main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I guess they figured they just made more money than God with the Wii, so they might as well try to make more money than Bill gates next ;).

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The GameCube and Game Boy Advance Connection (The cautionary tale)

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1164525p1.html?RSSwhen2011-04-27_175300&RSSid=1164525&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fall+%28IGN+Complete%29

Everything We Know About Wii 2 (doesn't seem to mention sources)

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/113/1135489p1.html?RSSwhen2011-04-27_184200&RSSid=1135489&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fall+%28IGN+Complete%29

3. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Whew! I haven't been on here in a while!

In regards to the 3D support, I think they're going to do what Sony did with the PS3; which is, the console will be spec'd to run 3D, but won't do it until 3D becomes saturated and the console will support 3D via firmware update. I know officially Nintendo has to be very careful in what it says to the public, but behind the scenes, they know what they're doing.

As far as the media goes, Nintendo can do 1 of 3 things:
    1) The obvious, use blu-ray discs. But this can create conflict and can increase the price of games due to licensing cost of disc production.

2) Purchase or license the HD DVD tech from Toshiba. Nintendo has bajillions of Yen, and if purchased, there won't be any licensing fees passed on to the consumer. It would be in house and they could recoup the money spent via hardware sales and software licensing. If licensed, the cost should be minimal, compared to BD because Toshiba wholly owns the media and isn't part of a consortium like BD is, and most likely not be passed on to the consumer.

3) Go the route of Dreamcast and makes its own media with the help of media maker. I believe it was TDK who helped with the DC game disc development. All Nintendo has to do is develop a laser light outside of Ultra Violet spectrum that BD uses (to avoid infringements) and make media that can be read with that beam, and voila!

Seeing as the Big N used DVD tech but in mini discs for the Game Cube, I wouldn't be surprised if they're able to make their own media to help turn a profit and keep prices within reason. This is also speculative, of course, if they even decide to use disc media at all.

As far as the controllers go, your guess is as good as mine. We all know Nintendo's controllers have set the industry standard time and time again. I really want to see what the Big N does this time.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    In the past, Nintendo has used specifically designed optical discs, not DVDs/MiniDVDs and most likely will continue with their own format.

EDIT Apparently Matsu****a/Panasonic created the discs for the GCN and the Wii and most like be for the new system unless they are moving away from discs this time and do something different.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That first article about connectivity is terrible. It calls Pacman VS a poorly conceived title (when it was probably the best example of the technology- I mean, how many people bought Pacman World 2 for that instead of the 3D platformer?) and doesn't even pin the real failure of the tech: the extra expenses for the cables (ie: not being packed into either piece of hardware) made an already complex setup more expensive. And since people weren't buying the cables, there wasn't the software to support it beyond bonus feature stuff.

As far as media goes- IIRC, GCN did use mini-DVDs (it's why Pnaasonic was able to release that japanese model with DVD player support) and the Wii uses DVDs (the system's lack of DVD playback, AFAIK, is only a software issue, not a hardware one).

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think I've read that custom firmware can allow the Wii to play DVDs, although its still strange that Nintendo didn't put the functionality in with it. Sure everybody has at least one or two DVD players these days, but still.

Ever since the DS you'd think the wireless would allow for better connectivity, but even Pokemon never used it much (mainly because each console generation's Pokemon games are getting farther away from the high point of the Stadium games, unfortunately). Wonder if they'll focus on just the controllers (if the mock-ups with the screen are anywhere close to the truth), or if they'll try and link the 3DS to it.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I suspect the lack of DVD support falls into some kind of anti-piracy scheme. In other words- if the player doesn't recognize normal DVD discs lacking whatever security identifier an official game disc is coded with, it makes it much harder for people to burn pirated game copies that would be playable in the machines.

And, yeah, I'm surprised the DS and Wii didn't have connectivity utilitzed- the wifi capabilities of both should have limited or eliminated the cable shortcoming of GBA/GCN, and the massive success of both machines made them all much more accessible together in quantity than GCN & GBA.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I remember reading about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time game where there are two versions for Wii and DS that can be hooked up and played together. I can't think of any other titles that took the connectivity to that extent.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm guessing it'll be easier to upgrade than a PS3 or 360 though, and probably cheaper too. It would also save on production if you offer just one console instead of two.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, there's still a current 360 with only 4GB memory included, and at least SD cards will help out a little, although it is sad to hear that there won't be more memory included. Guess that depends on whether Nintendo improves their online presence in the next gen. It'll probably still turn out quite usable, although more storage would be appreciated.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, SD cards can handle N64 and earlier retro titles/wiiware pretty easily, as they currently do. And GCN titles will presumably still be backwards compatible to be played on the HD system, so that's not much of an issue either.

You won't get many games with massive installs, granted, but 8GB is more than enough space to work with. And, if it comes down to it, maybe Nintendo will come out with an external drive you could use down the road.

