main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    This slipped under the radar.

A lot of new features and promotions too.

Now something to counter those blue shells!

Side note, Child of Light is out too.

I've tried it for a little bit and early impressions is that it feels special. I am loving the style and seems quite good so far.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    There’s a deal coming around the bend that will really get your engines revving: if you buy Mario Kart 8 for Wii U and register it with Club Nintendo between May 30, 2014 and July 31, 2014, you can receive a free download code for one of these great Wii U games:
    You can purchase Mario Kart 8 as packaged game, digital download, or as part of the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe Set bundle to qualify for the offer. For more details in the coming weeks, and to learn more about Mario Kart 8, visit http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/.

Offer is available in the U.S. and Canada.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh… that doesn't seem fair. The Europe /Australia deal has more titles to choose from:

[​IMG]

I'm debating between the Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I hope the Blue Shell version is announced in the U.S. soon.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    On the upside, Nintendo invested almost the same amount into R&D this year as well, so hopefully that'll pay off with some cool things in the near future.

Also, though I don't know why it took them so long, but Nintendo has revealed it will be doing an NFC toy game toy line ala Skylanders and Disney Infinity for Wii U and 3DS (via a wireless adapter).

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Good news! The Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition with Blue Shell is coming to North America.
    Bad news! It is being sold at/from the Nintendo World Store in NYC only.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You would think that the Blue Shell edition would be available at more outlets… though that packaging for it does look really good. I was going to suggest importing from Europe but the game disc would not be compatible on the US system.

I wonder how they will be doing the NFC content. Judging by the diagrams, it looks like it will be able to carry data across several titles. What type of data and content… I don't know… one idea is that it can be gameplay records/data. Maybe it would be connected to Smash bros? Given that the feature will be for both the 3DS and Wii U and Smash Bros has been about a world of trophies. I guess at E3 we will find out more.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh man, world of trophies- I didn't think if that connection. If they do that, they totally need a Master Hand glove that connects to them!

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Master Hand/Crazy Hand combo!

I can't remember if I had posted this somewhere but there is a lot of Nintendo merchandise coming out around the last quarter of this year.

One of the images has assorted figures from different series. Pretty much all of them are art renders, except Pit by the looks of it, as they are still in development. I wonder if they will have the NFC feature to them or if it would be a separate line.

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope, you know Crazy Hand will be the rare chase variant or something.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's fully Iwata's fault- I think a lot of the problems they've encountered on their end come from what still lingers from before Iwata. Plus Nintendo overestimated their sales projections several times (though that's partially Iwata's fault, I would assume) and had to eat the loss of a pricedrop in the console market while also having to deal with a direct- but-not-direct competitor eating away at the handheld market at a more-than-predicted rapid pace in the form of iPhones and tablets.

The Wii U's slump for the first half of last year certainly didn't help- Pikmin, W101 & DKCTF were never going to push system sales significantly and TWWHD & SM3DW sold well but didn't move the hardware in the expected numbers (though one can't really blame them for expecting them to).

But I think things would be a lot worse if it wasn't Iwata.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But in the end, it happened on his watch and as a result, he'll get the blame and will probably be fired before long. He's guilty of handling some things badly such as the marketing of the Wii U and not pushing the technology harder in the first place, in order to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One. Which in turn would mean more third party licenses and thus better system sales.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right that it will be blamed on Iwata- though I think any firing would happen after a chance to right the Wii U ship has expired unsuccessfully and if the following generation's system fails to perform well.

EDIT- Iwata does take responsibility though.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You are right on both accounts. :D

I think it is great how Lindsey goes into character. Some of her other videos are impressive with the production quality.

With the game, I am loving it! Cannot get enough of it but I have force myself to only play in short bursts as I need to focus my attention on getting a major project done. I did plan on giving impressions but I am a few chapters into it.

The art direction is charming, the story is nice so far and makes you want to keep playing to continue the journey with the characters you encounter. Soundtrack is great too and fitting. The combat does keep you on your toes, it is turn based but there are some real time elements in terms of timing… if that makes sense. Overall, strongly recommend getting it, or at least play it for a bit.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Goodbye Nintendo WFC :_|

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I know! It is because of GameSpy shutting down things on their end and they were hosting the WFC platform.

Shame I didn't get to try Endless Ocean 2 online mode but I did get to try GoldenEye Wii online multiplayer once. Was there any titles online features that you will miss?

To soften that, we will be getting Mario Kart 8 in a few days time.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mario Kart Wii was the only one I played regularly, console-wise. Although when I did the system transfer a couple months ago, I fired up the Dr Mario Online I had purchased long ago for the first time. Only to have the WFC takedown announcement occur almost the next day, ha.

Crap, you know the different Pikmin colors are going to be a pain in the ass to collect- at least one of them is going to be hard to find. And if they're doing powerup versions of Mario and Luigi- well, yeah, getting them all will be tricky.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I wonder if they will do a work around in the future to allow the WFC games to work on the Nintendo Network.

With the figures, the other obstacle is finding storage for them all when we collect them. Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach… they might even spill those versions to other characters like a… light crystal Zelda…

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's something that could add up quickly. But then, I've always wanted to collect some Nintendo figures but the various series were always so limited with the same characters. So I'm ok with them adding up. ;)

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad that they will be branching out than repeating the same ones again in different poses. I do wonder if there will be points of articulation with these new figures or if they be statues.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Looks like it is time to bring that Wavebird out of retirement! Or will it mean we have the option to get new ones?

[​IMG][​IMG]

It was posted on the NoA Twitter and mentioned in the Smash Bros Invitationals promo video. Looks like it will be for the upcoming Smash Bros. Tourney but does this also mean GCN virtual console releases too?