main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the news spreading around today is that Game Informer is reporting that Nintendo will soon be announcing it's next console- something many have expected given the slowing game releases from Nintendo lately and an imminent Wii price drop (a pattern that seemingly tracks previous console generations).

The announcement is expected at E3 in June, with a system launch in 2012.

Predictably, it's expected to be more powerful than (or at least matching the capabilities of) the 360 and PS3, including HD output.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Should be interesting to see what Nintendo comes up with next. The Wii's motion controls have basically gone as far as they can already. Whatever else, the Wii definitely changed things and was a success in terms of sales, now what will Nintendo try next. An announcement and then more details at E3 sounds very exciting. Although there's still the next Zelda game for the Wii (unless it ends up like Twilight Princess and ends up on both systems). I've been hearing rumors of backwards compatibility, and I expect Wii games will still be playable, although it'd be nice if the next console could upconvert them too.

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Anyone curious about the controls? This console should be an evolutionary update instead of a revolutionary one (by previous examples), but has the Kinect surpassed it by so much? Full body control and not a hand held control. Or can it or is it still a handheld world?

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think anything can beat Kinnect without copying it. I doubt that Nintendo has the capability to do that, seeing as they're not as big as Microsoft. I know it'd be a step back in terms of technology, but maybe a 3D console that works on all TVs? The technology for that is old but it seems like a logical step considering the 3DS, and the growth of 3D games in general. Chances are it'll have a hand held control as well, I can't see those going away for a long time.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've soured on the entire concept of motion controls. I haven't used my Wii in over a year and have no interest in Kinect or Move. If this new console doesn't have a standard controller I really have no interest in it.

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Good luck with that. :p Thanks to Kinect and Wii, every new console will now be heavily motion controlled.

If you want traditional gaming there's always PC.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not so sure. While I think it will have a heavy leaning towards motion control I think it will still have a normal controller too, especially as Nintendo have the old games available to download. It might be a separate accessory like the classic pad was, but I think it'll be there.

9. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    If its backwards compatible with Wii games, there has to be motion controls... unless they just allow Wiimotes to link up with the new console, sorta like how the Wii had Gamecube ports. Hm, I'm not sure if Nintendo would go back to a more traditional controller over the wiimote and nunchuk design. I doubt there'll be 3D since I think that requires a special TV. Even the 3DS has special screens or something? Also probably best not to over-saturate the market with too much 3D stuff at once. Some people still remember the Virtual Boy debacle. Not to mention Sony is pushing 3D with their games too now.

I think motion controls seem to have died down somewhat too. Kinect and Move came out, but... not sure there were any must-have games that required those, at best they were just additions to the more traditional controls. And not sure there's any point to trying to match or surpass kinect anyway.

Although the Wii remote and nunchuk were usable for games that didn't have much motion controls. No shoulder buttons, of course, but its not like Nintendo can't design a controller with shoulder buttons if they want to. The question is whether Nintendo will continue their current strategy of somewhat slighting the so-called hardcore crowd (although most of the big games these days seem to be shooters, so not sure if Nintendo would try for those kinds of games) for the casual crowd (and its probably been a big financial success), or whether all those nice HD graphics games on the PS3 and 360 will then have to be ported to the Wii-2 also. At the same time, looks like both the 360 and PS3 are still here to stay for at least another few years.

Speaking of old games, I wonder if Nintendo will try to push their Virtual Console again. Five years ago (wow, that's a long time), I wanted a lot of old SNES classics on my Wii, all in one place. Not every classic SNES game I wanted has come out (and oddly enough some have only come out in Europe and Japan for some reason), but still, I was happy with it. Since then now we have PS1 games on the PSN, some old ones on XBLA, and retro games are sorta in these days, either ports or HD updates, or remakes. Although Nintendo will supposedly have the Virtual Console on the 3DS (eventually) so I expect/hope the Virtual Console becomes more active again for the next console (although then there's the matter of transferring stuff).

