main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The only thing I know of Hercules is Meg's song, which is great. Perhaps one day I will finally watch these Disney films that I know from all the kid's storybooks and Read Along cassettes. But first Disney should put them all in Netflix or release a box set with a pile of these films, I don't want to buy a Special Ruby Sapphire Edition of all of them.

Hah, perhaps I'll check it out then.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hercules has one of my favorite Disney villains in it: James Woods as Hades. It's a role that he clearly has so much fun in that he's reprised it in just about every other appearance of the character, including the Kingdom Hearts games. Aside from that and Meg having a decent character arc, though, I wasn't a fan.

Also, Great Mouse Detective.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, Great Mouse Detective, I loved that.

Oh, Rattigan,
    Oh, Rattigan,
    Words, words, words, more, wooooords,
    To Rattigan,
    To Rattigan,
    Something, something, mastermind.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    here

Cynical_Ben and Zorrixor like this.
  5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, such nostalgia. [face_love]

And it reminds me of something else that I love (but never realised as a kid): VINCENT PRICE!! [face_devil]

Barriss_Coffee and Cynical_Ben like this.
  6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    He did say it was his favorite role he ever took, since he got to act as over-the-top as he possibly could and it worked brilliantly.

Zorrixor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait what? Vincent Price was the baddie in that and I never knew it all these years?!? GAH. I had to IMDB that to confirm it! ****!!!

Gamiel and Zorrixor like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You doubted my accuracy?! You wound me, Coffee, wound me! :_|

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I saw The Great Mouse Detective at least once when I was a kid in the 90s. I can't remember a thing about it, but I definitely saw it because my neighbors were the Ratigans, so I'd always sing that song whenever I saw them.

But knowing what I know about Price now, I'd definitely consider revisiting it to experience some quality voice work from him. :D

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say the line "a job is a job" is simply reflective of the time.

Nonetheless, one of the key bits of advice my Dad gave me was that I should enjoy what I do. There's a fair amount of logic to it - if you're going to spend 37 hours contracted hours doing something, you need to find something to like about it, even if it ain't the greatest job ever. And yes, you work contracted hours.

That said, I am utterly capitalistic on employment - you want me to work for you? Pay me. You want me to prove how good by working for free? All that proves is I'm dead cheap. (I have a terrible sense of self-worth, but it ain't that low.)

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So there's a Frozen EU on the way. There are two books coming out in January that follow the events of the film, followed by two more novels at the end of the year.

And three or four novels planned yearly after that.

Bwahaha awesome.

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I won't get excited until the Frozen Story Group confirms them as canon.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They need to hire me to be the Frozen story group. Like yesterday.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So no sequel yet?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anna turns out to be a Sith Lord. You just thought she was leading Elsa in the right direction, but she was manipulating her all along.

Hans is the real good guy. He's just misunderstood.

Oh, and there will be a scene with Kristoff torturing Olaf for information, and another scene with him tying up Sven.

And let's not even talk about those trolls.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yearly? Wow. Is that normal for any animated film?

A few spin-offs right when a film comes out, sure, but... wow, amazed that they plan to keep doing more long, long after the film.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No sequel planned yet -- but this EU is planning to tell the events after the film, as is Once. Will there be canon tiers? Time will tell!

And yeah, yearly. The insane success of the film caught Disneu off guard and he's said he wants a five year franchise at minimum. So yeah, it's going to keep on being a thing. And I couldn't be happier.

It's unprecedented, I'll grant. But I'm happy for it.

Zorrixor likes this.
  18. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    So, I just heard that Straczynski is working on a Babylon 5 reboot feature film, which is everything you just had to expect based on what happened with Star Trek and JMS' desire to make his franchise more lasting (and comparable to Trek) than it was. It is also kind of weird and disturbing, especially after I read the totally correct comment that we live in an age of TV shows replacing movies (save for huge franchises turning into serials); turning your SF TV show into a feature movie is so dated, so Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Breaking: more of that thing people liked coming.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Mmmh... B5 reboot? Bleh... don't know how I feel about that.

And if it's a reboot as a film... again, bleh, I'm unsure how that'd work, as what made B5 so awesome was how big it was. Can you compress that down without it being lame? I mean, it's primarily about one space station... and that's not the most exciting locale for a sci-fi film.

And vice versa, if they go for the Shadow War, again, awesome... but then the film wouldn't get much time to focus on the station, which... suddenly makes it not really anything to do with B5. So... I dunno.
    Very interesting.

Although my first reaction was skepticism that they won't be able to match the original's success (as most Disney sequels have been trash, see: the Little Mermaid trilogy, Jungle Book 2, Cinderella spin-offs, etc), but then I thought: Toy Story has pulled off successful sequels, so it's not impossible.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but those were deliberately direct-to-video. They wouldn't dare do that to Frozen. Their failure to announce a sequel shows thatctheyveabt to treat it right.

TS proves cinematic sequels work. It's the video ones that suck.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Cars 2 and whatever the **** that new thing is are both cinema releases. Whether the original concept warrants a sequel is as important as the resources given to it.

23. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    B-B5 reboot? Frozen books? Did I just step into bizarro world or something...?

Frozen books... Hm, should be fun I suppose...? I admit I am curious how things go after the film, as 'feel good' vibes aside many of the issues in the film were only resolved in a temporary manner. Elsa still can cause problems by emotional outbursts. Anna fell in love with the second young man she spent more than five minutes with, and has no life experience. Kristoff may have fallen for Anna, but is still a man of very little stature in the Kingdom, in love with a Princess. There are things to explore, but I'm not sure about Frozen becoming a franchise.

B5 could be very good or very bad. They can either make an excellent film that captures the early part of the story effectively, or they can try and compress far too much into a film that feels rushed and sloppy. I suppose time will tell.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A B5 revival of some kind (if not a reboot) would be a good thing in theory, since otherwise it's likely to just vanish down the bottomless pit of stillborn franchises. But a feature film does not sound like the way to do it. We're kind of living in the golden age of the serialized television drama that B5 was something of a forerunner of, so if you want to bring it back why not go there?

Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so adverse to space opera on TV these days anyway.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd love it if the Frozen EU addressed not only the things Alixen mentioned, but also 19th century revolutionary stuff. The film is set just before the revolutions of 1848 -- and I'd think what Elsa did would cause some revolutionary sentiments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.