main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    New 2 new DLC packs announced for Mario Kart...

[​IMG]

Wow… was not expecting that type of cross over into the Mushroom Kingdom. Was thinking more along the lines of the Donkey Kong series or something. This is great though.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I am somewhat considering a Wii U. But I'm still on the fence. My friend purchased one not too long ago, and despite initial excitement, he no longer seems all that enthusiastic about it and is considering a XB1.

As for myself, I'm interested in the new Zelda title, but cautious. Skyward Sword turned out to be a huge disappointment for me and my Wii has been sitting untouched and collecting dust ever since I abandoned that game in the Temple of Time.

3. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm not eager to boot up my Wii U again anytime soon. The first three games I got all turned out to be mediocre (in my humble opinion). Hyrule Warriors looks really snazzy and I love every minute of the fanservice, but I imagine I'll tire of the hack 'n slash gameplay after a few hours.

On the bright side, Smash is coming in a few months, so I imagine it'll reinvigorate my love for the system. Frankly, I don't think I'd be playing video games at all anymore if not for Smash, as Mario and Sonic's latest outings have utterly failed to impress me, and I wring most enjoyment out of new Zelda games within the first few days.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Which games did you get? Don't forget some of the gems in the eShop too.

5. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I got New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD. The first one I'm probably being too hard on but it still bored me to death, I guess I'm just sick of 2D Mario platformers. 3D World drove me absolutely insane. And WW was too short and repetitive, with some of the ugliest dungeons I've ever seen in a Zelda game.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If NSMB U is boring you to death, I recommend Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for platformers. With honourable mentions to DuckTales Remastered and the Mighty Switch Force series.

How did 3D World drive you insane? Was it the multiplayer aspect? I find it depends on who you are playing with as some cases it can be frustrating and other it can be rewarding. I have not finished TWW HD yet but it has pretty much the same dungeon layout as the GCN version. Minish Cap / Link to the Past, etc is available from the eShop and some of the other titles too.

There are a few others worth checking out:
    For an RPG/Platformer hybrid, Child of Light is quite good, nice story and music and recommend playing on the harder difficulty. For an in-depth online multiplayer RPG… there is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Edition but the learning curve is steep.

CastleStorm is more of a strategy game and is strangely addictive. Pikmin 3 is another solid strategy title which I have yet to get my hands on.

Pullblox is a good puzzle game for something to play in bursts.

LEGO City Undercover is one of the best LEGO games made. Original story with tons of nods to pop culture and is a lot of fun.

Oh and there is Mario Kart 8.

Those are just a handful of titles that comes to mind. There are others like Zombi U which is very atmospheric and worth checking out too.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Seems like the Wii U is suffering from the same problem as the X1: glaring absence of quality original titles.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I tried not to mention the multi platform titles though if looking for an alternative to TWW HD, there is Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

There is plenty of quality titles on the system. If you mean that there is a lot of franchise games like Mario, the misconception is that they are all the same like quite a few of those annually released shooters. What Nintendo usually does is create the gameplay and user experience first and sculpt the game around that and which of their own properties fit that, they use. When it doesn't that is when something new comes along like Splatoon, Pullblox, Code Name STEAM, Dillion's Rollin' Western, etc

9. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I've been wanting to expand my horizons and try out other Nintendo series like Pikmin, I'll have to look into that one, and Lego City as well. And thanks for the reminder, I really need to hunker down and download ALttP someday.

3D World I played by myself. The playstyle was very...constricted? Linear? Whatever it is, it's exactly what I don't want in a 3D platformer. When the bland level designs weren't putting me to sleep, I was cursing at my TV thanks to the sluggish controls and ridiculous difficulty curve near the end. To say nothing of the sheer repetitiveness of the level designs and bosses (seems to be a standard in Mario games these days...) And oh lordy are the characters slow. I couldn't standing playing as anybody but Toad.

I considered Mario Kart 8, but decided against it since even in college I have no one to play with. Plus, my recent experiences with MKWii have really embittered me to the series. (Though I definitely would've taken advantage of the "Buy MK8, get a free game" deal had I known about it earlier...drat!)

