main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, I've always called my Nintendo home consoles Nintendo anyway.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The only system I've generally referred to as just "Nintendo" was the NES, and that was back when it was the only Nintendo console. The SNES was "Super Nintendo" or "SNES", the N64 was always "N64" (or, initially, "Ultra 64"/"NU64"), never "Nintendo 64", the GCN was always "Gamecube" and Wii was always "Wii".

If you have just one Nintendo system, I can see it, but when you have more than one Nintendo console, just saying "Nintendo" is too general.

4. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    And maybe that's the point.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    But it's not like the NES, SNES, N64, or GCN are still in production and have new games coming out for them. No one's going to go out and buy a new "Nintendo" game and then try and shove the disc in their NES. I think people are a little smarter than that. Not much, but a little. :p

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you have a specific title already selected to play, then you're likely not going to refer to the system by name, but rather the game title, which will dictate what system you'll be using.

In other words, you're going to say "Let's play Mario Kart" or "Let's play Halo" or "Let's play GTA4", not "Let's play 360/Wii/Playstation".

When you do say the latter, and assuming you have multiple systems hooked up, the specificity is required.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm sorry but I always say, "Let's play The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System."

The press conference will be starting shortly: http://www.ign.com/events/e3/2011/live-video

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    G4 also has it on TV.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow...! :eek:

SMASH BROS WIIU/3DS!

Also:

-Lego City
    -Darksiders II @ launch
    -Tekken (first time on a home Nintendo console- you can use the drawing ability to draw on characters)
    -Batman Arkham City!
    -Assassin's Creed
    -Ghost Recon online
    -Dirt
    -Aliens Colonial Marines!
    -Metro Last Light
    -Ninja Gaiden 3!

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Glad to see all the third-party titles....we'll have to see how that controller handles.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So, did they show the system at all or just the controller?

EDIT: Kotaku has a picture up now. It looks like a white version of the new 360.

I'm remaining cautions right now but the new controller does look cool. If Nintendo can't offer the online abilities that Microsoft or Sony have (well, maybe not Sony:p) and can't give me a decent sized hard drive they will stay as my secondary console.

14. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I kinda like the new look of the console. I guess it could go through a few iterations before the final product release. I'll still hope we get that retro SNES look I'd heard about a while ago.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There are rumors flying around that the reason the EA president showed up was that EA and Nintendo are working on a new online service. Not sure how true that is.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I've always just said, "Let's play Nintendo," even if I'm referring to a SNES, GC, or N64. The only time I've specified was for the Wii, cuz it's easier to say than Nintendo. :p

17. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Oh wow. A Wii with an Ipad bolted on it. GENIUS.

I've gotten to the point where I really resent what Nintendo are turning into, there doesn't seem much innovation in the new Wii beyond bumping up the resolution and blending in DS-like control - having said that I preemptively hate myself for buying one on launch day next year.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Glad to hear it'll be backwards compatible. That controller looks really cool and innovative but I hope it isn't too much of a hassle to use. Always good to hear about more Smash Bros. games. At least Skyward Sword isn't pulling a Twilight Princess and being pushed back for the new system.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So how much are these controllers going to cost? Assuming the system comes with one how much will it cost me to get 2 or 3 or 4? I do not picture this being cheap.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The price will be an interesting detail... I think the streaming structure will drastically reduce the price of what we might initially think- it's only going to need enough processor power to display video, not render it. It's not going to have too advanced of a battery pack, it doesn't have any media loading/reading requirements.

Plus, if the innovation is mostly all in the controller, and the system itself is just an HD upgrade, the manufacturing costs will be greatly reduced since it's not much different from the Wii.

I can easily see the system launching for $200 with one controller, and costing someone less than $300 (hopefully less than $270) for the system and a second controller.

I'm curious if it'll still be GCN compatible...we haven't seen the side yet so we can't tell if there are GCN ports, or if we'll be expected to use classic controllers or the U controller instead.

SC- it's a swiss army controller that seems to be able to do all of it's functions in an intuitive way that opens up a whole bunch of new possibilities (while simultaneously killing some of the more interesting advantages the PSV ahs with the PS3). What more did you want from it?

21. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Wii U? [face_laugh] What will the next one be called? Wii U Mii?

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yeah, I don't need to read anymore.

I'll be buying a WiiU when Smash Bros is given a release date.

Only reason I bought the Wii. :p

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, not the best name for the new system, but guess its more original than just Wii 2. Glad to see they've gotten a good deal of third party support for it, that was one of the Wii's weak points (what with so many big games just being PS3/360, now maybe it'll be Wii U too?).

The design looks... ok. Not a huge change, although a big change wasn't necessary either, so it looks fine. Odd new controller. The first impressions I've read online are that its kind of odd to hold. Then again its sorta like a combination DS/Ipad/Wiimote so it can't be that light either. Mostly glad they didn't delay/port Skyward Sword to it, unless they announce an HD port next year. Looking forward to Nintendo games in 1080P and through an HDMI cable. Wonder if it'll upscale Wii games (there are at least Wii games that would look even more beautiful in HD, I've heard of emulators upscaling Super Mario Galaxy for instance). Or if there will still be Gamecube compatibility (although that's probably a lesser priority by now).

Always awesome to hear about the next Smash Bros., although its probably still a few years away. Wish they had mentioned a price, but given that the system will probably not be out until 2012 holiday (or around there), they'll probably save a big announcement like that for next year's E3. Not bad show, not quite as good as last year's, but still, looking forward to the Wii U next year, and I'm leaning towards a day one purchase, as I'm a loyal Nintendo fan since the SNES, although it depends on the supply too and the launch game lineup.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Not sure I want to get this for a while/if at all. One, I don't have that kind of money to throw around right now, but also because this new console reminds me of a DS for the TV. From one of the shots, it looks like a DS (with your controller being the tactical screen) and the TV being the obvious game play. It'll take a while getting used to staring at that small screen and at the TV screen during intense action games, because they aren't four inches apart.

25. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Remember when motion control happened? - And you held a Wii Remote in your hands for the first time? That was giddy. It was new, and it offered a level of immersion that had only ever been tried before in weird computer style widgets that didn't work properly. As shiny as this new controller thing is I don't think I'll get the same level of giddiness with it.

Also, I have a horrible feeling that we'll be suffering with another resistive touchscreen. (Yes, it is a genuine complaint. Switching from the lovely finger control on my capacitive generic android phone to resistive stylus control on the 3DS feels like a step back in time.)