main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Erm...

*has totally not just changed his avatar again*

What? [face_batting]

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Avatars, who needs 'em? That's what I say.

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Its amazing how just one more turn syndrome takes over when playing Civ.

Liking it so far, having not read about the game play going in, I liked having the opportunity to pick the profession of the people founding the colony when starting up. I do miss a few elements form other Civ games though.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I get "Just One More Trade" for Wonder Trade. It's a damn slot machine.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Go away Zaheer. :p

Oh, this was post 14,000.

PARRRRRTY!

[​IMG]

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No. You can be if:

You get a chair.
    Have meetings - with minutes
    Set up sub-committees
    Have one committee member who never contributes, while another never shuts up and makes the same point 10 times

Then you'll be a committee!

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have been thinking of changing my avatar as of late - particularly something that had more of my favorite color (blue) and less of my least favorite (yellow) - but I can't really think of anything that goes with my username.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, I know! You want to get a committee, hire Sivron, Tol Sivron!

[​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    BEHOLD MY LITERAL HEART OF DIAMOND!!!!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Here are some blue-ish looking fighters that a mercenary might use:

http://swc.fs2downloads.com/media/screenshots/Fighters-Other/Uglies/deathseed.jpg (large image_

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, Gamiel and MercenaryAce like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Ooh, thanks! The R-41 is one of my old favorites, and I love the look of the swept wing Z-95. Cloackshape isn't bad either....hmmm....decisions decisions.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I wonder where those renders came from because they look pretty amazing. And yeah -- I remember you'd commented positively about the R-41 before, which is what led me in this direction.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, an X-Tie! That takes me back.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh, most of those aren't renders - they are scratchbuilt models. I recognize them from this site I used to visit. I completely forgot about them until now.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, no wonder they look so good.

The Ugly seems to be built using the XWA engine -- we got to see a lot of Uglies thanks to mods for that game.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I want to say those are Wong's custom models.

Won my first game on Vostok (I think, whatever the Medium equivalent is) Marathon on Tau Ceti. Slavs ended with an Exodus victory, with 12/18/8 affinity. Destroyed Franco Iberia (half to annoy Jello) and nearly wiped out Polystralia when I set up the last Human settlement for Earth refugees. Maybe it was the map, but for the first 650 turns or so, Planet was at peace, and even the aliens were rather sedate.

Gorefiend and MercenaryAce like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope you're proud of yourself as the future of humanity sits around scratching their butts and flinging poo everywhere because you've destroyed all that is good about civilization.

18. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Wong's sculpts, that's it.

Anyway, the pictures are good, but they don't seem to show up very well in the avatar. So I went with the Mobius Squadron symbol for now. Maybe change it again later, as I am indecisive

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You just like to think about pistol-whipping me.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    What, the aristocracy that believes themselves to be more important than everyone else by luck of birth? Pah. I went purity, and preserved the best of humanity, and then opened up up a warp gate to share the new world with those left behind on Earth, not just those rich, powerful, or lucky enough to get a berth on the colony ships.

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I think you're a little confused. You're thinking of ARC or PAC there -- y'know, the corporate factions who only care about profits and their bottom line. ;) Remember which countries Franco-Iberia constitutes: Spain, France, and Italy as their main groups -- know what they all have in common aside from wonderful history and culture?

They're not ruled by "the rich, powerful, and lucky" -- you're thinking of Asia and North America there. :)

edit: Who were you playing as, anyway?

22. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Nope, I'm not confused. I will have nothing to do with Miss raised-in-luxury self-proclaimed arbiter of culture. She may be intent on preserving culture, but only the Western European stuff that she deems worthy.
    "I do not subscribe to the notion that all ideas are worthy of preservation. Some are reprehensible, and through diligent study you may detect the shadow of these ideas before they reform within the zeitgeist, and choose a different path for yourself before they infect minds again. Some are banal, and have been culled because the ideas within them, although perhaps worthy, were expressed with considerable crudity. Some are preserved as historical curiosities, fashionable nonsense which you may examine and mock for their shortcomings. I have labelled these latter ones as such, lest there be confusion on the point. You will no doubt replicate much of old Earth’s folly in your own time; I will not enshrine this folly lest it be mistaken for wisdom."

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Dude, she's obviously talking about Twilight. I hadn't realized you were such a Team Edward or whatever :p

Anyway, she's talking about her compilation of stuff. A function that editors of anthologies do all the time: choose what goes in, and choose what goes out. I don't see any of the other faction leaders expending any sort of effort on anything comparable. You have your usual set of plutocrats and militarists: if it's not a dollar sign or a gun, they don't care about it. Truly a commendable lot.

And since you're quoting things, read the Franco-Iberia civilopedia entry. It discussed how F-I actively funds new artists and authors to further innovate and create new works of art (showing that their priorities aren't just on commerce or trade). Moreover, it directly contradicts your unsubstantiated assertion that only Western European stuff is being preserved: there is an influx of African cultural works. Their philosophy is that the riches of citizens should be shared among all, not just squirreled away in a bank. They have a high standard of living, a progressive attitude, and thriving immigration -- hardly resembles this fantasy caricature you've constructed of rich people sitting around laughing while people starve, or something :p From everything described, they actually seem the likeliest to go Purity and bring people from back home into the new world.

The faction descriptions are pretty clearly based on the current social philosophies and trends in the regions that they're inspired by, and it's clear that the social democracies of Europe are the inspiration for Franco-Iberia... not, like, feudal France :p Like I said, that description better characterizes the U.S. or China.

edit: I'm spending a lot of verbiage on a faction in a game I don't even have, lol.

Darth_Garak and cthugha like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You are welcome back: radiation will curse your flesh and gens, the ash wind will clog your respirators and claw your sanity, the new nature will eat what is left. We will take your gear, your ammunition and leave the rest for the Forbidden Zones.

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That picture reminds me of the Chimney sweeps from Mary Poppins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.