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't really played 3DWorld on my own yet. I don't mind the speed of the characters in 3D World, mind you, I've always held down the run button on every single Mario game that had one. There is a bit more variety of bosses than what was in 3DLand for 3DS but a bit more would be nice too. I do wonder if they will do a more Galaxy/Sunshine style 3D platforming Mario down the track. Or even a 3D Donkey Kong Country game in that vein too.

Ahhh… if only you got that MK8 free game offer. I used it for the Wonderful 101… that game is packed full of awesomeness and over the top action even though it has a bit of a learning curve and takes a little bit to get into it. Often compared to Pikmin but it is quite different but still great.

What happened with MKWii? It has been some time since I've touched that game but I remember the AI can be overbearing with their items on the final lap. To compare it to MK8, I prefer MK8. It feels more balanced in terms of items, AI and so forth.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Zelda is my primary interest with Nintendo these days, and since I missed out starting with OoT, there is a lot to be interested in.

I actually got to play MK8 the day before yesterday, and I had a lot of fun even though I wasn't that good, since it was my first time playing MK. Though I got a lot better when playing by myself when everyone was more interested in playing SSM, either Brawl or Melee.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    We have less than a month for Hyrule Warriors and the new Zelda comes out sometime next year.

Patched MK8 today, it added a Shop feature. From there I purchased the bundle for the future DLC and downloaded the Mercedes Benz DLC. So far so good.
    I do like the Silver Arrow. The records option is good to keep track of how many coins you've gotten. Multicoloured Yoshi and Shyguys! There are slots at the bottom for the future characters and to the side for the future circuits. Lastly is the mini-map on screen, you have to hit the '-' button to bring it up as the default is off.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    How does the Nintendo TV feature work?

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not as well as it could- that's one feature that really could have been a secret weapon for the console but it hasn't gotten the attention to features as other parts of the console. The seemingly infinite delay on the promised Tivo integration is particularly disappointing- that could have been amazing. Also, no hockey in the sports scores section is really annoying too. It also tends to crash a lot on me, but then I haven't used it much.

The overall premise is neat- integrating social networking with TV viewing for a live tweet type feature. It just hasn't been the console's focus compared to Miiverse, eShop and game releases.

The TV remote function is handy though- makes it easy to switch between Wii U/TV input which is handy for when rotating through on-screen and off-screen play.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo to shift focus to core gamers.

“[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland. Their attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ It’s kind of a passive attitude they’re taking, and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games].

“In the days of DS and Wii, Nintendo tried its best to expand the gaming population. Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It’s a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people’s daily lives.”

The first 12 ambiibo figures are available for pre-order now as well. $12.99 each: Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If there's going to be a shift, I expect it to start with a new console. I know that seems to be a giant risk, but it's the only way to get third party licenses and they need to get on it before it is too late.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't think that will be the case and not only the way for third party support. Sure, there be support at the launch of the new console but then it will trickle off with quite a few third parties making excuses not to have their games on the system, even if the facts state otherwise about how many units are sold or how powerful the hardware is.

There is an enlightening article about the state of things at the moment which I recommend everyone to take a look at.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    While I somewhat agree with it's core point, that article goes a too far into conspiracy theories IMO (which the article itself lampshades near the end).

"They [the third parties] decide which console gets to be the most successful (PS4), how powerful each console should be (Xbox One weaker than PS4), what features they must have etc"

I highly doubt that it was anyone's decision but Sony's and Microsoft's on what model GPU and RAM they used. MS has a slightly weaker console to offset the cost of the Kinect. The Xbox One would have been more powerful had MS thought the Kinect would be so despised. The article also states that consumers don't care about graphics, which is blatantly false, as that has been one of the advertised selling points of the PS4 - it's cheaper than the Xbox and more powerful.

I don't think third-party publishers have all been working together to keep Nintendo down. For the core audience, the wind was already blowing away from Nintendo, and that suited them just fine. They didn't have to execute some master plan.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not surprising that the lack of some 3rd party support is "politically" motivated- the lack of EA support being the most obvious.And comments from other 3rd party developers held obvious contempt for Nintendo even before the Wii U was close to launching. It doesn't quite go as far as some of those conspiracy theories, but there's definite underlying truths in terms of the power key 3rd parties are wielding- and how Nintendo is the only platform that can survive without them, which would obviously be a concern to them.

