main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Really sad news, I think I had heard about his health problems, and occasional absences because of it, but didn't realize it had been so dire. And at only 55 too.

It was always nice to see him in Directs, and I remember the bright Wii years. Sad day for Nintendo, rest in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    So terrible and unexpected. I hate how everyone is thinking about the next president, the NX, etc. Some people just cannot feel, I guess. It seems like Christopher Lee just died too...what a sad time...:_|

Excuse me while I play 8 PM from Animal Crossing: New Leaf and "Anakin's Betrayal."
    R.I.P. Iwata

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    H. H. Dewrito Pope, of all people, had a touching story on his Twitter:

Life and TiniTinyTony like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh my, that is horrible, horrible news. And shocking, being that he was so young and in the E3 event less than a month ago.

From what I've read, his background as a debugger/coder helped several title developments- and, as the anecdote above says, he came across as a gamer, not a CEO masquerading as one.

Life likes this.
  5. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    May his influence live on.

And a song in his memory (from a game he reprogrammed midway through development, saving it in the process)...

Life likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

His history of trolling share holders screaming at Nintendo to make mobile games is credit to this fact alone.

Iwata really was one of the few bright sparks left in the video game industry, and it's so sad to see him pass away. Especially at just 55.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This has really been the fascinating, if depressing, part of this for me - finding out the sheer number of games he had a hand in. Balloon Fight, EarthBound, Pokémon, Kirby... hell, he's the reason Smash has Nintendo characters. I knew him as a lovable face for a company I had a nostalgic attachment to, but it turns out the man was instrumental in the games that defined my childhood. Just a tremendously sad loss for the entire industry.

Jedi Ben, Life and Chewgumma like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I forget what interview it was but Iwata had an amusing comment about how engineers couldn't pull one over on him as CEO since he used to be one of them. Forced honesty tends to streamline many things considerably, ha.

Another good quote from NWR's article in his passing:

''On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.''

Jedi Ben, Life and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    It is a mixture of shock and sadness to learn of his passing. He always came across as a positive force and good natured personality, especially in those Iwata Asks, Nintendo Directs and interviews. Those were fun to read and watch. I had thought that he was on the mend and just needed some time to recover more as to why he couldn't attend E3 2015. The more I try to think about it and to find the words to say, it just makes me feel more sad.

This, it is a good quote. I remember reading how the last time he was in the 'field' was when he helped debug Smash Bros. Melee to ensure it got out on time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Damn, that's so sad.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    kubricklynch likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure, the write-ups seem good, but that's because reviewers didn't get to the second disk, where you just sit around and read exposition.

Xenogears is a thing people played, right? Right?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More rumored details on the Universal/Nintendo plans: http://www.slashfilm.com/universal-video-game-theme-park/

In short, they're taking a multi-park approach (instead of all in one park) even though a third Universal gate might be video game-themed (with Blizzard properties being another major player). A MK ride and some form of both Pokemon and Zelda are being developed- and they're more than just retheming the kiddie section, as some had speculated.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Got around to watching the Mario Maker E3 trailer - am now intrigued.

Going to have to get that hard drive sooner than expected.

How's Splatoon for 1-player game?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a pretty good platformer/puzzler/shooter hybrid. The nature of the levels definitely evoke Mario Galaxy (each level is made up of multiple smaller platforming challenge areas, you have to think about different surface areas, all accessed through an expanding hubworld, etc), though it's not as elaborate as that. I've read a lot of raves about the final boss too (haven't gotten there yet myself).

The Amiibo challenge remixes of stages definitely extend/enhance the single player mode as well.

17. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

The single player campaign is alright, but definitely not the main focus/selling point of the game.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IGN did a feature where they played Super Mario Maker for 2 hours. They even crowdsourced two of the stages. I have another half an hour to watch, but as of right now, I'm REALLY looking forward to this game. I have it pre-ordered on Amazon. There was a deal where if you pre-ordered it (as a Prime member) then you get $10 off. Not sure if that deal is still going on, but I pulled the trigger and I believe does Amazon release date delivery so it should be at my house when I get home on 9/11. I can't wait!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/07/31/ign-plays-live-presents-super-mario-maker-073115

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was also revealed that SMM will be be compatible with 99 Amiibo for costumes: every Amiibo announced, even including some AC cards.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    That's cool. I don't own any amiibos, nor do I plan to buy any, but I heard from Nintendo Treehouse or IGN that if someone scans theirs and they put it in their stage then you'll still be able to play as that character so I look forward to those little surprises.

Are there really 99 amiibos already?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I read somewhere it'll be possible to unlock some/all costumes without an amiibo but haven't seen the details yet.

It seems like a high number, but, yeah, there will be close to that many by the end of the year:

-8x Animal Crossing
    -1x Chibi Robo
    -2x Skylander hybrids (not counting variants)
    -3x Splatoon
    -1x Yarn Yoshi (not counting different colors)
    -8x Mario Party (though most of these read as duplicate characters, IIRC Gold Mario had a unique ID tag that could allow games to treat him differently if they wanted. I assume Silver Mario is the same).
    -1x 8-Bit Mario (not counting variants)
    -55 Smash Bros. (not counting variants)

That's around 75-80 unique figurines, 80-86 if you count duplicates/variants as "being compatible" (which they are). The rest of the 99 will come from Amiibo cards (AC Series 1 has 100 cards though Not all will work with SMM obviously).

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few unannounced ones tucked into that total (there's no way they're not making the Koopalings as variants of Bowser Jr at some point)

EDIT- The three Mii Fighters are not in that total, so that puts things at 72-78/77-83.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    So looking forward to Super Mario Maker. Preordered the bundle with the book and Classic 8-bit Mario Amiibo. Since SMW was my first Mario game, I probably be using that skin set for the levels I develop. I wonder if there be 16-bit sprites and NSMB style for the amiibo costumes.

Good news though, Xenoblade Chronicles Wii just appeared on the Wii U eShop in my region. Downloaded it and played it for a bit and enjoying it a lot, looking forward to more. All I need is for The Last Story to appear for my collection (got Pandora's Tower which is quite fun).

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooh, I was really hoping they'd make that one available- though I'll probably wait until after I play X as I don't want to get burned out on it.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A mate flagged that XC is available in UK too.

It's an excellent move - get it!

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I am terrified to live in a world where Xenoblade Chronicles actually gets sold in an easily accessible manner. This future we chose truly is frightening.