main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is it that you dislike about the writing?

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Favorite thing I learned today:

Remember the Galaxy of Fear books? You know, silly Goosebumps in Space children's books about a pair of goofy kids bumbling from Imperial terror weapon to Imperial terror weapon with their gimmickily useful shapeshifting uncle and always running into major film and/or EU characters in the process? Written by John Whitman, who, in the tradition of minor nineties sci-fi tie-in work, you would expect to be a fat, middle-aged man with a beard. Perhaps a kindly older man, given his choice of children's fiction.

According to Wookieepedia, this is John Whitman:

[​IMG]

"He is a 5th-degree black belt and defensive tactics instructor in Krav Maga, and has trained in protective services and defensive tactics in both the United States and in Israel. Whitman teaches civilian, military, and law enforcement personnel, and has served as an instructor for elite military units in the United States and abroad. He is the founder of the Krav Maga Alliance, an international organization of Krav Maga schools, and served as president of Krav Maga Worldwide for 7 years."

EXPECTATIONS DEFIED.

Point Given , Ulicus , Trip and 11 others like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I wonder if he's ever had the occasion to meet Matt Stover...

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    ...I never thought the day would come when I would have cause to wonder what else the author of Galaxy of Fear could write.

6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    It's... uh, childish. It does not have the weight I demand from writing, the displacement. Also, I like the premise of an unknown catastrophe leaving only pockets of civilization in the Nordic countries intact, but I can't say the idea is well handled. I read the premise and was anxious to read a story about a return to the age of myth. Instead, I got a thoroughly modern story, with only undeveloped hints of a North Germanic-flavored return to Iron Age barbarism ("barbarism" is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you). I haven't gotten through more than 30 pages because of this, so this might be explored later in the story, but the mix of modern sensibilities and old myth is jarring in the pages I've read.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I recommend jumping directly into chapter 1, the prologue is a bit long

Starkeiller likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's amazing, Hav. I was rereading the first GoF book a couple months ago and I never thought for a second the author would be skilled at ass-kicking.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh cool, you got a shot of the Servian with people in it. That's helpful for scale, especially next to those shots you have of the Aurelian Walls.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe there's moments in the series where, on closer examination, it stands out that the author Knows What He's Talking About?

I've only got the first two, and can't remember anything especially standing out - but that may be the sign of a good author - not overdoing the infodumping.

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    According to Wookieepedia, books about Krav Maga and 24 tie-in novels. Plus all the 90s audio drama adaptations, actually, which i didn't know.

Also he was going to write a fairy-tale-themed series around the Solo kids but it was canceled.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    WHAT. People always talk about what's it called and this was canceled too? I would've totally read that. Might've been better than GoF because the fairy tale aspect sounds amazing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    A fairy-tale around the Solo kids?

So like The Crystal Star, just with more talking animals, and everyone living happily ever after after Waru brings peace to all.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Having now finished the story that came with the shipped game, I'd like to amend this to: "Shaky first season, but enough promise to come back for season 2".

Also, the game is addictive enough that it's halved the amount I smoke. So that's a massive point in its favour.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never got the point of The Sims, but... that article is hilarious, yes. :D

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've found the first three Sims games enjoyable enough. Even way back with TS1 people were making EU characters. In fact, I will show you what makes Sims fun. Aaand... yes, I still have the screenshot from 13 years ago.

Here it is: [​IMG]

Also it was fun schooling Thrawn in chess and such.

LI: Yeah but points for cleverness and effort -- at least the Sim looks properly Palpatinic. Nobody knows about Ederlathh anyway, sadly.

Revanfan1, Darth_Garak and TrakNar like this.
  21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    According to Wookieepedia once more:

Fairy Tales: Jaina and the Hanadak was a planned young readers book, to be written by John Whitman and illustrated by Kathy Mitchell. In it, Jaina Solo would try to visit the Old Forest Woman on Endor, but instead encountered the carnivorous Hanadak beast.

Fairy Tales: The Twins and the Taloden was a planned young readers book to be written by John Whitman and illustrated by Kathy Mitchell. In it, the Solo Twins would go to a museum on Tatooine, to discover the Taloden, a snake-like enchanter who turned the museum curator's son into a dewback.

That's all that seems to be known.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Hmm hmm hmmm I had hoped for Empire II :/

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    !! Family tree! Separate Senate and popular support!! This is what Rome II needed all along. I'm glad it's finally being done and I'm happy to see a late antiquity setting properly done but i wish they'd implement this into Rome II as well.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I will reserve judgment on that point until I see the final product.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well. They've got the hats and offices right, at least. And the religions map is pretty nice.

I'm going to restore Roma to get rightful status as the imperial capital, restore the Religio Romana, and put the Senate back in charge. It'll be wonderful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

26. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Did you watch Ancient Impossible on H2 over the past few months, Jello? Its right up your alley, because it talks a lot about what Rome, and also the various Hellenic civilizations and Egypt among other civilizations, were capable of. The two things I found most intriguing was the evidence for Roman cataphracts and a carriage or cart-mounted ballista on a 360 degree mount and pulled by armored horses, called the ballista quadratus, used to defend the borders of the Empire at its height. (Don't quote me on the quadratus part, I can't seem to find the term or a similarly spelled term in other sources and I have only heard it spoken on the show.)

27. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I looked up the Roman episode. It seemed pretty terrible to me. Liberal use of superlatives, copious pop history "Nero died and the Empire fell soon after due to high taxes" etc. Doesn't seem very intriguing sadly.

Oh, also I was playing that Assault Team game on iOS to try to unlock the Palace level -- and some Imp officer called Han and co. "Scruffy looking Gandlovers."

So I guess that's canon now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.