main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Doesn't it give the advantage of a small degree of tactile feedback, though?

I guess one thing I love about this is it's GBA/GCN connectivity done right (heck, that Chase Mii tech demo was basically Pacman VS using Toad), with a dash of DC VMU- so while it's not necessarily as brand new as the Wiimote/nunchuk was, I'm excited that they can bring that interface's potential to not only mainstream but as the core interface to a new system, and in that regard, I think this wows people just as much as the wiimote did, because it opens up so many possibilities.

For example- think of the possibilities of configurable hot-buttons for MMOs or flight sims.

They could port X-wing/TIE Fighter to this system and have minimal (if any) loss of control input. That's not something you could say about any other platform's standard controller.

Going by the reaction vids on the net, its supposedly lightweight (here's an IGN one that mentions the lightweight). Some people find it odd to hold a controller with such a widestance, as it's something they're just not used to, but that the lightweight offsets that and makes it easy to adjust.

Other details:

-The discs will be 25GB iDensity discs, about equal to what the PS3's single layer BDs can hold.
    -The system's internal flash memory is 8GB.
    -Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD cards.
    -IBM says "the microprocessor serving as "the heart" of the console is a custom 45nm chip, with embedded DRAM that "is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience".
    -The processor is based on the same technology used in the Watson supercomputer.
    -High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output.
    -6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution.
    -Games will also be available as downloadable content
    -Console compatible with Wii games and devices
    -Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012.
    -Controller is rechargeable and has rumble.

Also, looks like Miyamoto is delaying Pikmin Wii to be a Wii U title now.

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.ebgames.com.au/wiiu-153813-Wii-U-Wii-U?utm_source=webmail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=WiiU&utm_campaign=20110608_E3

Near $600 here. Just a guessimate though.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Wow, that's a lot of memory per disc. Wonder if it'll be able to play Blu-rays too or they just developed their own equivalent of Blu-ray. We haven't seen any in-game footage yet (still too early for that), but there is a ton of potential, as seen in the Zelda HD demo. Now if only they could release a Zelda game before the end of a Nintendo console's lifetime. Although Zelda does guarantee one last sales boost for any console, so sometimes I wonder if it's intentional (probably not). And especially with Pikmin delayed until the next generation. Was Pikmin 2 ever re-released?

I would put the console's price at somewhere between... $300 and $400. Even Sony seems to have learned from their initial PS3 price mistake, and the aging 360 is already approaching the Wii's price point. Not to mention the NGP, er Vita's price point is basically a challenge to the 3DS'. So I doubt Nintendo would price their console too much or else people won't buy it. Not unless there's a dream list of launch titles (say, new Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda and/or Smash Bros., but considering the director is still finishing up Kid Icarus, the next Smash Bros. is probably at least several years away). If they did have that many games, they could charge whatever they want, but that's unlikely. Anyway, Nintendo usually uses older technology that won't be quite so expensive so they don't need a huge price to make a profit or break even.

I am curious how much connectivity the Wii U and 3DS will have. Smash Bros. has been mentioned, of course, but the new controller sorta fulfills the role Nintendo attempted to create for the GBA and DS. Since those attempts involved people having both handhelds and consoles, it didn't work out that well, but now with the DS equivalent built in, they don't need to worry about that. Of course, that also kind of makes the 3DS redundant, unless they come up with some really useful ways to justify cross Wii U/3DS connectivity (like get extra items or a bonus if you have both a handheld and console version of a game). Funny enough I think Sony was also pushing that angle somewhat too at their conference.

Still, it was a nice reveal. Not quite as... eye-catching as last year's 3DS intro (when models walked out carrying 3DS demo units), but it turned out pretty well and it was another strong show. I don't think Nintendo shows up at Tokyo Game Show, do they? Just trying to figure out when they'll release more info for the Wii U. Still gotta get used to calling it that. Although I still mostly expect next year's E3 to be another big one then a 2012 holiday release.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really don't think they can afford to charge more than $299- they have to be competitive with 360 & PS3. They're not going to gain gamer ground pricing over the other systems. $50 "newness" premium at most. But in that range, they'll have to have two controllers included.

Not Blu-ray, they're using proprietary iDensity discs.

(of course, with that name, I'm inclined to wish they glow like Tron identity discs ;))

I could see a NSMB-like Mario launch title, but I would agree that Smash is at least a 2013 title.

Maybe they can use the 3DS as additional video controllers, to circumvent any processing limitations rendering/streaming 5 screens might otherwise cause?

Yeah, Nintendo usually skips TGS, instead they do Nintendo World (formerly known as Space World) for Japan. I'd expect that in Dec/January-ish for WiiU game debuts and launch announcements.

