main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What is that? And I suspect it's the fans/subculture that pushes me away as much as anything else. That and it's usually giant space robots or martial arts; or those seem to be things people talk about.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I still think you'd love The Twelve Kingdoms. Some of the best character development I've seen in a protagonist.

Also: royalty.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Looking over my anime selection, I have three Studio Ghibli films, one Tezuka, one Capcom, and two Pokemon movies. Yeah, I have nothing to offer to this discussion, though I will recommend Metropolis. It was quite good.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I recently made the effort to watch at least all of Miyazaki's Ghibli films. They're all great, but some are definitely in a category with the greatest animated films ever. But even some of the lesser ones are still pretty high up there.

Take Porco Rosso. It takes place between the World Wars and focuses on a bi-plane pilot who works as a bounty hunter, as well as other pilots. And oh did I mention he's an anthropomorphic pig? :D It's actually a play on the Red Baron, since Porco Rosso is Italian for "Red Pig".

And damn, I think there's 16 or 17 Pokémon movies at this point. [face_plain]

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I only have the first movie (Japanese dub) and Mewtwo Returns, because I'm a Mewtwo fangirl. Still need to get Genesect and the Legend Awakened, but that's not the Mewtwo from the first movie.

CLASSIC MEWTWO SHOT FIRST

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello
    Super Short Version: Star Wars except that neither side is the clear good guy, and with less of a focus on individual heroics and more on strategy and politics. Also takes a lot from history, with the main character on the Empire side being heavily based on Alexander the Great. More than a little bit of philosophy in there as well.

And
    the Empire wins. Though the Alliance gets the Emperor to agree to a constitution

Though now that I remember the plot more clearly, there is certainly one part that you wouldn't like, so never mind.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You write the word spoiler inside brackets :p

TrakNar likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That was actually the first thing I did.

Why does it only work now?

....computers....

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh sure, blame the computer. :p

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  11. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    If you want another anime with great jazz music, I'd recommend Baccano!. It's like Highlander, but with 1930's gangsters.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Might I suggest The Big O? It always struck me as BtAS meets giant robots.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It really is. And it was my second Anime. It's more high concept than Cowboy bebop, but suffers a bit from never having got the third season it was originally meant to. Still it's awesome. Basically Japan's take on Batman/Bruce Wayne. There are a ton of parallels to the original animated Batman.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is Bebop butchered by the dub, as someone who has also been considering it (though I have SAO ATM to watch...)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, Bebop is one of the very few animes that I feel is actually improved by the dub. Granted, I only compared the first episode. Bebop is a very culturally diverse show- like Firefly, it takes place in a universe where various Earth cultures have been fused in entertaining ways- but there's no denying the huge American influence (I mean, look at the name. It's hard to find two things more readily associated with America than cowboys and Jazz music). As such, I found CB actually felt more natural in English, as opposed to all other anime that I've seen, where it's painfully obvious that the English dub is merely a translation. It helps that the dub is top notch quality.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    ;)
    [​IMG]

And yep the dub for Bebop is great, one, if not the best out there.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I finally decided to sit through Citizen Kane. Just to tick it off the list of "classic films I should have seen by now, but haven't". Decent enough, I guess. I doubt I'd watch it again, though.

It was his sled.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you think of it from a Film Studies perspective regarding its use of camera angles, and transition shots? Also have you read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck? If yes did you notice/remember the homage’s to Citizen Kane?

19. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I watched the series subbed, and once accidentally watched several minutes of an English episode before I realized it was dubbed. So yeah, it's good.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I've heard that the creator of Bebop says he considers the dub to be the definitive version... so, yeah, I guess it's good.

Also STEVE BLUM. So, duh.

I'd give it a thumbs up, sure.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Cowboy Bebop is about the only anime I'll watch.

Having Charles Foster Kane as one of the villains in the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was an inspired touch by Moore, to say the least.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You might want to give Black Lagoon a try.

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    DeargodPlanetofTwilightkillmenow.

The worst part is that there are flashes of good characterization, and a few scenes that could be very effective given better direction, but its surrounded by passive, meandering prose, most of which could be completely cut and have no effect on the story.

Lugija, Gorefiend and RC-1991 like this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Huh?

Community is on tonight! Hope it is as good as Paradigms of Human Memory (but without the attempt to sink Jeff/Annie). Most the pre-screeners are saying it is a great episode, so we will see. Excited!

Anyone know where to watch the new episode of Archer? Been trying to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.