main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Some Wii U and 3DS goodness shown on the latest Nintendo Direct including Hyrule Warriors (Temp name).

Also that SSB trailer reminds me of N64 Rainbow Road a bit. Love how Rosalina is in it!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In retrospect, merging Kirby, Rainbow Road and Lumas/Rosalina makes so much sense. I wonder if, being a double character, she's replacing Ice Climbers?

Here are some of the individual trailers:

And there's also the Yoshi-themed Sonic Lost World DLC (with a Zelda DLC hinted at in june)

Additionally, they announced Dr. Luigi for the eShop- has a clever L-shaped spin on pill dropping and multiplayer damage.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This system just seems more and more appealing. It certainly helps that it's had a full year to really grow its content. Comparing all this to what's available with the Xbox One and PS4 - this is miles ahead. It looks fun.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Lot of nice new trailers, still glad I already have a Wii U, haven't gotten around to the other systems yet. Especially looking forward to Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have a feeling DKC is going to surprise a lot of people- while people are obviously positive on another DKC game, I think people's excitement has been muted by the perceived proximity to DKCR and the hopes that Retro was doing something more Metroid Prime-like or original.

Yet, it's still Retro and all the little details they keep leaking out about the game seem to keep making it feel very fresh ("Hey- you got Duck Tales in my Donkey Kong!" "No, you got Donkey Kong in my Duck Tales!").

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    DKC does look amazing. Having survived 100% through the first one, I can't wait to jump back into it with the new one. That recent Remastered DuckTales was released recently was great too so it is all good in my books to have some of that injected in with Cranky. It's the old arcade original Donkey Kong coming out of retirement :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Some titbits of info regarding DKC: TF

-Runs in 1080p
    -David Wise composed the entire soundtrack
    -Funky Kong shall be running the shop
    the link also has the name of the first 5 worlds

Interesting that David Wise did the whole soundtrack. I had thought there was a collaboration between him and Kenji Yamamoto (who has worked on Retro's previous titles: Metroid Prime Trilogy, DKCR) Either way, I am looking forward to hearing it.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Who did the DKC2 soundtrack? That music was fantastic.

I'm very excited about the Tecmo Koei and Nintendo partnership. I wonder if Nintendo will partner with other studios...

[face_praying]Nintendo + Naughty Dog [face_praying]

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I doubt that would ever happen without some kind of Rare acquisition.

But they have been teaming up a lot with other studios- Platinum and Team Ninja, for example.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sounds great, I hope we get some of the variety from the original DKC games that was missing in the Wii DKC Returns game. I still miss the old DKC2 soundtrack, probably one of my favorites.

Too bad Rare is unlikely to ever work with Nintendo again (and Rare has seen better days in general). Also, I don't think a Naughty Dog teamup is likely, as I think ND is owned by Sony? So probably not.

There was this leaked concept for a Retro Mega Man game X game or something like that? Was never quite sure if it was just concept art or wasn't even official. Anyway, it looked cool, although probably a bit too much of a reboot, but still, I wish something had come of that, but then Capcom isn't using Mega Man for much these days (the best Mega Man stuff is coming from people other than Capcom, including Mighty No. 9).

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rare's owned by Microsoft, so I think I'd replace "unlikely" with "never." :p

I'm hoping Retro Studios gets put on Metroid again. Actually, given the release of the Wind Waker remaster, do you guys think we can expect a Metroid Prime HD release in the future?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know people want Retro back on Metroid- but I'd rather they get a chance to do something of that caliber but either original IP or different IP. Though, I wouldn't complain if they did make another Metroid, but...

And yeah, that's what I meant when I mentioned Rare- when Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo. Something similar would have to happen between Sony and Nintendo- and there's no way Sony is going to give up the primary reason to buy their platform (at least not with ND still producing quality hits seemingly at the top of their game, unlike Rare which had had a couple misfires before the sale).

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rare's a really different beast than it was in the N64 days, and I suppose something could be said about MS's ownership altering the company, but I really just think they had their time in the spotlight and folks moved on. The best thing that could happen for them is if MS just let them lock themselves away and come up with something golden.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At the time it was sold you basically had them on the downswing- DK64 & Starfox Adventures underwhelming people while Perfect Dark underperformed because of the late cycle release.

Then MS scooped them up and kinda ran them into the ground.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    ^^ Pretty much that.

The Rare we knew is no long around. There was a really good read over at NotEnoughShaders regarding that.

Just read an interview over at the Game Informer site regarding DKCTF and Yamamoto is also involved with the soundtrack too, not just David Wise. Monster Games also helped out with the title, which is interesting. While I am excited to get DKCTF, it does make me wonder what else Retro is working on or planning for next.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It appears that, following the somewhat disappointing Nov/Black Friday sales, holiday sales for the Wii U have actually exceeded Nintendo's expectations. Though obviously the final hard numbers aren't out yet for Dec, multiple retailers were reporting sell-outs of the system (particularly the Mario/Luigi bundle), with only Sears (which, apparently, still exists and still sells video games- good for them) reporting stock.