EDIT- Early Details on Smash Bros

Sakurai has only started to assemble his thoughts on the next Smash. Bros titles. According to the translation, he doesn't feel a simple extension of Melee and Brawl will work. In other words, Sakurai doesn't want to simply expand stages and character counts, or enhance the graphics and call it a day. That was one of the reasons he didn't simply walk away from a 3DS-based Smash Bros. and work with Wii U.

Currently Sakurai's thought process is focused on the notion that a portable experience is a more personal one. Only one player is likely to be using a portable system, and it might be interesting to allow that player to customize Smash Bros. fighters on the 3DS, which could then be brought over to the larger world of a home console Smash Bros. Sakurai's thinking is that an element of communication between the two versions will make both better.

A big discussion point amongst IGN staff, as well as readers, is the balance of characters. Some, like Meta Knight, seem incredibly overpowered compared to others. Sakurai noted in his discussion with Iwata that in the past he has done all of the balancing personally. He plans to involve his staff much more for these future installments.

The foundation of the 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros. titles has yet to be established. Sakurai noted he would use Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a starting point and move on from there.

EDIT 2- Wii U will not have GCN backwards compatibility

Damn, that sucks. I wonder if it'll still have GCN controller compatibility?

EDIT 3- Going by this vi

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well you can't really expect them to mire the new system down with too many older technologies. I guess what I'll do is keep my Wii for GCN games and Wii games that can use those controllers, and then use the Wii-U for Wii games that can't. Besides, my two gamecubes need some love, Maybe I'll crack one out for old time's sake and play melee and double-dash.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't want the system to be bogged down by backwards compatibility, but given that the Wii format was just an upsized GCN format, it's not a matter of compatibility. The only remaining issue is the disc drive being able to read a smaller GCN disc and the need for GCN controller and memory card ports.

It seemed like it would have been a feature to include pretty easily without negatively impacting the hardware.

Some news from an Nintendo/Ubisoft Q&A:

-Ubisoft won't be using Friend Codes for stuff like Ghost Recon Online (so FCs won't be a mandatory feature on the new system, if used at all).
    -Ubisoft has 5 games in the works:
    --Assassin's Creed
    --Raving Rabbids
    --A new "multi-sport" game
    --Ghost Recon Online, which will use the controller ("Crosscom 2.0" was their name for it) to control drone actions on the map as well as set beacons for tactical usage, and it replicates the actual touchpad devices troops use for intel. The built in mic is used for voice chat.
    --Gyro controls to guide missle POV attacks on the controller screen, feeding visual data to other players' controller screens
    --"The title will also have a "Ghost Feed" that enables players to get a continuous info feed on their controller, even if the TV is off or broadcasting a program. On the feed, players can track how their friends are doing (achievements and whatnot), schedule matches, check stats, and see how you and your friends are doing in various micro-competitions. Basically, it's like a stat tracking app for the Wii U!"
    --Killer Freaks From Outer Space: an FPS that utilizes gyro controls to look around:

In one player vs. player demo, a developer used the Wii U controller, while another used the Wii Classic Controller. Thus, the Wii U controller player saw an overhead view of the view, enabling him to scroll through. This player was the "alien commander", out to erase the human race, starting with the Wii Classic Controller dude. To do so, the Wii U controller player selected various "freaks" to respawn, simply by tapping the Wii U controller screen. The freaks then spawned on the FPS player's view (the television screen). This wasn't an automatic win?the Classic Controller player snagged a jetpack and won the round.

Ubisoft called this feature "Real-Time Enemy Director" or the RED System, and, according to Ubisoft, "It can allow anyone to be a game master."

The game looked early, but the gun effects were not yet Resistance-caliber.

Ubisoft also showed an Assassin's Creed logo and a Wii U one. Ubisoft talked up the Wii U's memory capacity and horsepower, that allows them to use the game's "Anvil Engine", which has powered previous AC games.

According to Ubisoft, the Wii U "fully suports graphical shaders", meaning Ubisoft can reuse game assets across all platforms. Currently, Ubisoft is prototyping many things for the Wii U controller, such as a persistent on-screen map, interactive database, fast weapon selection, alternative puzzles, and "eagle vision/sense".

Here's a teaser trailer for it

Love that they're basically nastier versions of the Rabbids, ha.

Kotaku has more screenshots and concept art

I love the comment suggestion that they release a Rabbid skin for those freaks.

7. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    With the new Smash Bros coming out for the system, does anyone wonder what (if any) 3rd party characters will be in it? I'd absolutely love to see Starkiller, including the use of the Wii-exclusive Force Unleashed 1 Force Maelstrom move as his Final Smash. Travis Touchdown is another one I'd love to see, along with Nintendo characters such as Waluigi and Samurai Goroh being playable instead of their roles being limited to just Assist Trophies. Also, if they bring back Snake, they gotta bring Raiden along for the ride, am I right?

