main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Time for a new Q: Say you have save data for a Wii game that has been transferred to the Wii U, that game then becomes available digitally via the eShop and you decide to switch, does the eShop digital edition recognise your save data from the Wii physical edition?

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Time for a new Q: Say you have save data for a Wii game that has been transferred to the Wii U, that game then becomes available digitally via the eShop and you decide to switch, does the eShop digital edition recognise your save data from the Wii physical edition?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's a really good question. I know upgrading VC games from a Wii VC transfer does not transfer save data because you're essentially switching emulators. I don't know if actual Wii games have the same issue.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !? Oh, that's good to know - thanks.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- save data transfers but if you upgrade the game to the U's VC version you are starting fresh.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    For normal VC titles, you start from fresh.

If you have transferred you contents from the Wii and then download the eShop version of the Wii game, it should pick up on your saved files as it essentially goes into Wii Mode but with the option to use the Gamepad as a controller for games that support the Classic Controller Pro. So yes, you can pick up from your save file for Wii eShop games.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, the XCX offer is tempting, would only end up being £2 diff from Amazon but I wouldn't be paying Amazon...

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I just saw that the Limited Edition bundle is coming to Australia so I'll be ordering the physical copy. I want that art book!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but I'm reading that if you buy XC on the shop, you get a discount on XCX if you download it within 2 weeks of release.

Once again, I'll be paying for my love of physical copies... ;)

On the upside, that limited edition of XCX was announced to be coming to NA yesterday- or at least *a* LE (could be different).

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I liked the article that is explains a lot about the situation. It still puzzles me that we got the SNES Lucasfilm games on Wii VC but not the N64 titles. With Steam and GOG getting classic titles like X-Wing/TIE Fighter, etc I hope we be getting the same for the eShop. I wouldn't mind some of the Disney titles like Tarzan, The Lion King, etc.

Not gonna get my hopes up but I wish that they will release the Rogue Squadron Wii, even if as eShop exclusive VC title.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'd love to see the Capcom/Disney titles released. Or at the very least let WayForward do an HD remaster like they did for Duck Tales.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Agreed! Ducktales Remastered was awesome and I hope they do more. I know back with the GBA, Capcom kinda did do a rerelease for the GBA on select titles. I've got Aladdin and played The Lion King but The Lion King one was different on GBA due to the SNES been made by Virgin Entertainment.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "And I think to myself, what a Mario world..."
    [​IMG]

Unrelated, a game tends to be pretty good when the intro level ends with a pile of your enemy's corpses:

[​IMG]

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've been grouping mine in sets. Metroid, Fire Emblem, Mario, etc. Then eShop for all the Indie and misc titles I have.

Shantae is awesome. I've been making my way through the series on 3DS. Was hard to choose between the Wii U and 3DS version of Pirate's Curse but 3DS version won out for the portability matter.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, when was Donkey Kong 64 out on Virtual Console? That was Rare too, I think, but Donkey Kong is definitely Nintendo property. Although sometimes the DKC games come and go but wasn't sure if that was license related or they were moving them from Wii to Wii U. Maybe I'll get DK64, never finished it (though I think I got the green N64 way back, that was a nice color).

Sad to hear that about N64 games, but oh well, NES and SNES tends to have more of the classics (I remember spending forever on the Super Star Wars games on SNES). Too bad Capcom probably doesn't bother porting more of their old games (the Mega Man franchise is still barely alive due to ports of old games). I still fondly remember Mickey's Magical Quest and Circus on SNES, some of my favorite platformers. And then they ported them to GBA and I wasn't paying attention (there were tons of GBA games) and missed them, oh well.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo still outright owns the DKC games and Diddy Kong Racing (though, as the article mentions, there's a small question of the two Rare-owned characters that also appear in it).

DK64 was one of the first two U VC N64 titles put out earlier this year I believe.

Yeah I've been doing something similar- groups by series (red for Mario, green for Zelda, yellow for DK, grey for Castlevania, etc) but everything left over gets grouped by system (I also broke up Metroid by system since I'm only going to have Super Metroid & the original as M2 will probably never be on a console VC and M4 & ZM I still have active saves on the actual carts so I'll just use the GBA player for those)

. Anything new that I'm still actively playing (or trying to remind myself to play) stays on the main screen.

I'm less organized on my 3DS- the only folder I have there so far is for GB games and that's just Kid Icarus 2 and the remaining Mario/Wario Land games to finish out the collection from the Wii U title evolution.

EDIT- Pandora's Tower is hitting the NA eShop tomorrow. That just leaves The Last Story for the Operation Rainfall titles...

Has PT & TLS been as expensive or hard to get as XC? Might be tempted by the digital version (only $19.99).

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yeah, DK64 came out the same time as SM64. I was tempted to pick it up but I don't think I want to go about completing it 101% again.

I have seen the physical PAL copy of Pandora's Tower at one or two stores but it is still going around $60 AUD and I got the eShop copy for $13 (during the eShop copy launch promo). I have asked about for TLS and XC but it is impossible to get as physical copy in Australia so I hope we get the eShop version for TLS soon.

Loving XC so far and wish I had more time in the day to play it. The landscapes are amazing and the music… oh the music is outstanding… especially the main theme.

I wished I picked up the limited edition with the soundtrack when it came out on Wii. I think the voice actor for Fiora might be the same one for the girl in PT as they sound very similar or the same (I need to go back and continue my save on PT but this is XC!) I don't want to give out spoilers but everyone must get it when it comes available in your region if you have not already got it before.

I just watched this video on Super Mario Maker and I'm even more excited to get it. Music levels!

19. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    No idea about PT, but Amazon still has new copies of Last Story for $30, so guess that counts as not that rare (compared to Xenoblade anyway). Don't have as much time for games as I used to, but definitely going to finish Xenoblade before X comes out.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Downside is that Amazon does not ship PAL games to my region :(

Yeah, I should be able to finish XC before XCX comes out and hopefully a few other titles too. I did finish Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) which is a title from the eShop. That was a pleasant experience… a puzzle platformer with a lovely art design and the story is based off a native Alaskan story. It was nicely done and I want to see more.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Xenoblade's soundtrack is truly excellent.

Oh and ensure you explore, albeit carefully! (Game actually is very fair on that.)

EDIT: Oh yeah and this track....

= Trouble!

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The, uh, big spoiler of The Last Story is that you're not actually missing out on much. I think desperate Wii reviewers kind of latched onto it, and it's commendable of XSeed to go out of their way to bring it over, but there are better games from that gen that you should prioritize over it (Including both of the other big Wii JRPGs and one of Mistwalker's other projects, Lost Odyssey).

Actually everyone should play Lost Odyssey; I know it's not on a Nintendo system but it's the best SNES RPG in years.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Woah, that track is awesome. Seems JRPG's are among the few genres that still keep that rock/metal/symphony fusion style.

What about LO makes it SNES RPG-like?

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Killer Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack; Hironobu Sagaguchi, who's basically responsible for most of the classic SNES RPGs, on plot duties; and turn-based combat with an interesting twist. It even has character designs by the guy who drew Slam Dunk, so it's approximately as early 90s RPG as an Xbox 360 game can get.

What's weird about it is that Mistwalker brought that kind of talent to bear on every project but Lost Odyssey is the only one where everything clicked. Uh, unless you like deliberate use of cliches and Deep Purple, I guess.

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Lost Odyssey, was that the 360 game spread across four discs? I think I picked up a used copy once, but my room is a mess so no idea where it is by now. So many games to get through, so little time.