main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I looked for you at Celebration but couldn't find you.

Then I realized I didn't know what you actually looked like.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I asked a question at the Del Rey panel but I suppose there was no reason to know it was me. It wasn't like C3 where I asked about the Remnant (and they lied to me).

Next time the goal is to have a GA uniform. Hopefully.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I admit it - I was looking for a guy walking around in a Grand Admiral uniform.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    JJM said Happy Birthday to me on Facebook once.
    Did you get any santorum on you?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think I've met anyone especially famous - Adam Hart-Davis (of Local Heroes and What the Romans Did for Us) and David Attenborough (of a huge number of nature programmes) are the only ones that spring to mind.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just purchased a present from the gift list for my friends' upcoming wedding!

GETTING MAD EXCITED.

I mean, I've been to weddings before (social butterfly, yo), but this is the first time it's like, two of my good friends getting married to EACH OTHER. I didn't know it was possible to be so happy on someone else's behalf, but apparently it is.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All that talk about school dreams a couple of pages back and I had a school dream.

The new year had started and my schedule was all over the place. Every time I thought I had figured out what my schedule would be, it would change again.

It was basically the Star Wars Films of school dreams.

8. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I had a dream last night where I was a fighter pilot who got killed in combat and came back as a ghost to help the ghosts of a friend's parents defend my friend's rural homestead from a bunch of treasure-hunting thugs. After that, I kinda hung out with my folks and told'em goodbye before "going on."

Yeah, weird.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, those are the best types of weddings. I'm all wedding'd out since I've just had tons and tons and tons over the past couple of years, but the ones with friends still have that elusive magical quality. Especially if it involves friends getting together who haven't seen each other in years.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm going to guess that TSA doesn't have an Instagram feed of all the stolen expensive electronic equipment the police have found at TSA employees' homes... [face_laugh]

Goodwood likes this.
  12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Now that's just the TSA rubbing it in.

Revanfan1, Cynical_Ben and CooperTFN like this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Honestly, I can't imagine there'll be many people there who I know well and also haven't seen in years. Maybe a few.

Though, even if there isn't an elusive magical quality, there'll be a goddamn Batman quality: the ceremony is at TDKR Wayne Manor. [face_devil] <- (Pretend that's Batman)

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [​IMG] - I'm Batman.

[​IMG] - I'm the goddamn Batman.

[face_chicken] - I'm bantam.

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know you have no life when you argue with your cat over her not wanting to eat her cat food until you mix in her old cat food.

And as for Santorum... no. I mostly chatted up the Fox News cameraman about consumer camera quality versus TV camera quality and general videography.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I haven't had many in-person meetings with famous people in my life. Can only think of one, really: when I was in high school, I got to meet the then-mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley, at a little 'do he and the Chicago Board of Education held at City Hall in honor of the National Merit finalists at the city's high schools. Each of us got called up to a little certificate and a little Chicago photo book (which I think I still have somewhere) presented to us by the mayor, who also shook of each of our hands for a little photo-op. Except I was so nervous I ran off too quickly, and they had to bring me back, so my photo shows me shaking hands with the then-head of the Chicago Board of Ed, though I'm still standing right next to Daley:

[​IMG]

I remember being surprised at how short he was (especially next to the Board of Ed head, who was pretty much a Titaness), and that my first impression was that he was rather awkward and a bit of a dork. But then, I'm one to talk. :D

Oh, OK, also, my mom's best friend is a fairly well-known Chicago politician, so I guess that counts.

Barriss_Coffee and Trip like this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Very interesting article about the early days at LucasArts. Who would've guessed it began as a tax dodge for Lucas?

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    RE: Famous people.

My mum's cousin (so my first cousin-once-removed) was famous enough to be romantically linked to Scarlett Johansson, back in the day (mid 2000s). Of course, it was all nonsense and her publicist called him a fantasist. But, still, it's worth mentioning.

I remember talking to him at a funeral a short time after (with few exceptions, we only ever meet at funerals) and saying, "Man, I was so disappointed that wasn't an actual thing" and he was just, like, "Me too, mate. Me too." Though he insisted that he didn't know where the rumour came from, and was frustrated that the entire story had made him look like a ****.

Oh, and one of my second cousins on the other side of the family was Miss Universe. Never met her, though. And, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my dad were lying about being related to her, anyway.

An an unrelated note:

AWESOME!!!

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray! I just managed to log onto the #EU IRC chat all by myself! :D

GrandAdmiralJello , TrakNar and Trip like this.
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Loser says...

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Apparently I'm somewhat closely related to Elvis (which makes sense geographically) and slightly less closely to the Kennedys (which makes very little sense). If it's true, I'm some sort of major midcentury cultural missing link.

But more interestingly and less questionably, I have a friend who is a direct descendant of the pirate Jean LaFitte. Like, full genealogy, about 8 generations back, no question.

Revanfan1 and Ulicus like this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Doctor Who: Into Darkness?

Ulicus and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Made some decent trades in Wonder Trade and GTS today. I'm happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.