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    We used to have 3D stuff long before these new fangled 3D TVs came out, so it's not like you *need* a 3D TV to do 3D games. Sure, these new 3D TVs are high tech and fancy, but 3D technology has been around long before TVs. Would I spend a few hundred on a new TV to play 3D games? No, probably not. Would I get a console that let me play 3D games on a normal TV? Yeah, I'd be very tempted. The 3D might not be as good as with a 3D TV but it'd be good enough and it'd let users experience 3D gaming and help them decide whether they want to get a 3D TV or not.

If they do keep with the Virtual Console then I can imagine that they'd either keep the old controllers or make new ones. The Wiimote wasn't exactly great for retro games so they had the classic pad too. The Kinnect is way more than just an addition to normal controllers, which is why it's so good. Move still has you waving a controller around but apart from the Kinnect bar there is no hardware for Kinnect. It's really incredible.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was reported a few weeks/months ago, leading up to the 3DS launch, that Nintendo was not pursuing 3D for the their next console.

It's really hard to predict what Nintendo will do next. I think the only safe thing to say is that whatever they do, you'll probably see Sony and M$ versions 2-4 years later ;).

If the system is backwards compatible with the Wii, then it will have to have motion controls- as suggested above, since they're wireless, that wouldn't require any additional ports. And if it's backwards compatible with the Wii, then it should still be backwards compatible with the GCN (so long as there are controller ports- which would seem likely since many high-profile Wii games utilize a GCN controller option).

I'm hoping that, at the very least, they revise the Wiimote design so that the whole crosspad is easily accessible (or, even better, replaced with an analog stick), and the Nunchuk is given more accurate sensory abilities. Something like the Dreamcast's memory card screen (like a mini GBA or, dare I hope, 3DS?).

I think it'd be quite easy for them to come up with something else entirely, though. Have 4 tiers of controllers: Newmote (either for more hardcore HD games or for whatever crazy new feature they'll implement), Wiimote/Nunchuk (for casual gaming and Wii backwards compatibility), GCN (for Wii, GCN and traditional hardcore gaming (if the Newmote is something different)) & Classic (for retro).

I don't think we'll see anything like Kinect- even Microsoft doesn't seem to have an idea of what to do with that so far, and the space requirements to use it don't seem like something very practical for a Japanese company to produce (Nintendo just isn't going to make something that is impractical to use in a typically sized apartment in Japan).

However, if Nintendo has some new thing that can overcome those limitations that they can combine with some crazy new vision of what to do with it, I wouldn't put it past them.

Virtual Console is probably here to stay, I would think. However, if they expand to GCN titles, the system will need a major storage capacity upgrade (or an external device capable of increasing said capacity).

EDIT- Here's some rumors from Destructoid:

The new Nintendo console is said to be codenamed "Project Café," possibly in an attempt to screw around with American bloggers who don't have the combination for the é key at the ready. The controller will be a tablet kind of controller in "standard definition" or at least sub-720p. Apparently it's supposed to be akin to an über version of the Dreamcast's VMU -- that little display thing you inserted in your controller.

The controller itself is said to include a 6" single-touch screen, d-pad, "L and R," two triggers, and "others." The functionality of the Wii's sensor bar has now been integrated into the controller, which would mean that you'd just use your controller as a sensor bar for Wiimote gameplay. It would a sport a front facing camera.

Also, because it's Nintendo we're talking about here, the cost of this controller is said to be "modest" and we shouldn't expect iPad levels of power or performance here. They call it an "iPad with buttons" for lack of a better term. 01net's source also elaborated on the hardware specs of the console itself.

The architecture would be similar to the Xbox 360 with a custom IBM PowerPC three core CPU, and "probably" an ATI R700 series GPU with shader model 4.1 support (i.e., higher than the 360's shader model 3.0 support). You can easily spin the shader model stuff into the console being more powerful than an Xbox 360, so if this is true that's something to keep in mind for the future.

This architecture would also allow for easier porting of titles developed for the 360, which has a similar architecture, and that would also make it much more interesting for third party developers to develop for Nintendo's new console as well (or just port old stuff over). Sources close to Blu-r

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rumor Roundup

Game Informer kicks the rumor mill into gear with its initial report, claiming the "Nintendo HD" will be unveiled at E3 in June. The system "is capable of running games at HD resolutions," Game Informer writes, and will see a "late 2012 launch." It reportedly won't bear the Wii name.