Of related interest, it's being reported that the Wii U actually outsold the XB1 in worldwide sales last week- albeit without the XB1 being available in Japan yet (however, neither is the PS4, which outsold both by a significant margin).

So, at the very least, it's nice to see that the system is on the upswing and continuing some of the momentum that started a few months ago.

Over the holiday I visited my sister and brother in law, whom I got AC4 & TWWHD (and helped him discover, to his complete surprise, that he actually has an unopened copy of SS from last year that, with their move into a new house, he didn't remember getting- so now he has two Zelda games to play, ha). With family over, mostly just had time to make Miis of everyone (which was pretty entertaining to all, it seems) and play a round or two of Mario Chase with them.

My brother in law also got Wipe Out 3, which I had never heard of before- but apparently they had the previous 2 and wanted this one as well. It makes sense, though- whenever I watch the TV show, I always think about it's basically a live-action platformer half of the time, so that there is an actual video game version isn't surprising.

The game itself is pretty simple and not terribly challenging, but a little bit of light, goofy fun. For 2 player matches it allows simultaneous runs with one player on the Gamepad and the other on the TV (3 players or more play 1 at a time).

However, there is an interesting looking mode for the game that I, sadly, didn't get a chance to play- one where the Gamepad user gets to control the traps while the other makes the course run. Since I didn't play it, I can't judge on the execution of the concept, but that seems like a very appealing use of the Gamepad.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I still would love to see a Wii U with four gamepads hooked up. Is that even supported?

Also very happy to see the numbers on the rise. It's like the consumers are finally realizing, "You don't have to buy the biggest, baddest, most powerful console to have fun." The Xbone and PS4 certainly look appealing until you realize it's a wait until March for any of the titles folks are hyped over. Even then that's not a guarantee they'll be any good, let alone fun.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Wii U's title selection compared to the others' launch lineup has been it's greatest asset this season. Both the XB1 & PS4 had very poor launch lineups as far as launch lineups go (the Wii U's was bad too- but it at least had upgraded ports and backwards compatibility). The delay of Watch Dogs really hurt all three systems, I think.

As far as the GamePad goes- the Wii U can support up to 2 GamePads. But, as no games currently support that function, there are no GamePads sold separately (and they didn;t want to offer them initially because for every GamePad they could sell separately it would mean one less Wii U system available for the launch and Nintendo wanted to avoid the eternal shortages the Wii had).

But, man, yeah- there are seriously crazy gaming setups that could happen if games started to take advantage of dual GamePads (and not just for multiplayer- imagine a port, of, say, Steel Battalion, with the two pads of screen real estate functioning in place of the original game's $200 controller; or putting one GamePad on the stand to use it's full screen as a display read-out/rearview/radar while the GamePad in your hand can use it's full screen real estate for additional controls).

Some games support 5 player functions w/ 4 Wiimotes/Pro Controllers & a GamePad- I wonder if a second GamePad would add a 6th player or have to replace one of the others?

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That touch screens would go well for Steel Battalion and can be configured for their needs. I wonder if that would allow for more in-depth simulator titles that usually reside on the PC. Maybe later in this year we will see for sure how it would play out and the titles that support the NFC and dual gamepads.

Have any of you played that great DS game that Platinum had made called Infinite Space? I can definitely see an experience like that working on the Wii U.

I could always wish for another Endless Ocean as I know it be gorgeous if it happens.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    What if the TV was a spectator overview of an FPS game while everyone else was in first-person on their gamepads?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would limit things to a 2 player vs match. I would think it would be beneficial to at least involve additional players on that spectator screen via Wiimotes or Pro Controllers. Let it be a spectator screen but with something the other players can influence, either as a general 3rd party (controlling item drops, bot deployment patterns or otherwise manipulating the environment as a means to either support to defeat the FPS players on the GamePads) or as opposing teammates (Wiimote Player 1 would go after either GamePad Player 2 directly or Wiimote Player 2 in a way that would provide an advantage to GamePad Player 1 and vice versa).

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I neglected to mention I was imagining four gamepads :p

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would be awesome, but I would assume the system can't handle that output- it would effectively have to render everything 4 times + the status screen and I would have to assume there would be a noticeable lag in video streaming which would be problematic for a twitch game.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, true. One can hope, though! I guess the Wii U's limitations are pretty apparent when stacked up against the Xbone and PS4, but imagine if it was the same console with more power. That'd be something.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think we're still a generation behind that kind of power, though. Not even the PS4 could power through quintuple renders and streaming- it can barely stream to the Vita as it is.