main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Wish my local stores still had Donkey Kong amiibos, they sold out a while ago (not that many stores in my area and they don't keep much in stock).

Note to self, get Bayonetta 2 sometime soon. Don't have time to play it, but might as well register the Club Nintendo code. Gotta remember to spend the rest of my coins on something too. Hm, maybe the retro Mario t-shirt.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Glad you guys can finally get the DKC trilogy off the eShop now, I wonder what the delay was for your region.

Yeah, I saw the rewards that Japan are getting, that Mario Kart 8 OST should be good if it comes our way though would wish for DKC Tropical Freeze OST.

I might pass on the gold edition Mario. Already scalpers are posting up on eBay preorders that are around $200. o_O

Also... the hunt continues for more Amiibo. Didn't surprise me to see that Australia/New Zealand was only allocated 3% of the production stock and that explains the scarcity here as we sold about 98% of it. They are now slowly restocking Wave 1 characters again by importing them from other regions like Japan and Europe. I saw quite a few Kirby and Donkey Kong today in Japanese packaging but still waiting to find Fox McCloud… though maybe in the coming weeks. I have to keep checking.

How is everyone's collection? Are you just having favourite character or specific sets or collecting them all? I was only going to stick to a couple of sets but now I semi caved and now have 10 in my collection thus far with a few ordered from upcoming waves (Toad, Lucina, Robin):

Own:
    • Link
    • Zelda
    • Samus
    • Yoshi
    • Mario
    • Luigi
    • Peach
    • Donkey Kong
    • Bowser
    • Sonic

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Regarding the eShop, digital downloads are locked to your console and not linked to your account? So if I make digital purchases, I'd better hope that my kids don't smash my Wii U because I'll lose those games permanently?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    System accounts/data transfers can be done via Nintendo if your system gets damaged. It's a small hassle/fee but at least your not totally screwed. There's hope that Nintendo is slowly moving towards a unified account-based system but nothing concrete yet.

As far as Amiibos go I've been doing pretty good- I'm only missing the trinity from Wave 1, Pit from Wave 2 and Lucario from Wave 3 (though I'm in the delayed preorder list for Ike and Dedede, Gamestop is supposed to get more in the spring and summer, respectfully).

On top of that I have 2 Shulks, 2 Rosalina/Lumas and 2 Meta Knights so I have pretty solid trade bait to fill in the holes in my collection- just going to wait for Smash Wave 4 before I do anything.

(Oh, and I gave two Mega Mans but I'm not reading him- I want to start my army of Mega Man repaints)

Since I'm more interested in the unique characters for an eventual display than I am in being a total completist, I'm currently planning to skip Mario Party Wave 1 except for Toad and the Gold/Silver Marios (since I can justify them as legit power up versions of Mario).

With the recent price drop in Yoshi though I might be picking up some extras to repaint as I mentioned above- and if I eventually continue that I might grab a couple MP W1 Yoshis for other colors for variety.

The other custom I'm thinking about is filling out a Four Swords set of Toon Links, but that is dependent on his availability down the road. Still I can't see this and not want my own:

[​IMG]

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The2ndQuest: Thanks. I suppose this also means that downloaded Wii eShop content cannot be accessed on your Wii U console without having to re-purchase the content?

Transitioning from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One was pretty seamless, since all I had to do was log in to my Xbox Live account and my media content (sans 360 digitally downloaded games) were automatically accessible on my Xbox One.

I suppose I'll wait for Nintendo to further develop their online infrastructure before I become a consumer of their online marketplace.*

*Or at least until they release Ocarina of Time HD for Wii U :p

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you have Wii content on your Wii, you can do the system transfer (gotta download the apps for both systems and have an SD card with suficient memory space on it) to copy it over to your Wii U (accessed through the Wii mode). There's a cute Pikmin load screen and everything, heh.

Even though it can be a pain to go through the recovery process should your system fail, I must say that Nintendo has been making it extremely tempting to go digital with their titles. The eShop sales and other bonus offers they've had over the last year or so have been pretty good. If I wasn't a collector who demands physical copies, I'd invest in a hard drive for my Wii U right away, keep your games and saves on that so if your system fails you're mostly only waiting for the system account to transfer over.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, as Quest has said, the transfer process is quite straight-forward. What it'll also do is compress any Virtual Console titles down further and run them faster.

Yes, grab it! That goes for you too Ezio!