Like last year, Nintendo once again won E3, IMO.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Three Amazing Things You'll Do With Aliens: Colonial Marines On The Wii U

The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker, a device in the fiction of the Alien universe that can track the location of enemies and friendlies by their motion. Pitchford explained that players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller.

Squeeeeeeee!!!!!:D[face_love][face_dancing]

To this day the most I've ever been scared from a video game was while playing as the Marine in Alien vs. Predator 2. Nothing gets your adrenaline up like that motion sensor going off.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Too right mate, I can't tell you how scary it gets hearing your motion sensor going off while your all alone in the dark with only a crap pistol.

I've been waiting for Colonial Marines for years and it looks like their using the Wii U to full effect. I love this idea of using the controller for the motion tracker! That is awesome!

10. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Whenever they get around to seriously working on the next Smash Bros. they must, MUST, put Mega Man in there. It would be so awesome, and Mega Man did get his start on the NES. Although there are plenty of other characters that could be thrown in, and that also depends on Capcom, especially after Capcom neglected to put Mega Man (any version of him) in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I'm still kind of mad about that.

And yeah, seems like Nintendo had the best conference again. :) Mostly as Nintendo can often trot out a few classic franchises, although the full-on symphony orchestra was sure impressive, and they're really pushing the 3DS' lineup for this holiday season and a new console reveal always generates a ton of interest. Although the other companies are also slightly in a slump (Microsoft's only exclusive big ones are a Halo remake, Halo 4 is still too far away and Gears of War, and Sony's still recovering from the PSN debacle although Sony has quite a few strong exclusive franchises too).

While I'm slightly sad that there won't be Gamecube compatibility, I'm not too surprised. While playing Gamecube discs probably won't be that hard, adding Gamecube controller ports, not to mention memory card slots, would probably still raise the cost of the system (even a little bit) for something that's quite old by this point, so they probably figured not enough need for it. Heck, Sony sort of has the same philosophy with how they took out PS2 compatibility out of the PS3, probably partially cause it was expensive but also because the PS2 was still selling a few new units (not to mention that way Sony can make more money by re-releasing PS2 games in HD collections).

There's been no mention of whether they'll keep the console Virtual Store going, will they? Its mostly slowing down these days, although a few gems are still coming out, for instance Chrono Trigger just came out in the last few months. Not to mention how to transfer over titles, although I doubt they'll bother (unlike the 3DS' ability to transfer content over from a DSi).

Blu-rays will probably be out, don't want to support Sony's format too much, and I don't think Nintendo will try to compete directly as a media platform compared to the other consoles. I wonder if they'll include DVD playback this time though.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I get not wanting to add on GCN hardware to the new system, I was still holding out hope that, at the very least, we'd have controller ports for Wii games that utilize that (I mean, Smash Bros without a GCN controller? I don't think a classic controller will suffice).

At the same time, it's not the same thing as PS2/PS3 where it'd completely different hardware. Wii is GCN 1.5 tech, and Wii U is GCN 2.0, really, so backwards compatibility shouldn't have been much of an issue.

As for Smash Bros, yeah, I think it's safe to say Mega Man is at the top of everyone's lists. If they can get Simon Belmont in there, it'd be a perfect Captain N rounded cast (Mega Man vs Belmont vs Pitt vs Link (or Fox, because Fox's powers are really very close to Captain N's what with the fast-dash and blaster) melee!)

12. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    When I saw the controller I thought of a Kindle. I'll admit watching the golf and shuriken stuff was pretty cool, but it seems more like an accessory than something from a new system. I'm curious to know more..

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Controller size comparison:

[image=http://cdn.electricpig.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/wii-numbers-graph-large.jpg]

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, it's bigger than the vita.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Wii U screen is almost as big as the entire Vita device itself.

[image=http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/117/1171214/what-we-want-in-a-new-smash-bros-20110527045656250.jpg]
    (fan art, but still, awesome)

IGN has an interview with Sakurai on Smahs Bros,:

"I can't say that it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendo's characters in a fighting game.

"In fact, I actually think it's a miracle that we got Smash Bros. and all the Nintendo characters to work together in the first place. Especially when you bring Pokemon into the mix and a lot of the complications that are caused by that being an almost completely different entity on its own, it's really something. So this is something that obviously will come up more as we get started on the new Smash Bros. development, but keeping those things in mind I think is important."

Mega Man is a must, but Viewtiful Joe would be an awesome addition as well- he'd fit right in (and, being that he was most prominently a Nintendo platform Capcom game, it would track better than, say, Cloud).

Gameplay footage demo for Killer Freaks From Outer Space, including the Real-Time Enemy Director mode.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Cloud... :eek: I'd love that.

17. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I think Cloud is a very longshot at most though. We're talking about FF7 Cloud, right? Cloud has only appeared in... one game on a Nintendo platform I think, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Although haven't played that Kingdom Hearts DS game, but anyway, every FF7 game has shown up on a Sony platform, whereas at least Snake has shown up on Nintendo platforms and Sega went out of the console market long ago.

It is kind of funny hearing that the first Smash Bros. was a minor miracle. It was magnificent how they managed to get together so many of Nintendo's biggest franchises and have everything mostly balanced out and it all seemed to just make sense.

Although cross-universe games weren't completely unheard of. Not sure if this or Marvel vs. Capcom came first, although I think Capcom might've come a little earlier, but then Smash Bros became one of Nintendo's flagship series, well, a series with characters from several other series, but still extremely popular, considering the cheering that arose when Mr. Iwata mentioned Smash Bros.

Anyway, yeah, Mega Man or Joe would fit in pretty well, but that also depends on Capcom and... my faith in Capcom is somewhat shaky at the moment, especially after Mr. Inafune left the company.

Oh yeah, not sure if its been mentioned in this topic yet, but apparently the Wii U won't upscale Wii games, unfortunately. I was really hoping for that feature at least, though I think it was said that the games just weren't meant to be upscaled, although I would sure would pay serious money to have some very nice looking Wii games look even better. Although given Nintendo hasn't announced the price yet for the Wii U, it probably will be quite expensive, but then its the only new console for the next few years too.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've heard there's emulators that upscale GCN/Wii games. If that's the case, it's a shame the Wii U won;t be able to do the same.

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Nintendo Says Wii U Won't Play DVD Or Blu-ray Movies

I find it particularly interesting where Iwata says "The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray..."

I do. I call it my Playstation 3.

Anyway, I think it's a risky move by Nintendo, even if it may help keep the cost down.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's risky at all- I mean, we knew it wasn't going to play BD (same way Xbox doesn't and won't), so that just leaves DVD. Who doesn't have at least one non-gaming DVD player by now? Most people probably have at least two (not even counting computers).

And now those standalone players are getting replaced by BD players. And while, granted, the early push for PS3 was a cheap BD player (much like the PS2 was a cheap DVD player), now that prices are reasonable for standalone players people are going to prefer a standalone player that can play BD/DVD better than multifunction machines like a gaming console.

Last fall I had my brother in law bring his PS3 over so I could check out some of the bonus features exclusive to the Iron Man 2 BD (I picked up the combo pack) and it was a nightmare trying to navigate the movie using the controller (and all I was trying to do at one point was fast forward through the end credits!). A few months ago I picked up a BD standalone player and there was no problem- even with the relatively-cheap-by-Sony-standards remote.

Anyways, take BD out of the equation and that leaves DVD- a format that people are starting to move away from for buying their movies on.

Between Netflix streaming and the Wii U's ability to switch to TV while gaming on the controller, you really have all your bases covered.

And, if that ends up being the difference between launching a system at $299 and launching a system at $349, then it's really a no brainer. Why sabotage your launch with a high price point to include a feature no one needs/uses?

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The PS3 is actually one of the best Blu Ray players out there (and you can get a remote.)

I agree that it's not a needed feature for the Wii U though (it's worth remembering that Netflix exists only in the US though. :p)

24. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Wonder how long it'll take for homebrew to mod in DVD playback. Although Blu-ray playback will probably be impossible, as whatever the Wii U uses will probably be different from a Blu-ray player's reader. Although as they would've probably had to pay to license Blu-ray, no point in doing so. So they're not going to try and go head to head with the PS3 on that, but apparently they are going to include social networking stuff this time around.

And the PS3 works fine for me as a DVD and Blu-ray player, although I have quite a few other things lying around (including my current computer) that can play DVDs. Not to mention even DVDs and Blu-rays' eventual fate is slightly in doubt with the rise of digital distribution (although I will always prefer a physical copy of my favorite movies and if I have the space, my games too, although I won't ignore online sales). Blu-ray wins out over HD-DVD and now it has to deal with streaming. And it does take a while to get used to, but you can use the controller to watch a movie quite easily (L2 and R2 fast-forward I believe). The remote works fine too (the only problem with it is that they placed certain buttons too close together in an unusual configuration so I kept pushing the wrong button).

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess I've just always hated using a controller instead of a remote- the PS2 as a DVD player had similar navigational hurdles. Just seems like the various functions never worked like they do on a standalone player/remote as if they were interpreted differently for each device.

Though I am surprised that the PS3 would be considered one of the best BD players- always figured it'd be a lower cost anchor baby for the format like the PS2 was for DVD. But, I haven't really read up on home theater reviews of the tech like I was back when DVD launched.