I don't lump Ubisoft into that group though- they've given Nintendo some great support, so I can fully believe that their reduction is output on the system is primarily motivated by the U's weak launch and initial sales.

I don't think there needs to be a hardware shift to make the "hardcore" shift happen- there's nothing wrong with the hardware as it is that is preventing ports of more hardcore titles (that would get chalked up to the various 3rd party issues that that article CO linked to above touched upon, among others). It's what Nintendo decides to focus it's development resources and 2nd/3rd party collaborations on in the software arena.

In this case, I think Nintendo has a strong foundation to work off of for the next year: Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Watch Dogs, Smash, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Devil's Third, Zelda & Starfox are all titles that appeal to either the hardcore or competitive gamer. If they can work their magic to fill in a couple more titles geared towards those demographics while also renewing advertising focus on that demographic (like, for example, highlighting the Pro Controller's charge outlasting the ***damn sun), then that would certainly help reflect that stated goal in shifting their focus.

Add to that the 3DS redesign and it's library and, hopefully, the supposed renewed focus on finally taking full advantage of the GamePad's potential for gameplay evolution and I think we're already seeing signs of this.

However, at this point they need to start momentum towards that if that is indeed their goal. Building up more goodwill with the Wii U will ultimately allow them to carry something over to the next hardware generation that can be built off of.

EDIT-
    Actually, i believe it said that "some" consumers don't care about graphics- which is absolutely true. Besides the PS2, Wii & DS being the top selling systems of their generation (despite being less powerful graphically than their competition), I think we're also starting to finally see a blowback against the intense focus on graphics that has permeated the gaming community over the past 10 years and a renewed interest in the actual gameplay and design of a title (which is why the indie scene has exploded so much in just the last 3-4 years alone).

Graphics are, and always will be, of interest to the medium- particularly when comparing the same title running on different platforms or illustrating technical evolutions, but to many they aren't the primary concern,

07jonesj likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo has announced a Direct airing thurs at 6pm EST focusing in Bayonetta 2.

"Crrrrrotch!"

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So the Nintendo Direct was basically what you would expect- going into detail on the game's features, as well as how the online 2-player co-op mode feeds into the story mode and vice versa. They also revealed an additional Nintendo character costume (Fox), pricing ($59.99 retail, $59.98 eShop after discounts) and debuted a new 4 minute trailer.

Additionally, Europe is getting a pretty awesome limited edition set (including Bayonetta 1 in it's own case! Dammit!):

[​IMG]

EDIT-

Unrelated, I finally booted up Child of Light and, holy hell, is it amazing. I'm in love with it so far: part Limbo puzzle platformer, part JRPG, part Sega Nights and part poetry with a dash of Rayman in there.

Visually outstanding (I'm unabashedly in love with the UbiArt Framework engine- as if Rayman Legends wasn't proof enough), but with that ominous creeping nightmare vibe that is fantastic. And the RPG elements are streamlined but clever (I tend to dislike it when RPG's throw too much inventory/stats/crafting content at you all at once- it's fine sometimes but often can be overwhelming if you're only playing it sporadically). And the story and dialogue has made me laugh a couple times already.

The only thing I'm a little mixed on is that controlling the firefly character, while an awesome strategic element to the battles in slowing down enemy reaction time, is best controlled with the touch screen- which means during battles you tend to use the GamePad screen exclusively when you really want to enjoy the full beauty on the TV screen.

You can use the right analog stick to control the Firefly which supports TV viewing better but the accuracy is kinda crap by comparison. What's neat is apparently you can have a 2nd player control him with a Wiimote- but at the same time doing so kinda loses out on the manic multitasking reaction that is really part of the fun and appeal.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Wow….

The game does look good. Part of me wished they were able to do something on that scale with Infinite Space back in the day. Fox McCloud costumes sounds fun and I wonder if Platinum Games will be assisting with Star Fox U since they are looking for partners with it and the infogram lists it for release next year.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Looks like that Bayonetta First Print Edition is European only. Australia misses out too. Oh well, at least we are getting this plush Yoshi from Club Nintendo.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With Bayoneta 2's release date being confirmed, that will likely see me bag a Wii U, not least so I have it for Xenoblade Chronicles X then I can move onto acquiring PS4 next year.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Amiibo's are available for pre-order on Amazon. Any of you guys buying these?