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm going to try the demo. Honestly, with the wife overworking this past month, my Wii U has started to collect dust (since I only play it with her). But I'll check out the eshop for some demos, because I don't want my Wii U to fall victim to the same fate as our Wii (which is buried under a huge pile of dust somewhere).

Edit: So I'm searching through the eshop and navigation is a bit frustrating but at the same time it's great that i can do this on the Gamepad while the kids watch TV.

Anyway, quick question, do I need to buy an external drive before I make digital purchases? If so, recommendations?

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Gathered some old 360 games and traded them in for Smash Bros U and Your Fitness Evolved 2013. The wife really enjoyed the previous Fitness Evolved titles for the 360, and Smash Bros because I haven't played that game since the Game Cube.

Edit:

Is the Wind Waker HD a worthy purchase? I enjoyed the Game Cube version but have no need to replay the same game scene for scene.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which Wii U do you have - 8GB or 32GB? If the latter you might be fine to download, would suggest you buy Bayonetta 1 & 2 on disc though, they're quite data heavy games.

As to Wind Waker, apparently they tweaked it to make the final section with the triforce shards less irritating.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    LOL the Triforce hunt was very annoying.

Idk what size HD it is. I'll check it out.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If its black you should have the 32 "Deluxe" model. Only the white ones were the Basic 8GB model, IIRC.

The built in storage should be enough for a couple AAA titles but you're probably better off grabbing an external drive if you plan to get a lot of them (the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles X in particular will seemingly require an external drive for the digital version/install-from-physical disc options).

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, found this info online:

You're looking at a whopping 22.7GB!

As to the map size - Xenoblade Chronicles packed a lot into its map, it was not one of these big but empty game worlds! Due to that I racked up 100 hours on it, part main quest, part sub-quests and exploration. A world 5 times bigger could see the sequel out-do Skyrim!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely looking forward to/fearing that game's world/timesuck.

15. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Can't Wii U disks be multilayered like Brawl's was? How is the size an issue with that option available?

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Wii U optical disk is proprietary (Like the Wii's was), and while it's probably entirely possible they could make a multilayered one, no such multilayered Wii U disk exists as of yet. There's also a question as to whether it would actually make sense for them to dual layer a disk instead of releasing a multidisk game if it ever came to that... and it might not.

Edit: So I guess that, really, my point is "no one actually knows because the disk is its own thing."

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Unrelated: Nintendo announced that the second production run of the Marth Amiibo will be hitting in late April.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I have a black Deluxe edition Wii U.

Just got Smash Bros. Figured my daughter would enjoy it since she's a button masher :p

Regarding hard drives, what do you guys use? I bought an internal hard drive for my 360S on Amazon from some place in China. It boasted 250GB for only $70. It still works great and definitely warranted my decision to not spend the extra cash on an official Microsoft hard drive.

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    But only in Japan right?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, America- it's meant to tie into the Marth/Ike amiibo compatibility with Codenane STEAM on 3DS.

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Oh, awesome!

22. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    When getting an external for the Wii U, Nintendo does have a list of recommend drives. Most drives should work though they recommend a powered one. The one I've got is a 1TB Seagate expansion drive which does the job well, however, since the device doesn't draw enough power I had to get a powered USB hub for it since the USB Y-Splitter adaptor is impossible to get in store in my region. If you haven't got a powered one and can get the Y-Splitter to draw power from both USB ports then can go that route.

That's good about the Marth Amiibo… think they will make Amiibo off the Codename S.T.E.A.M. characters?

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not in time for its release. Would probably depend on if the game is a success.

Also, it looks like Japan is getting a second run of Villager, Falcon and Mac Amiibos in May. What's interesting is it seems the delay in making more Amiibos if a particular character isn't easy- not only do they gave to retool for it, but some aspects are assembled by hand.

EDIT- A second Japanese XBCX direct is now scheduled for March. 6th, focusing in the battle system.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What you could do in Xenoblade Chronicles in battle was smart, with better AI it could easily be epic e.g.

Side slash - if done from the side, it inflicts higher damage and lowers defence.

Back slash - done as from behind, you can end up doing 5-figure damage but your comrades have to be distracting the enemy to allow you to pull it off.

Both of those were in the first game and it rendered battles far more strategic. The other aspect was other enemies could become involved, you could attack what you thought were just 2 enemies but end up battling 10!

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999