enough, getting interesting in terms of story, but without a big wow factor. Chapter three is what really makes it -- good story, fun gameplay, finally getting real mileage out of the concept, and all the payoff. I'd say it's worth checking out overall for the more dedicated fan, not worth it if your interest is purely casual. The Da Vinci Disappearance is still the gold standard for AC DLC, IMO, not counting the ACII lost sequences, which shouldn't have been DLC to begin with.

Trip, Mia Mesharad and instantdeath like this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So partly inspired by Assassin's Creed talk of late, partly because I actually want something to play on a next gen console in the next few months, I picked Assassin's Creed 2 back up. Have to say, there are few things in gaming that feel better than calmly walking up to a group of guards, throwing a smoke bomb down (not that you ever need it because AC combat is ridiculously easy, but hey, I like to keep it somewhat realistic, which is why I tend to run rather than fight anytime I come up against four or more guards), assassinating all but one of the guards, and letting the smoke clear. The guard realizes that he's the only one left alive, proceeds to **** his pants, and runs.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I prefer to sit atop my armored warhorse in Brohood and whistle for my squad of master assassins to jump in and slay all the guards before me while I just sit there and watch.

Gotta enjoy the perks of command!

Zeta1127, Yoda_S and Mia Mesharad like this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, not all of us can afford master assassins, Mr. Spit-on-the-disadvantaged. Some of us have to do stuff ourselves.

I am really looking forward to Brotherhood.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I? Spit on the disadvantaged?! Don't be absurd.

I have people to do that for me.

jSarek likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I think AC4 has more side missions than most of the previous games. There are four Templar Hunts that have four missions each, 30 Assassination contracts, 15 naval contracts, 8 or 10 forts to take over, a bunch of Mayan discs to recover, 20 letters in a bottle to collect that tell an interesting story, a lot of documents to recover, some other collectible stuff, and 4 legendary ships to defeat (which are insanely difficult). That's not even counting the modern day stuff you can do, which reveals some pretty interesting information about Abstergo and the Animus' history (spoiler: turns out Vidic has always been a massive a**hole: who could have guessed?).

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    On PS (and apparently also on PC if you bought them as DLC) you can also play three Aveline missions.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I only have a 360, so I watched the Aveline DLC on Youtube. It seemed kind of unconnected to everything else in the series, but I think it could be serving as an introduction to Patience Gibbs as a future protagonist. Though given some of her dialogue, I think she might be the first gay Assassin in the series, which would make her having descendants to relive her memories unlikely.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.