VIDEO Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest, Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'm just happy I'll be able to use it for Smash- if itvworks for Wii Mode then I can fully retire my Wii and keep GCN/U.

On another note that will be rendered delayed thanks to MK8 hitting tomorrow, I finally gave Nano Assault Neo a spin and it's a pretty great take on the arcade shmup, with smooth sticks-only controls (360 targeting) and offscreen play.

I'm disappointed I waited so long to give it a go.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, May 29, 2014
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Part of me was thinking that we would have to get used to using a new control scheme for Smash and I would probably stick with the Gamepad but this is good news. I miss my Wavybird. Now if we could get the Rogue Squadron and the Prince of Persia Sands of Time anthology on the eShop, all be set :p

I've tried the demo for Nano Assault Neo and thought it was quite good. I am planning on getting it. Child of Light and CastleStorm is worth checking out too.

Oh and also, Pullblox/Pushmo World is coming to the Wii U eShop 19th June. For those that haven't played the others in the series before… strongly recommend it. It is quite addictive.

Have you decided which game you will be getting with in that promotion for Mario Kart? I still cannot decide between Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101
    Last edited by Corellian_Outrider, May 29, 2014
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    W101's demo didn't wow me- it was an interesting idea and I wouldn't mind playing it more, but it's really, really far down there right now. I'm definitely going with Pikmin 3- besides the RTS elements, stuff like the Bingo Battle sounds like a really fun multiplayer mode.
  4. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    They did just release an update for Pikmin 3 with a new stylus control scheme. Hmmm…. might go with that.

Side note and I am not sure if this is for all regions but there is a sale for the Batman games on the eShop. 75% to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Batman. That is until the 5th. Might pick up Arkham Origins tomorrow while I'm at it.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    75% off? That's tempting for Origins. Anyone who hasn't played City should check that out- a great deal of content for the value.
  6. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I totally agree about Arkham City Armoured Edition, that game was so good. I've been meaning to get Arkham Origins but and looks like now is a good time as any to get it.

I wish that the sequel, Arkham Knight will be coming to the Wii U…. maybe the WB Montreal Studios might do an adaption of it for Wii U.
  7. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Huh, the Gamecube controller is still going and going and going. Never used it much, mainly because my skills are so mediocre it doesn't matter what controller I use, I still never do that well. Wish I still had my Wavebird (lost it at some point over the years). An adapter is a surprise, but maybe some people still have their old wired controllers lying around? Hopefully it works with Wavebirds. Although it would be nice if they released a new Wavebird that just plugged into the Gamepad or something like that.

Here's hoping Smash stays on schedule for winter this year, but I'm not that hopeful unfortunately.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It is interesting that the GCN controller will now have endured unchanged for three generations of consoles. Even the DualShock was tweaked along the lines.

I think a lot of people still have their wired controllers given that they were compatible with Wii consoles and even sold Wii-branded versions much like it looks like they'll be selling Smash-branded controllers.

I don't see why the Wavebird wouldn't be compatible- it uses the same plug as the wired controller. Though I don't think they'll be offering new ones- I read a rumor somewhere that the production molds were lost or something?

Either way, I can see them not wanting to offer a Wavebird to compete against the Pro Controller as a modern wireless controller (not to mention it has rumble- one reason why i could never switch over to Wavebird). And since the GCN controller adapter is clearly only being brought in to support the Smash community (who would only want wired controllers for competitions), it's even less incentive to go back to Wavebird.

Yeah, I'm mildly interested in the series as a story and plan to go back to plan Asylum on the 360 eventually. But I'd rather prefer to avoid having it stretched across THREE platforms if I can avoid it with Knight...
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, May 30, 2014
  9. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    When they said they had set out to design the perfect controller*, they aren't wrong. Sure, upgrade the d-pad to be a bit larger but overall I loved it. Wavebird made it even more epic as the first true wireless controller. If only it supported rumble but I've learnt to adapt without it for the Rogue Squadron/Star Fox games. Such a shame if that rumour is true about the lost production molds. Probably wouldn't be in their interest to recreate them.

Agreed about the Arkham titles. I guess time will tell. That's kinda like the Assassin's Creed games. I started with 3 and 4 on Wii U and I've started going to the others, 2 on Mac, 1 and Liberation on PS3… with news that there are two more but for different platforms and no idea if they are skipping Wii U for both.. Know what? Just give me a proper Prince of Persia game/s on Wii U. I miss that character.

With the Free Game promotion. A friend convinced me to get the Wonderful 101. He's got both and spelled out the pros and cons and while I want both, since it is a new IP and is free... less risk and I am going to get Pikmin 3 anyway. I haven't properly played it yet but will definitely give impressions when I spend more time with it.

* Cannot remember if that link had been posted before but worth posting again.

