main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh.

Well, now I feel like a ****.

Sorry about that.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the Wraith logo. I was going to use the iconic Allston face palm from C5 but as I wasn't there, I felt using the Wraith symbol as a tribute was more appropriate.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Indeed.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Had to do what I had to do.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Starfighters of Adumar is my favorite Allston book, so setting aside DT for a bit in remembrance. :(

blackmyron and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Still haven't read most of FOTJ, but same here with Mercy Kill.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only thing that stopped me up until this point was not wanting to read anything, as far as novels, set after the NJO, but that is just a poor excuse now, because with the loss of Aaron Allston and Michael Stackpole apparently leaving Star Wars for good after the Dark Tide Duology, we may never get another X-wing novel again.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Read Mercy Kill and loved it.

Haven't read LOTF or FOTJ and have no intent to.

You don't need 'em to read Mercy Kill! That's part of its genius!

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've got about 20 pages of Kenobi left and I was planning to pick up the X-Wing series at some point; now looks like a good time.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It's never not a good time to read the X-Wing books, but now is a particularly apt time, yes.

My recent read-through of them did highlight a bit of whiplash between the two authors, so I'd actually recommend going out of order: first, the Rogue books (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gambit, The Krytos Trap and The Bacta War), then Isard's Revenge, then the Wraith books (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command) and Starfighters of Adumar last to close it out.

Stackpole and Allston did a great job getting the continuity and characterizations to flow between the books, but their writing styles are so different that going in original publishing order hurts some of the later stories, especially Isard's Revenge. Clumping the different authors' works together would probably help keep the flow and pace of the series consistent; you'd just have to keep in mind that the Wraith books take place after TBW and before Isard's Revenge.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The one I just downloaded was Rogue Squadron. I'll catch up with you guys in the cynical re-read thread at some point.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    ACKBAR IS BACK

Well, maybe not Ackbar, but I am returned to the States and back in action. Starting a trip viewing the US Pacific Fleet in San Diego and ending it in Antigua, Guatemala was a rather interesting experience, but I am glad to be back home in rainy, coastal northern California. [:D]

--Adm. Nick

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tread carefully.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

oh hai.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Once you start this series you might never come back out..............
    And second, there are 2 different authors with two different styles. Yes there are similarities but there are differences. One might work but the other might not.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Wait, were you there?

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Welcome back, Nick! I'm experimenting in some new wines today, I'll report back to you with tasting notes later.

*they're old world, of course. As always :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Let me know how they turn out and what they are!

I had some incredible Argentine wines on my trip. The best was a red wine blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah by a winemaker called Santa Ana. This particular wine was called Unanime Gran Vino Tinto and it was incredibly good and very reasonably priced.

--Adm. Nick

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I LIVE there. :p

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I finally got around to bouncing a Scyther for a Scizor. I intend to rename Highlander to Xizor, because it rhymes with Scizor.

My news is not as exciting as Nick's.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So I'm pretty well versed in TESO now, and have been able to spend a lot more time with it than I did last time there was a beta event. My biggest regret for the game was that they approached it from the ground up to be a factional war game with the Aldmeri Dominion, the Ebonhart Pact, and the Daggerfall Covenant, thus splitting the game into three separate territories. I think ideally Tamriel would be best served by a system similar to Everquest with a starting zone in each province. Alas.. at least they've allowed for preorders to play any race in any faction -- and I find the argument that it breaks lore amusing considering there are NPCs of other races in the factions already.

The fact that the game will allow you to skip the starter islands is actually really beneficial, especially if they've altered the levels of the mobs around the new starter cities. It's about 8 hours of content (if you do it all) to get out of the starter zones, although the Aldmeri Dominion was the last one created and they didn't create a second area you're locked in until you complete a quest line.

Other than that, I've discovered that I don't think I want to play as a Templar. And I've done about levels 1-7 of EP and 1-10 of DC, and nothing of AD, so I might be fated to play AD at launch.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Wait, you live in Antigua? Your profile says you are from Yavin Four. ;)

(Suddenly remembers that Yavin Base shots were of the Tikal pyramids)

OMG!! :eek:

So close, and I didn't even know it!

--Adm. Nick

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    You can, you know, IP stalk. You do have modly powers, after all.:p

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Soooo good to sleep in for the first time in four months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.