main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In my defense, I was seven.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    To switch gears to my other favorite ST:TOS character ...
    "Laddie, don't you think you should ... rephrase that?"

EDIT: In unrelated news, there's this.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I wish people wound find a better ridiculous obscure character to focus on than Jaxxon. I'm tired of Jaxxon. He's overexposed.

Guys, let's make the Sun King the new thing.

Gorefiend and Ulicus like this.
  4. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    You are dead to me.
    Okay, I still love you.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I, uh... you ever see a video and seem to lose the capability of any thought beyond, "what the hell am I watching?"

Yeah, this.

My quest for silly Skyrim mods is certainly turning out interesting.

RC-1991, Todd the Jedi and jSarek like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You suffer from multiply personalitydiscord?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ALL HAIL LOUIS, THE FOURTEENTH OF HIS NAME

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Ah yes, I've seen that video before.

The most absurd Skyrim mod I've ever seen is a HD Bunnies mod. GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Was anyone else as disappointed as I was that there was not more Jubal Early in Person of Interest?

10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Ah, so that's where I had seen that actor before. Thought he looked familiar.

That episode was amazing, the perfect end to that whole story arc, and Fusco's decision at the end was simply amazing, and such a great way to show how far he has come. Can someone tell me why PoI doesn't win all the awards ever? Because it is hands down the best show on television at the moment.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Person of Interest was on yesterday, let me guess after Rudolph?

12. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Should I start at the beginning with Person of Interest or is it a show I can just jump into?

I admit to giving it a pass because I saw "procedural on CBS" and thought it'd be another clone of NCIS or CSI, but it seems like EVERYONE I know loves it.

Would it be worth just starting with the first episode and doing a marathon to catch up?

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Person of Interest isn't a procedural beyond having its own formula. Tuesday night is my main TV night at the moment thanks to NCIS, NCIS: LA, and Person of Interest, though Almost Human is pretty darn entertaining after three episodes for Monday night.

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    My honest opinion would be to start at the beginning. There are pretty substantial character arcs (as well as villain arcs) throughout the show, and to just jump in would really sacrifice a lot of that growth and change. For instance, the mid-season finale that just aired was spectacular, but it would have been severely diminished without seeing where each of the characters had come from on the journey to that point, as well as the established emotional connections. Marathon would be my recommendation.

Oh god, it is so not a CSI/NCIS clone. If I were to compare it to anything, it would be a mixture of modern day Assassin's Creed and the Nolan Dark Knight films.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Person of Interest honestly has more in common with a fairly recent movie called Eagle Eye than anything else.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am currently watching Castle at Havac's behest. Since it is quite entertaining, it has opened me up to the possibility of considering other crime-related shows that I have previously avoided.

To that end, I submit a question to the floor. What should I watch next: The Wire or Person of Interest?

Zeta1127 and jSarek like this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Deadwood [face_dunno]

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've already started Deadwood and am halfway through the first season, but I'm taking a break from it right now. :p

19. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

If you're going to watch THE WIRE be aware it takes a few episodes to really kick in, and even then the pay off is more in the long running character arcs, although there's plenty of quotable moments and great bits within episodes. The first time I sat down to watch it I felt the pacing was slow and gave up for a few months. When I went back I just jumped in and once past the first few episodes I was completely sucked in.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I haven't watched Person of Interest, but, at the risk of sending you scurrying the other way Jello, you really have to watch The Wire. I promise you won't be disappointed. Writing - superb. Character development - real and meaningful. Heartbreaking - absolutely.

Plus, Baltimore is like a major character.

It's the last great television series not filmed in HD. It has it's flaws, but when viewed as a whole, it's like a love letter to the late, great Charm City.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am actually a Castle fan, but it's kind of hard to keep track of several shows, especially for Monday, which has the tendency to be the day when many shows I ended up liking are on, all competing for my attention, when I want to watch them all and don't have an easy way to do so.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, I still haven't forgiven NBC for canceling Chuck. Few TV shows have been such an all around pleasure to watch.

--Adm. Nick

23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    You can fume over Chuck all you want, I never watched it but it seems like many people liked it, and I will keep saying that the Fox executives who canceled Firefly are "going to burn in a very special level of Hell. One they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." At least they gained some common sense by picking up Almost Human by the looks of it.

Oh, and by the way, if I seem particularly happy today, it's because today is by birthday.

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Person of Interest.

Mia Mesharad and Zeta1127 like this.
  25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm leaning towards The Wire myself, because it's finished. Call me a no-good kid, but cliffhangers are evil :)

Right now I'm watching Mad men, though. Then maybe Buffy. Dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.