EDIT: Listening to a discussion about NFC and the possibilities but it reminds me of that concept video of Ubisoft's back when Wii was launching. Where they had physical items affecting the game.. found the video. 1:20 mark…

I wonder what happened with that and what Nintendo will show off at E3.
    Last edited by Corellian_Outrider, Jun 2, 2014
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, with the talk of a Skylanders-like NFC collectibles thing from Nintendo, I can see that being an E3 announcement.

I can say that Pikmin 3's background environments look absolutely stunning. I've only played a few moments but I played through the first two character's tutorial levels and I look forwrad to playing it more- though the lack of a pause/save/quit feature seems odd but maybe I need to dig into it more.
  11. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I know that Nintendo will do their own spin on things, like how Disney Infinity does it different too. I cannot wait for E3, about a week to go now.

Pikmin 3 does look gorgeous. Which controller setup are you using?
  12. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Just a heads up that the 5.0.0 U firmware update for the Wii U is available. It does a few significant things like a redesign of the user menu, inclusion of the Quick Start feature and a Gamepad alert for notifications from Nintendo.
    Last edited by Corellian_Outrider, Jun 2, 2014
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    These incremental improvements to the U's OS have really streamlined things. All they're really missing now is being able to create folders like on the 3DS so I can organize my digital titles better.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Some updates on projected sales figure increases for the hardware thanks to MK8- 20k in France, 12k in UK so far.

For comparison, in the prior week, the total for Europe was 9,420 (according to vgcharts) with a global total of 34,585.

Extrapolating a very loose average percentage that Europe takes up of global sales and the global total for the partial launch week could be in the ballpark of 100-120k systems, which bumps it up past recent PS4 weekly rates.

The question that remains us how sustainable that boost will be (Wind Waker's boost lasted about a month).
  15. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    We really do need folders like the 3DS.

I hope that sales momentum does continue for more than a month. Depends on how far away Hyrule Warriors is before release…. wonder if that might help carry it on until Smash Bros. comes out.

Maybe E3 next week they will go in-depth about it about what to expect till the end of the year like that chart they did last year.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think they will- we're at the point where they have to know the late summer and early fall release dates at the very least.

I grabbed Nano Assault Neo's full version last night (had a $5 eShop credit from the Deluxe DDP I forget I could use). What a really fun arcade shmup. At first it seems easy then things start getting pretty difficult pretty quickly.

I also do need to get Child of Light and Little Inferno at some point, but between MK8, P3 & NAN, I think I'm good for awhile. Still need to crack open my copy of Deus Ex as well.
  17. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Child of Light is a definite recommend getting. I've added Nano Assault Neo to my watch list and been meaning to get Deus Ex. Maybe soon since I've got a hard drive connected to my system.

I did get Arkham Origins and had a small go. Controls are the same, visually looks great though I wish some of the gamepad functions and layout were carried over from Arkham City. If playing on the full screen, the gamepad turns into just a map or the WayneTech logo. You have to use the D-Pad to select your weapons or on TV menu to manage upgrades and such.
    Last edited by Corellian_Outrider, Jun 5, 2014
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    That seems like a waste
  19. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    It does feel like a wasted opportunity and a step back in the wrong direction. I remember reading that it was a different studio that did the Wii U version while the one that brought Arkham City to Wii U took the lead on developing the other console versions. That probably explains it but then why couldn't WB Montreal Studios give them a heads up on the gamepad functions?

Speaking of studios. They will tease what Retro is working on at E3 and we all will have to wait a year or so before we finally get to see what it is.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Shovel Knight has finally gotten a new eShop release date: June 26th for both Wii U & 3DS in US, CA & Mexico, though the European release has been delayed.
  21. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Shame about the delay for Europe/Oceania but it is probably to do with the ratings approval or something. That's my best guess...
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    As a final note to the talk of the MK8 hardware sales boost from the other day, the vgzhartz update pegs it at 187,028 globally, putting Wii U in 2nd place for the week, still behind PS4 (201,630) but ahead of 4th place XB1 (52,180)- though the comparison to the XB1 isn't 1-to-1 since it didn't have a major hardware-selling title released. A fairer comparison is the week of Titanfall's release, where XB1 managed to hit 153,665 (dropping to 98,087; 66,939 & 63,334 for it's 2nd-4th weeks of release).

Either way, that's good news so far. Don't want to turn this into am ongoing hardware sales chart discussion (especially given that vgchartz's numbers' accuracy are debatable, though it's all we have to go on at the moment), but it'll be interesting to see a snapshot of those first month sales totals in comparison to one another in a few weeks, so we can bring it up again then.
  23. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Another hour to go… and it is 1am over here.

http://e3.nintendo.com/#2014/

I'll go through the usual list of what I hope to hear…. any news on: Star Fox, Endless Ocean, Metroid, Yarn Yoshi, Wave Race, F-Zero… any or all of the above while seeing new IP.
  24. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
  25. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Wow… about time the Star Fox team showed up again on a home console!
    Yep, I am happy now. Just need to see it in action and news about the others.