main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    From cooking with power to….

[​IMG]
    Source

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    That's great for Australia and Europe, but I wonder if the US will get the same release dates.

Also, I wonder if they will make these games playable on the Nintendo 3DS?

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Roughly the same release dates. Since Australia is pretty much a day ahead, just minus a day from what Australia has listed.

However, I am not sure if our lineup is the same as the US… will double check.

EDIT: Looks like the lineup is the same except the US is also getting Super Mario Bros. 3 on the 17th April.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's neat that's basically turning the GamePad into a GBA XL.

If I didn't already own most of those games (or had significant progress in them- I will finish Fusion one day dammit!), I'd be more excited but they gotta start somewhere.

Really, my dilemma now is do I stick with a GBA/DS/GCN-w/GBA-Player setup for my unfinished/unplayed GBA games, or grab the VC version....

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I wish they would release Metroid Zero Mission instead of Metroid Fusion again so soon (Though I guess a lot of people had missed out on getting the Ambassador version of it for 3DS so I guess it makes sense going for Fusion again). Missed out on the GBA version, was very hard to get and the only place had the box but the game cartridge was Fusion and they didn't understand the difference. *Sigh* At least I will be able to try out Golden Sun this time around.

There are benefits to the VC version like the save feature and more readily available from the menu though it depends on the progress you had put into the original one.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm probably in the back quarter if Fusion. Only barely started Zero Mission and GS1- but I mean, I own the carts. Doesn't really make sense to nit use them since I paid for them back when they came out- get my money's worth and such, even if lacking a save feature or HDMI output.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, gotta load up on Nintendo points soon, so many GBA games to pick up, looking forward to playing Superstar saga, I've heard good things about it.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I almost got Superstar Saga when it came out but eventually grabbed Partners in Time on the DS. Of course, it was the subsequent games that got raves.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've borrow Superstar Saga off a friend once. The game was good, quirky humour too. I might get it so I have my own copy.

F-Zero GP Legend and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow has been revealed by the Aussie Classification board as two titles to come to the VC sometime down the track.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    With Retro Studios done with Tropical Freeze, they said they are working on a new Wii U game. What are the odds that it's a new Metroid game? [face_praying]

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't want to jinx things but the odds are good that the next game they will do be different from Tropical Freeze… unless they plan to do a trilogy like Rare did with the original DKC SNES games. Though what if a third DK game would change the style from a side scrolling platformer to a more 3D realm to explore, a better take than the DK64 game. Maybe down the track….

For now, I love to see either something new from them either as an original IP or a return to the Star Fox/Metroid/et al universe. But in the end, I know that I'll be getting it regardless as the quality of their titles are outstanding.

EDIT: Here looks like a good explanation for why we are not getting any GBA titles for the 3DS VC anytime soon.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's actually an interesting read. Interesting timing to to all of this- the lack of a sleep mode functionality during GBA playback on a DS had been forgotten by me until I started playing FFVI the other week. It's strange how much you don't realize you've come to rely on or expect) a feature like that until you no longer have it.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, maybe, if you're referring to the bit at the end where they fess up that the real rationale is just:
    That's it. Technical handwaving is just handwaving. They can hem and haw about emulator "accuracy" but VC emulation is notoriously inaccurate by scene standards, because at the end of the day the files are just ROMs with a super basic emulator package wrapped around them. But, no, let's pretend it's about fiddling with CPU runtimes and sleep mode, despite demonstrable evidence to the contrary from the groups actually pulling these files apart.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't have a Wii U yet, but my 3DS XL would love some of that GBA glory!

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The 10 NES games as part of the ambassador program were in the same state until they did an update at a later date for the rest of the features. So there is still a possibility for the GBA titles to come to 3DS beyond the 10 we got from that ambassador program, just will take a while longer till.

Also this happened and is probably over too at the time of posting this post.

Could be a good proof of concept for how to do a Pokemon title on the Wii U, a spiritual successor to Pokemon Snap and use that panorama video gyro features with the gamepad and such. Also makes me want another Endless Ocean!

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I have "Metroid Fusion" for the GBA. Got it back in 09 and finished it in a few weeks. Not the fastest time, but completed none the less.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, well, I think it's well established I'm terrible at game time management. ;)

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The first batch of GBA VC titles are out. Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Advance Wars. M2, whom did the great SEGA 3D Classics on 3DS, worked on the GBA titles conversion to VC so I know that the quality be good as with some of the additional features like different resolutions and the original instruction manual.

Now to debate with myself whether to get one now or wait for more later.

At least Mario Kart 8 still looks great.

Be sure to uprez the video quality.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    WOW- that is, by far, the most visually stunning Rainbow Road ever!

And it looks like Shy Guy and Laikutu are joining the race.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Agreed. It looks like it is taking place over a town or city… maybe the Mushroom Kingdom during the star bit festival from Galaxy?

I also love that all of the Koopa Kids are back and the character animations too.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I can beat that. It took me ten years to be "Super Mario Bros." I had trouble understanding what I was doing wrong with 8-1 and then 8-2. Plus, getting distracted by others games.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Nintendo Direct tomorrow featuring Super Smash Bros. at 3 PM PT / 6PM ET / 11PM GMT. I wonder if they will announce a release date.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, I have class then so I can't watch it live- and the first post-Winter Soldier episode if Agents if SHIELD that night- so many things to watch tomorrow...

Corellian_Outrider likes this.