Kotaku follows up, writing that "we've heard that [Nintendo's] machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems" like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

IGN adds its own report, saying that Nintendo's Wii successor is "significantly more powerful" than Sony and Microsoft's current consoles. IGN news director Jim Reilly adds "that the console will be backwards compatible with current Wii software" and that an official "pre-announcement" is due sometime in April.

CVG weighs in with its own unconfirmed reports, this time about the system's controller. They say the Wii 2's gamepad will "feature a built-in HD screen." CVG backs up earlier reports about the system's horsepower and Nintendo's launch plans.

French site 01net chimes in, saying the Wii 2 is codenamed "Project Cafe" and that its controller will include a touch sensitive screen measuring 6 inches, features a front-facing camera and can double as a Wii Remote sensor bar.

01net touches on hardware specifications, claiming a multi-core IBM PowerPC CPU, an ATI R700 series GPU?the Xbox 360's GPU was R500 series based?and "at least" 512MB of RAM.

IGN later adds that "Players will actually be able to stream game content to the controller screen from the console. It's unclear at this time what type of content it will be, whether it's full games you can take with you on the go, mini-games or applications." IGN later posts a mock-up of the system's controller.

Today, Edge weighs in, saying it has its own details on Nintendo's Wii success. "Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months," Edge says. The system features motion control, Edge adds, "with capabilities that are 'better than [PlayStation] Move.'"

13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I hate to sound pessimistic, but the first thing that popped into my mind when i read about the controllers functionalities/camera/screen/streaming/motion/etc. I could only think one thing.

"How much is each controller going to cost?"

Because it sounds like the controller is basically a handheld unto itself, and I do not want to buy a system for X amount of dollars(probably in upwards of 300) and then spend an extra 300 on 3 controllers so other people can play too.

Other than that sounds awesome.

I'm also hoping, however,that they took a long hard look at KinecTech and refined it somehow with their Nintendness and make its space requirements less than an empty small house.

14. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    You could always wait for the minigame collection-controller bundle ;).

Not sure anyone could (or would bother) trying to copy Kinect. Aside from whether full-body motion sensing is worth it or not, to see the full-body requires a camera and enough open space to see the full body. Especially in Japanese houses that's not going to be worth trying for.

Hm, I do hope the controller won't be too expensive, but that then that also depends on whether any games require that many controllers. There's no news yet of a new Smash Bros. game, and the Mario party line has been dormant for quite a while. Or Nintendo could just include a large tech demo with the console too, after how well Wii Sports worked out.

I do wonder if Gamecube compatibility will be included though, since Wii is last/current generation so they don't want to lose that market, but Gamecube will be two generations ago by now. Heck, I don't think Gamestop takes used GC discs anymore, not to mention GC discs are a different size than normal. While many Wii games had the option to use a Gamecube controller, that would also require ports and memory cards. Unless the new controller is closer to normal controller design than a Wiimote, or they allow for Classic Controllers (or the new equivalent) to play GC games (um, I don't think you can use the Classic Controller for Gamecube games on the Wii right now, can you? I've still be using my Wavebird for those, so no idea). Or it could be like the earlier PS3s with virtual memory cards on the hard drive too (or maybe they'll keep using SD cards for extra storage, although a hard drive would be appreciated, or at least a decently large SD card included). Though that's all assuming they're still going to include Gamecube compatibility. Although the PS3 can still play PS1 games, but Nintendo's Virtual Console serves the same nostalgia/retro purpose. And just like how the PS2 is still selling (I think?), maybe they'll figure if anyone wants to play Gamecube stuff they can just get a Wii (especially with another price drop coming soon although some retailers have already dropped the price a bit).

Assuming the controller does have a screen, sounds like Nintendo still hasn't given up on console-handheld connectivity. They tried with the Gamecube and GBA and then the Wii and the DS. Heck, I think even some Playstation games tried to use the PSP and PS3 together (maybe? I thought I read that somewhere but not sure). Too bad outside of Pokemon not sure there was ever anything else all that memorable.

