main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That be great, Splatoon should be a lot of fun.

Also finding second wave of Amiibos almost impossible to get a hold of… actually, almost all of wave one too. I see a ton of Mario, Pikachu, the occasional Peach, Donkey Kong and Kirby but hardly any of the others. I should have preordered Zelda, oh well, I got Samus, Link and Yoshi.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still seeing a ton of most of them- lots of Peach too. Just not the three supposedly discontinued ones (but then I only ever even saw one of those- WFTrainer; shoulda bought her then).

Only TRU was supposed to get Wave 2 yesterday but my local TRU didn't get their shipment (odd, given that they're a flagship store- Nintendo even held a special N64 preview event there once upon a time).

Will just have to check Target tomorrow when they supposedly get theirs or BB (and, now, apparently this TRU) on the 19th.

Either way I can't afford to buy them all at the moment- just gonna get Cap. Zelda, Mac and Diddy. Pit will have to wait.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Never seen a Marth yet… I should have gotten Fox when I got Link *semi kicking myself here* and placed a preorder for some of Wave 2 before it came out on the 12th. I'll see if I can hunt down Zelda at a different location tomorrow, if not then oh well I guess... there bound to be another production run for some of them.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If Peach's shelf warmer status is any indication I think the princesses will be easy to find unless they scale their run back in future waves.

I've seen Fox pretty regularly so I don't think you have to worry about him.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That gives me hope then. I think I know a few places that has a chance of having it… fingers crossed.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I have a fully armed and operational Wii U!

And the transfer animation - utterly pointless though cynics will decry - beats the hell out of a progress bar with a smattering of humour and cuteness.

Got a crapload of Virtual Console titles transferred over to the Wii and it all moves a lot faster.

The Wii U gamepad is surprisingly easy to pick up too.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that Pikmin transfer sequence was most pleasant

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The 99% bit on the Wii section was a neat touch, as they're about to leave the last Pikmin.... Oh, all right, get on!

9. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    The wife and I both have to work on Christmas this year, so we decided to start our celebration today instead. That said, she got me a WiiU Deluxe edition with Super Mario World, Nintendoland, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8.

I guess this means that I'm now one of you WiiUers :p

We played some Donkey Kong and Mario Kart. Lots of fun. The tablet is pretty neat. The graphics aren't up to the expectations set by the X1, but oh well. Not so big a deal.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You won't care about the limitations once open world Zelda is out!

Also, if you see it going cheap, grab the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    In regards to Wii and Wii U compatibility: I didn't bother to transfer any of my data over, as I rarely used my Wii (it became a huge dust collector after Skyward Sword's epic disappointment). But, on the off chance that at some point in the future I may want to continue Skyward Sword (quit playing at the Temple of Time--just couldn't stand the floating laser-shooting baddies and the sloppy motion controls), is the data transfer procedure simple?

Also, I saw that the Wii U is compatible with Wii remotes (and that the Wii U is able to sync up with 6 controllers). I decided to dust off my old Wii remotes and Mario Kart Wii steering wheels to play Mario Kart 8 (figuring that the steering wheels would make the game more enjoyable for my daughter). My old Wii remotes had the rechargeable batteries and the charging station. The charging station indicates that both Wii remotes are fully charged, and I've synced them to the Wii U just fine. However, as soon as I press A to join a Mario Kart 8 game with one Wii remote or the other, they both suddenly and inexplicably die. So I loaded up some AA batteries in them and proceeded.

My question, however, is this: have the rechargeable batteries gone bad due to disuse? Or do they simply need a full day of charging (despite the charge station lights indicating that they're both fully charged)?

Also, is the Wii U's sensor bar only used for Wii remotes? Is it superior to the original Wii's sensor bar? Admittedly, this one does stay atop my TV a lot easier.

Having completely ignored Nintendo ever since Skyward Sword, I haven't been following too much news relevant to the company and its new console. But since getting a Wii U for Christmas, I decided to read up on it. So apparently EA and Ubisoft will only be offering limited support of the console? My readings suggest that other developers are following suit or have shunned the console all together. Does that mean that the Wii U also suffers from the Nintendo Curse--relying solely on first-party Nintendo games with not much else happening between those titles?

I also read that the Wii U sold incredibly poorly this holiday season, losing ground even to the Xbox 360.

I do hope that things turn around for the Wii U if this is the case. I've only had it for two days now and it's already struck me as something truly unique and enjoyable (though it just doesn't have what it takes to replace my Xbox One as my living room's dominant media device). And the glossy black Wii U console with the black Game Pad is just a beautiful piece of eye candy. So much more visually appealing than my bulky and half-glossy/half-bland Xbox One.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The data transfer is pretty straight forward- you just need a large enough SD card and download the transfer app to the Wii. It'll run things from there, then when it's done you switch over to the companion app on the Wii U's Wii mode with the card and it unpacks your stuff.

