main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, not sure I'd want to try to walk in that.

Cool-looking though.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, dance games are the one thing the Kinect actually does well...

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah about the only thing it doess well, :p

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It is one of the most hilariously stupid things that has ever appeared on television screens in the entire history of the planet of Earth.

My wife watches strictly to make fun of it, and at multiple points throughout, I pulled my hair and shouted, "THIS IS A SHOW THAT EXISTS?!"

To call it fan fiction would be marring the concept of fan fiction.

It's the The Room of network television.

It is AMAZING.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Randomly ask GrandAdmiralJello about his opinion about something related to aristocracy time

-Do you think that the actions of Toph Beifong and her daughters are appropriate for ones of their heritage? In particular, is acting as a policewoman a dignified position for a noble, or utterly beneath them?

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Signified position or no, who's going to try and tell Toph what she can and can't do.

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah I thought they blew his face off irl, what gives?

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Eh, I enjoy it. It's the uniqueness of it all that I like. But this is coming from the mind of a writer, so of course I'm looking for things like that in the show. Personally, I think it's quite ingenious.

Barriss_Coffee and _Catherine_ like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Probably well beneath them, but I don't think it's stopped Toph before. She's not exactly one to stand on ceremony.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    At least not with shoes on.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Thank you for the answer.

In other news, enjoy this video:

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Pffffffuhhhhuhuheheheh... heheh... haha. You're the nicest guy, but I have to say na-nay-no on that, having written a novel myself. :p

Once Upon a Time is BAD. It's good-bad, but it's bad. It just is. It started as a show about fairy tales with laughably bad dialogue, and now it's just characters stepping directly out of Disney movies with laughably bad dialogue, and it all just seems like an enormous joke.

If you want to know why Once Upon a Time is bad, read Fables. The show started out as a pilot for Fables before it became its own thing, and... yeah. No. Yeah,

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well...agree to disagree, then. I think it's great.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You sound like one of those people who say "If you want to know why Star Wars is bad, watch Star Trek."

Once is not remotely trying for the same thing as Fables -- to judge it because it's not Fables is akin to saying that there's only one conceivable way to tell a certain type of story. It's sentimental, silly, and sometimes cheesy -- and that's entirely by design. You seem to be lambasting them for a legitimate creative choice.

I quite enjoy Once, and I enjoy what little I've read of Fables. I think they're both different, and both good.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While I agree with PC's general take on Once Upon a Time, I also have to agree with this sentiment. Comparing it to Fables is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Did you ask him to change his ways?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

But Star Wars wasn't originally conceived as a pilot for Star Trek. Once Upon a Time was conceived as a pilot for Fables. Once Upon a Time is the reason there is no Fables television progrum. I think that's pretty significant justification for comparison.

But apples weren't once oranges. [face_monkey]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, not really. Shows that are pitched as pilots get changed all the time -- Once was created because they had the TV rights for Fables, but they chose to make it something else.

You can be unhappy that there's no Fables TV show, that's totally fair. And it would also be totally fair to say it's a bad show if it was actually trying to be Fables and sucking terribly at it. But they changed direction between the pitching/piloting and the greenlighting -- Once is inspired by Fables, but isn't really an attempt to adapt it to TV anymore.

Take, say, the first two Nolan Batman films. You could say you disagree with the gritty take on the subject matter, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad. But with the third Nolan Batman film, you might well say that you both disagree with the gritty take and you think it's a bad film.

edit: And I don't mean to say that Once is great TV or one of the greatest shows ever produced. But if you like fairy tales and if you're alright with a sentimental take on them, then I think it's a good show for you. If you don't, well that's alright -- you don't.

20. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    It's also just... you know... poorly written.

Look, don't get me wrong; I didn't believe in the term "guilty pleasure" before this show came along, because even all the so-bad-it's-good movies I enjoy, I do so without irony. But in this case, it was always intriguing to figure out who was going to turn out to be which fairy tale characters and see how they wove them together... and naturally, it had dialogue that just makes me hang my head in shame while laughing hysterically; there were literally THREE occasions where I was able to predict the line, "BUT WAIT! All magic has a price!"

But what was once a show about nuanced retellings of fairy tales has become a show wherein popular Disney characters literally step through portals and into this 1-hour dramatic television series. I'm sorry, but Rumplestiltskin and Belle (whose name was revealed to be "BELLE FRENCH") dancing TO THE SONG from the Disney movie is hilarious, and I would defy you to go back in time to before the show existed, decontextualize that thought, and not to laugh your royal ass off.

EDIT: But let's not do the whole, "Well, reason reason reason, so this is GOOD and not BAD!" thing. These are all opinions. None are superior. When I say it's bad, it means I think it's bad, just the same as when you say it's good, it means you think it's good. I'm sure we can all handle being told a thing we like is bad. This is the internet. We pretty much have to.

And yes, I can compare Fables and Once Upon a Time. They're both (would-be) shows about modern real-world interpretations of fairy tales. Step back a second... seriously, it would be ridiculous to suggest that those two things don't merit comparison. I'm not saying it changes anything, but I like one and dislike the other. I can compare them. It's OK. People can compare things.

Vthuil likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not bothered by the comparison, I just think it's silly. As to your actual thoughts about the show and its use of Disney -- well, I'm not aiming to change your mind about it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So how is the Frozen stuff handled in it? If you ask me it's entirely too soon to act like it's a piece of folklore in the way other Disney princesses and fairy tales are. Even Star Wars characters would work better since they - especially villains - have become modern versions of fairy tale people and can be used without the burden of the original world. As long as Vader has a helmet, casual relationships with his underlings and a son he works as well as Cinderella with just the shoe and the pumpkins.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh hey it's my birthday or something. I'm 25 I guess.

[​IMG]

Yay.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Happy birthday! Have fun if it's not awful.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  25. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Cynical_Ben Have a happy cynical birthday.

EDIT: I love the fact that you aren't cynical at all.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.