It would sure be interesting if Nintendo went with Blu-ray though. Just think of all the graphics they could cram onto a Blu-ray. Hm, wonder if they would include DVD (or Blu-ray) playback on the next console. I know its possible for the Wii to play DVDs, just that its not normally possible. I think Nintendo once had a statement that said they figured everyone would have DVD players by now so no need to use the Wii to watch movies, but still, DVD playback seems like such a basic part of anything with a disc drive. Unless Nintendo could try pushing their next system as a Blu-ray player too, but trying to compete with the PS3 on that feature probably isn't all that wise.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not surprised that they're revisiting handheld connectivity concepts- the only reason it failed with GBA/GCN was that the connection cables weren't included with either GBAs or GCNs.

But the few games to really take advantage of it (other than just using it to unlock extra features like the Zero Suit in Metroid Prime) were pretty damn awesome- Zelda: FSA & Pacman VS being the most notable, though I heard Final Fantasy CC was great with a full set-up.

Cut the strings and there's still potential in the concept that has yet to be exploited (and using a PSP to play a UMD on a TV doesn't count :p [face_laugh]). I'm surprised the Wii and DS really didn't do anything in that regards, given their wifi capabilities.

Reports have claimed the NHD (HDN?) controller won't be expensive- which would be the smart thing for Nintendo, who probably knows they have more money to be made with less expensive controllers bought in multiples alongside optional add-ons.

Sure, they could try to make people try to buy the equivilent of a GBA/DS as a controller, but I think they'd rather sell you 3 wiimotes w/nunchuks and a classic controller (or 3 N64 controllers w/rumble paks and a memory card, to go a couple setps back) instead.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I remember Nintendo has stated in the past that they want their products to be affordable. If they followed what they have done in the past, they have been working on the new console ever since the Wii was released. Let's see what preshow E3 will bring us in a couple of months time.

Also N-Sider's article sums up the speculation thus far from a different point of view.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/26059/

Soooo.... :)

EDIT: and

http://palgn.com.au/18766/nintendos-project-cafe-console-confirmed/

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I already know I'll be buying it. I can't miss a new Mario game.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Alright, I need to max out my recently aquired Wii to the fullest before the year ends. :p

20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    This system is a definite buy for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the software line up for this. With Skyward Sword being pushed to a 4th quarter 2011 release, makes me wonder if there be a version for the new console like what happened with Twilight Princess. I am wondering how Lucasarts will support the system, this is probably more suited to the Wii thread but where are their N64 titles on the Virtual Console or will it be saved for the eShop/Virtual Console of this new system?

There is a rumour that Rockstar is porting GTA V over for the system. I wonder how far along other developers are for the system.

21. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/255628,report-wii-2-ready-to-ship-in-mid-october-with-full-hd-graphics-onboard.aspx?eid=19&edate=20110427&utm_source=20110427

and

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Gallery/255290,nintendo-wii-2-ten-things-we-want-to-see.aspx/1?eid=19&edate=20110427&utm_source=20110427

Worth a quick squizz I guess. :)

EDIT- Removing e-mail address from URL links

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps most interestingly of all, the new console will feature a retro-futuristic design loosely based on the original Super Nintendo

:-B =P~

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I always look forward to E3, but Nintendo's briefing this year should be especially exciting. They mostly stole the show last year with the 3DS reveal, now let's see what they'll do this year. It'll be interesting to see if the industry will shift to a three-console race, as the Wii wasn't competing with the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphics, but sounds like the Wii's successor will be competitive. I'll almost definitely buy it when it comes out, assuming its not super incredibly hard to find one (like it was with the Wii).

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Nintendo's been on fire this past year or so. We got a Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Metroid game as well as a new handheld system, AND we get news about a new HD system. And the system might look like a retro remake of the SNES? This is amazing.

25. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Well that's not hard. Even mediocre PCs are significantly more powerful than consoles by now. :p

It's interesting though. They didn't want to compete with Sony and MS so came out with the Wii, now they don't seem to be too worried about Kinect and its casual audience, so they're going back to the core gamers. They also admitted they were foolish to ignore the 3rd party publishers that have made the Xbox so successful.