It's handy for transferring most Virtual Console purchases over- it allows you to upgrade them to their Wii U versions (where available) for only a buck instead of paying for the game all over again.

I assume your batteries are bad but giving them a longer charge couldn't hurt to try. Rechargeable are still compatible though- I'm still using my Rabbids dual charger's batteries.

Sensor bar is only for remotes and I think the GamePad might have IR pointer functionality in some game modes. They are otherwise identical (you technically can replace a sensor bar with two candles, for instance- the tech is in the Wiimote).

Wii U's third party support is evaporating- EA because of their rejected attempt to force Nintendo to use Origin and Ubisoft because of sales, though EA and others are kind if a chicken and the egg situation: 3rd party devs always complain there's no room in the market for their titles because of the must-have nature of Nintendo's first party offerings, so Nintendo gave them a wide window during launch to 3rd parties but they blew it- canceling or delaying key titles and, as a result, no incentive to expand the install base resulting in lower sales.

But Nintendo is now picking up the slack and gaining momentum which may lure some 3rd party support back eventually. It'll really depend on 2015- Nintendo basically dominated 2014 in the wake of disappointing tent pole titles on the rival systems and has a pretty open field until Arkham Knight hits in the summer but the competition will be much more fierce despite the solid release lineup and existing strong library for the U.

As for hardware sales- the U has steadily improved throughout the year. It's still not where it would be ideal, though. Most of the "poor sales" talk stems from comparisons to the Wii (which is unreasonable), the PS4 (which is selling at an anomalous rate- even Sony doesn't know why it's selling so well given the limited library) or not factoring in the fact that the recent launch in China is really helping save the XBO's overall sales- take China out of the equation and XBO is still trailing Wii U in worldwide install base (which basically means Nintendo should get off it's ass and launch in China too).t

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Our Wii U, with the pro controller and 4 games cost about $300. Given that relative affordability and the excellent first party games, I'd imagine that sales should reach Nintendo's goals. But then, the Wii U, as previously mentioned, doesn't have what it takes to evolve into more than a living room's secondary console. So maybe it won't reach target sales until Xbox and PS4 saturate the market.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Regarding the Wii remote problem: I let them charge for a full day and now they work fine.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome.

Also: Further Kirby details and trailer, including Amiibo details: Kirby will let you star dash at any time, Dedede will give you his hat and increased health while Meta Knight will give you his mask and increase your attacks.

Japan pricing indicates it will be the same "budget" price as Capt. Toad.

EDIT- Duck Hunt is out now. Haven't figured out how to do 2 players yet but I gave all three game modes a spin. Having the onscreen targeting reticle makes the game a bit too easy (things don't get challenging until Round 8 or higher. Got to Round 20 on clay shooting) compared to the zapper/original but I imagine there's also an increase in accuracy as a result.

I'm still super impressed by the clay shooting mode's gameplay, given how they had to simulate 3D arcs and angles from multiple launch positions (and speeds) without the benefit of an actual 3D space (not to mention the sprite swapping assisting with the effect).

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, gaming-related over the holiday, I basically combined all the digital offers available for my sister's/brother-in-law's deluxe U: 15% off eShop cards from best Buy on Black Friday + the Digital Deluxe Promotion (which ends tomorrow!) + Club Nintendo + Wii Virtual Console upgrades (which will convert CN rewards into DDP-qualifying "purchases") plus the DDP credit from the MK8 DLC purchase, which is the only digital content they've purchased so far, unless you count the MK8 free game they got which was Pikmin 3) to get a good selection of new and retro digital content as a gift this year (though I had to do this all in person, obviously, since the eShop lacks the ability to gift people games, a feature I really liked about the Wii Shop Channel).

So, for $59.50, I got them: Duck Tales Remastered (she's a huge Disney fan), Shovel Knight (she found attacking people with a shovel to be the greatest thing someone who works in retail during the holidays could ever have for stress relief ;)), Dr. Luigi (as Dr. Mario is one of the few games she can beat me in consistently), NES Remix 1, Kirby Superstar, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario Kart (she has it on her Wii in another room, but now basically has it for free in multiple rooms because of this) & Duck Hunt. AND they still have a $5 credit (and excess CN coins) towards something else of their choosing.

After tax, that probably would have cost them close to $95 otherwise, so it worked out pretty well! :D

Duck Tales & Shovel Knight are, obviously, awesome, as we've discussed before. Talked about Duck Hunt in my previous post.Didn't get a chance to play the Kirby games though. Dr. Luigi was better than I expected- outside of the questionable new character designs for the viruses, the classic mode is what you'd expect, the new L-shaped mode is rather complex and the new tablet-style GamePad-only mode is actually way better than I had feared (having to juggle multiple pills at the same time certain shakes things up as well).

Besides several rounds of MK8 we also got a few Smash rounds in as well (though we maxed out at 5 players, alas- but I brought enough controllers with me just in case! ;)). Never noticed how evil Dr Mario in his black costume looked before. Also it seems that Zharizard can melt his way out of the ice blocks too, which was a nice touch.

