Lit CAD BANE IS DUROS (BUT ACKBAR IS WATCHING) - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    What is that? And I suspect it's the fans/subculture that pushes me away as much as anything else. That and it's usually giant space robots or martial arts; or those seem to be things people talk about.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I still think you'd love The Twelve Kingdoms. Some of the best character development I've seen in a protagonist.

Also: royalty.
  3. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Looking over my anime selection, I have three Studio Ghibli films, one Tezuka, one Capcom, and two Pokemon movies. Yeah, I have nothing to offer to this discussion, though I will recommend Metropolis. It was quite good.
  4. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I recently made the effort to watch at least all of Miyazaki's Ghibli films. They're all great, but some are definitely in a category with the greatest animated films ever. But even some of the lesser ones are still pretty high up there.

Take Porco Rosso. It takes place between the World Wars and focuses on a bi-plane pilot who works as a bounty hunter, as well as other pilots. And oh did I mention he's an anthropomorphic pig? :D It's actually a play on the Red Baron, since Porco Rosso is Italian for "Red Pig".

And damn, I think there's 16 or 17 Pokémon movies at this point. [face_plain]
  5. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I only have the first movie (Japanese dub) and Mewtwo Returns, because I'm a Mewtwo fangirl. Still need to get Genesect and the Legend Awakened, but that's not the Mewtwo from the first movie.

CLASSIC MEWTWO SHOT FIRST
    Todd the Jedi likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    @GrandAdmiralJello
    Super Short Version: Star Wars except that neither side is the clear good guy, and with less of a focus on individual heroics and more on strategy and politics. Also takes a lot from history, with the main character on the Empire side being heavily based on Alexander the Great. More than a little bit of philosophy in there as well.

And
    Show Spoiler
    the Empire wins. Though the Alliance gets the Emperor to agree to a constitution

Though now that I remember the plot more clearly, there is certainly one part that you wouldn't like, so never mind.
    Last edited by MercenaryAce, Jan 14, 2014
  7. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    You write the word spoiler inside brackets :p
    TrakNar likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    That was actually the first thing I did.

Why does it only work now?

....computers....
  9. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh sure, blame the computer. :p
  10. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  11. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    If you want another anime with great jazz music, I'd recommend Baccano!. It's like Highlander, but with 1930's gangsters.
  12. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Might I suggest The Big O? It always struck me as BtAS meets giant robots.
  13. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    It really is. And it was my second Anime. It's more high concept than Cowboy bebop, but suffers a bit from never having got the third season it was originally meant to. Still it's awesome. Basically Japan's take on Batman/Bruce Wayne. There are a ton of parallels to the original animated Batman.
  14. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Is Bebop butchered by the dub, as someone who has also been considering it (though I have SAO ATM to watch...)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, Bebop is one of the very few animes that I feel is actually improved by the dub. Granted, I only compared the first episode. Bebop is a very culturally diverse show- like Firefly, it takes place in a universe where various Earth cultures have been fused in entertaining ways- but there's no denying the huge American influence (I mean, look at the name. It's hard to find two things more readily associated with America than cowboys and Jazz music). As such, I found CB actually felt more natural in English, as opposed to all other anime that I've seen, where it's painfully obvious that the English dub is merely a translation. It helps that the dub is top notch quality.
    AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  16. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    ;)
    [IMG]

And yep the dub for Bebop is great, one, if not the best out there.
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Jan 15, 2014
  17. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I finally decided to sit through Citizen Kane. Just to tick it off the list of "classic films I should have seen by now, but haven't". Decent enough, I guess. I doubt I'd watch it again, though.

Show Spoiler
    It was his sled.
  18. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    What do you think of it from a Film Studies perspective regarding its use of camera angles, and transition shots? Also have you read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck? If yes did you notice/remember the homage’s to Citizen Kane?
  19. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    I watched the series subbed, and once accidentally watched several minutes of an English episode before I realized it was dubbed. So yeah, it's good.
  20. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I've heard that the creator of Bebop says he considers the dub to be the definitive version... so, yeah, I guess it's good.

Also STEVE BLUM. So, duh.

I'd give it a thumbs up, sure.
  21. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
  22. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Cowboy Bebop is about the only anime I'll watch.

Having Charles Foster Kane as one of the villains in the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was an inspired touch by Moore, to say the least.
  23. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

You might want to give Black Lagoon a try.
  24. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    DeargodPlanetofTwilightkillmenow.

The worst part is that there are flashes of good characterization, and a few scenes that could be very effective given better direction, but its surrounded by passive, meandering prose, most of which could be completely cut and have no effect on the story.
    Last edited by instantdeath, Jan 16, 2014
    Lugija, Gorefiend and RC-1991 like this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Huh?

Community is on tonight! Hope it is as good as Paradigms of Human Memory (but without the attempt to sink Jeff/Annie). Most the pre-screeners are saying it is a great episode, so we will see. Excited!

Anyone know where to watch the new episode of Archer? Been trying to find it.