I know they've been resistant to that idea this generation, but if space starts to become an issue for their userbase/developers, I can see them changing their minds as they did with teh SD card revamp on the Wii.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It is possible that they are looking into other avenues that allows more storage and cuts down on loading times than a harddrive. Larger Flash memory down the track? We'll have to see next month when it be unveilled at the press conference.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You don't think they should be putting GCN titles on the Virtual Console? Original GCN disks aren't exactly common any more.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If they are still doing a classic titles compilation for the 3DS with SNES and other titles on it, why can't they do something similar for the GCN library? I think GBA are more likely for the 3DS eShop service than GCN games on the VC/eShop for the new system considering that the GCN discs capacity are 1.4 GB.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    1.4GB is nothing these days. There are game demos on PSN that are bigger than that. I guess I just don't see the point in not at least having some more built in storage (which is dirt cheap these days).

Though you can get 32GB SD cards these days so if you want it you can have it (assuming that this is compatible with high capacity SD.)

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Any rumours about a new Super Smash Bro's game yet?

That's the only reason I'll be buying this console, otherwise. Only reason I brought a Wii.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not as common in stores, perhaps, but still easily obtained (and, let's face it, Nintendo never shys away from rerelease opportunities- do we seriously think there won't be a "Metroid Prime Trilogy HD" release at some point?

And, quite simply, if the HDN is backwards compatible with the Wii (a system that essentially used the same media in larger form as well as using the same controller amongst it options, both of which would presumably have to carry over for Wii backwards compatibility), then it'll be backwards compatible with the GCN- so why jack the price up on the system for more storage to download GCN titles when they could actually be played on the existing hardware without any increase in cost?

I'm not saying there couldn't be an application for GCN downloadables with more storage, I just don't see Nintendo making their system cost more than it has to when there are other viable current alternatives for GCN playback.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    This. Yeah 8GB is fine if you want to download a GCN title or two. Or something even older. But what about new games? What about the future? Microsoft offers full current gen games available for download over XBL. Not to mention DLC, patches, and other fun downloads. Storage requirements are going to only keep getting bigger and Nintendo, even with this 8GB of flash storage is a generation behind already.

If Nintendo is serious about creating an online presence to compete with Microsoft and Sony they need to provide storage space for users to keep what they've downloaded. Currently on the Wii they don't even have an easy solution to patch a game halting bug in Metroid: Other M. Their solution is: copy your save file to an SD card. Snail mail it to Nintendo where they will manually edit your save file to just past the problem and then snail mail it back to you. This is unacceptable in today's information age and if Nintendo insists on continuing to live in the past I won't be buying this new console.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd be surprised if they didn't have a means for patches and DLC for the new system- I don't think there's any question there.

I'm not saying more space wouldn't be better- just saying it's probably not necessary (unless they start offering current gen downloadable games in their entirety- but then I guess I'm weird not wanting to download such games versus purchasing a hard copy not bound to the longevity of an internal/external storage medium).

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    When a single game can have over a gig of DLC that 8GB will be eaten up fast. Even without counting movies, music, and full installs of current gen games I have over twice that filled on my 360. Big hard drives are extremely cheap nowadays and I'd gladly pay that extra money for a nice fat hard drive on my console. I've had to shuffle, delete, and re-download games and saves on my Wii way to many times to put up with it again.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It definitely can get eaten up quickly- but that will vary user to user. If someone only ends up owning/keeping a half dozen games at any given time, even with 1GB DLC per title, that's plenty of room (especially if VC content goes to an SD card).

I think there's a lot of people that would rather get the system cheaper "now" than have a single pricier model with larger storage capacity that they might not be able to afford until "later".

I think, ideally, since 8GB can handle most normal usage of the console, that an add-on storage device would be the ideal solution- for those that want/need additional capacity and are willing to pay for it, they can get it, but for those who just want normal VC and disc-based gameplay, they don't have to pay for it.

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I wouldn't be opposed to different price points for different hard drive sizes. It's worked for Microsoft and Sony right? As much as I love Nintendo for it's innovation and originality, I still think they can learn a lot from their competition. (And vice versa)

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be interesting if Nintendo offered two different models simultaneously (as opposed to replacing one with an upgraded version)- they've never done that before (the different NES and SNES sets were the same control deck, just different accessories/pack-in games, etc).

I've always thought they were concerned developers would focus on titles that required upgraded stats, which would isolate gamers with the lesser model.

(I've suspected the Expansion Pak requirement for Perfect Dark, for example, was a contributing factor (amongst others) as to why it didn't do as well as GoldenEye)

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    If Nintendo sold a hard drive accessory, that could be nice, as long as its not too ridiculously overpriced (like the 360's hard drive was). Although with SD cards being relatively cheaper these days, it depends on the user whether they'd really need 20+ GB of memory at all times. Expansions can go over 1GB, but guess that depends on whether games like ME will be developed for Nintendo's next console, not to mention whether games will need to be installed, etc.

It'd be fun if Nintendo had a port for a standard hard drive, like how the PS3's hard drive can be swapped out relatively easily. Although USB flash drives are also catching on a bit these days, but the large capacity ones aren't that cheap either yet. Hm, unless Nintendo really jumps on the streaming bandwagon, hm.