Corellian_Outrider and Nobody145 like this.
  17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The wife and I played Mario Kart 8 online last night for the first time. After several rounds, I've concluded that the Japanese are the undisputed champions of that game. I couldn't beat anyone from Japan for the life of me.

I also had a dream that I bought a HD remastered version of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Wii U. Such happiness.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall when MK DS (5) came out and one of my races during my first series of online races was against someone from NOA (as ROB). I was like "Well, I'm screwed.". But, yeah, Japanese opponents did seem to be tougher- but that could be due to timezone differences. If you want to pick up some wins, time it so you're playing when fewer teens & adults are online ;).

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've continued working my way through the Wii U version of Bayonetta. What makes a huge difference in fun are the Ninty costumes, they haven't restricted them to being just cosmetic - as I found with the Samus one, which was the only one I hadn't tried out. Here your machine guns are replaced by Samus' arm cannon! It's those little touches, along with far quicker loading, saving and running in general that really raise this up. Oh and the controls on the Space Harrier level are no longer locked to inverted!

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    LOL! I've similarly discovered that tougher opponents are on Xbox Live late at night and easier opponents are online during the day.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    For those that missed it, there was a Nintendo Direct.

Regarding the Wii U… there was mentions of more Amiibo figures, Mario Party 10. Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X looks great. Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars has a cross platform (with 3DS) deal. Also, Wii games will finally start to be available from the eShop.

I've already got the disc version but am tempted to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 off the eShop and I've heard that your save files do transfer over if you have already transferred your content from the Wii to the Wii U. Might wait for Pandora's Tower… hopefully the original Xenoblade Chronicles will make it on the eShop.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The half off deals for Wii games during their release week is a pretty good deal- I'm tempted to grab Metroid Prime Trilogy since I'll never be able to afford a physical copy... but then, at the same time, I have all three separate games already so I may hold off still (much my reason for not buying MPT in the first place).

I'm kinda naive to think I might find XBC in physical form one day but a digital download will probably be my best option.That said, with XBCX coming this year, there's no way I'd ever have time to play both of them, sigh. Same reason why I'll probably pass on the N3DS port too. Heck, given how huge the game looks, I think I already have to give up on even trying to finish the game and instead just set my new goal of jumping off of every cliff in the game. :D

I find it interesting that they're launching with SMG2 and not the original, though- could an HD remake of that be in the works, I wonder? I'd rather have Sunshine but the masses seem to want SMG.

I hope they one day make a Fire Emblem game for Wii U that looks like that cinematic they used in the Direct for the new 3DS game announcement. Instelligent Systems seems to have used the Amiibos better than anyone outside of Smash so far- though I like the Pixel Toad idea, glad I was waiting to pick up Captain Toad. Mario Party 10 does seem to have a decent amount of Amiibo content, though, depending on how rewarding those stages feel.

Still debating if I'll give up on getting every Amiibo with the Mario wave- I'm not sure I can justify multiple versions of the same character since I'm in it more for the display purposes than the collectibilty unless its pose is notably more awesome, but the Smash Amiibos already had action poses so the Mario wave seems like a downgrade. Will grab Toad, though. And, of course, I'll grab more Marios if he has different powerups but a plain Mario? Might skip that.

Introducing crossplatform play finally is great news- a shame they didn't have it available for Shovel Knight or Shantae. Tipping Stars is a pretty clever concept, rewarding level creators like that. I wonder if they'll use that somehow in Mario Maker? And Splatoon keeps looking more and more fun.

Beyond that, I think its time for me to dig out my N64 and finally beat Majora's Mask. It would feel wrong to beat it on the N3DS when I have the original on my shelf (and the GCN port a shelf above it). Will probably erase my original svae file though, it's been far too long since I last played it (I want to say at least 13 years, probably longer) that I'd just be better off starting from scratch given how much you need to keep track of in the game. I think I only beat one boss anyways so its not so bad. Only real downside is my recent urge to finish Skyward Sword will now be delayed...

On the upside- Young Link/Fierce Deity Link on the way to HYWA, w00t!

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the video. If the first Xenoblade game is made available definitely buy it, it's a truly unique JRPG.

As to the sequel, that short video sent it into the stratosphere for me: Numerous environments, all showcasing excellent design work, plus a Mech section. That world looks truly vast, with incredible creature design. Could well end up a system seller to rival Zelda.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd love to see XBC & FE continue to raise their profile, give Nintendo a trifecta of RPG/adventure sellers.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, this is bad news, apparently Club Nintendo is shutting down, to be replaced by some other loyalty program in the future. And doesn't sound like anything will be transferred over. So time to spend all those Nintendo points I've been saving (and hopefully there will be something good to spend it on). Sad to see it go, think it was from late Gamecube to now, I liked it somewhat and hate the idea of starting from scratch again.