main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll pick GotM because it sounds like a Burroughs title. With some title tweaking, I can see it being in the Barsoom series. Gardens of Mars. I'd read it.

</not sure what books you're talking about, so here's my arbitrary pick for different reasons nonetheless>

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Just finished Season 1 of Arrow.

Sooooo intense! TOMMY! :_|

Season 2, hurry up!

darthscott3457 likes this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Sounds like an episode of Game of Thrones vs an episode of Doctor Who.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess I'll have read them both at the same time, alternating pages.

5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Don't, you'll be insanely confused in Gardens if you do that (you might be anyway, it can be like that since among other things Malazan has no main protagonist but a cast of hundreds). I do recommend the series, it is mind-blowing (even more so on a re-read when you pick up in book 6 something that will be relevant in book 9 and so on).

EDIT: This reread makes it more easy for first time readers (just avoid the comments, sometimes a few spoilers slip through). And as Jedi Ben said, GotM isn't typical, there was a ten year gap between when it was written and the rest of the series. The second book, Deadhouse Gates is much better (in fact it's my favorite one). Sigh ... the Chain of Dogs ...

tjace and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    I'll add my recommendation for the Malazan books as well. The books are huge, they're very dense, they have a dizzying number of different races and species, and so many characters I have trouble keeping track of them all. Processing all that information is especially difficult when you suffer from CRS like I do :p . But that's also why I love the series. There's a ton of world-building, and a real sense of history that gets put into the setting that I really love.

While I'm on the subject, I want to thank those members of the Lit forum who've been talking up the Malazan series over the past year or two. Y'all got my curious, and now I'm hooked [face_peace].

Darth_Garak likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    DM,

Read Blade of Tyshalle first, you'll need months to get through Malazan!

Oho? Didn't know there was that gap. One of my favourite scenes is at the finale of Toll the Hounds.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I love this show. When you get a chance to catch up you need to follow Stephen Amell on facebook. He's quite possibly the best celebrity on facebook. However there might be some spoilers so I'd wait to do that until you catch up unless you've already been spoiled.

darthscott3457 and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    That gap was when he was searching for a publisher. A lot them told him that it's a wonderful idea and all that but it's just too ambitious, he should try to make something easier for the reader like other authors. Thankfully Erikson stuck with it and we now have this amazing series. I'm pretty sure I know which scene you're talking about, though this series is littered with memorable scenes. Btw TtH was actually the first one I read in the series, having picked up randomly in a bookstore. It was the most confusing and yet awesome reading experience ever. Oh and half the books in this series made me cry - the only books to ever do that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Couldn't agree more. I wish other actors on other shows would get as involved as he is or be as enthusiastic about his role. I hope Grant Gustin will do the same with the Flash.

s65horsey and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Has anyone told The2ndQuest that the Deadpool movie is slated to open in 2016? Because I feel like it's something he should know. Also, related, Josh Trank's Fantastic Four got slid back to Aug. 7, 2015, which is where the Assassin's Creed movie had been set previously. Said movie has been delayed (again) and has no new release date as of now.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was bouncing off the walls in the Deadpool movie thread in Amp earlier. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding the Assassin's Creed delay, someoneon Kotaku had the winning comment:

"The delay for AC is understandable. There'll be women in the movie, and they take longer to render."

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello You are about 14 years behind in calling for an election in that game. No wonder Scotland almost decided to leave.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And in the aftermath of the vote - Scottish Civil War has begun. Albeit of the virtual / Facebook variety....

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    To my friends across the pond, a gift from your American cousin in light of yesterday's vote:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

darthscott3457 and Zorrixor like this.
  18. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    And from me:

May the bonds that unite Britain shatter as soon as possible.

19. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Also, Bruce Timm will be ExecProducing a three episode Justice League animated series to be hosted on Machinima (who Warner Bros recently invested in) in the lead up to a new DTV movie "Justice League: Gods & Monsters" next year. It will, quote, “revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC Universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the Super Heroes that people think they know.” As if the New 52 and upcoming films didn't do this already.

darthscott3457 and Gamiel like this.
  22. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Really excited about this one, but I would like it more if the mood wasn't dark and gritty.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If Supergirl is introduced to the Arrowflashverse before Superman I'm going to be mega confused and annoyed. Unless Superman doesn't exist at all in the Arrowflashverse.

Though, in that case, I'd want her to be Superwoman.

Kylun and darthscott3457 like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't think Supergirl is airing on CW. So it will probably be distinct from the Arrowflashverse.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    CooperTFN and s65horsey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.