main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, Mario Maker's amazing! I LOVE IT! :) It just makes me so happy when I'm playing it for some reason.

It's super easy to jump into unlike some other level editors I've come across (Disney Infinity, Geometry Dash, etc.). Easily one of the Wii U's best experiences. I've already made four levels myself.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I find myself putting a lot of detail into mine, as such I've easily spent 6-9 hours just making 1.5 levels ;). And I don't even have the full toolset!

The costumes are fun too- they even have an effect in the 10 Mario Challenge. For instance, if you finish a set of levels as Bowser, it alters Toad's dialogue to something like "Sorry, but, uh... you... took the Princess to another castle!".

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tatsumi Kimishima has been named the new Nintendo president.

He's the current head of HR, former Managing Director , former CFO of the Pokemon Company's US arm & former President of NOA (before Reggie). Prior to that he also had a lot of banking experience.

Miyamoto is now listed as "Creative Fellow" while Takeda is "Technology Fellow".

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I thought that was a nice touch with Bowser in the 10 Mario Challenge, makes me want to see if other characters get different results too. Also love how you get that small fanfare when you complete course as a costumed character (Legend of Zelda tune for Link). The three Yarn Yoshi Amiibo also works as separate costumes from the Smash/Mario line of Yoshi.

Some of the maps I've played are a work of art while some others feels… sadistic.. even though very creative in their execution. So far I have been playing around mostly with elements (like experimenting what happens if you put a Blooper family in the Lakitu clouds) while also focusing on a single level.

Kimishima, I have heard of him from one of my podcasts I listen to. He does have the experience and early statement to continue the work Iwata had started sounds promising and hopeful. Makes me wonder what the next year will be like as we get closer to the next platform and the various other partnerships (DeNA, Universal) either taken off or about to by that time.

EDIT: Also wanted to share this. Happy 30th Mario!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I get the feeling Kimishima is meant to bring some stability and experience while they make a more extended search for a new President that's younger or more engaging like Iwata.

I mean, at 65, I assume at some point the guy will want to retire. But he'll oversee the NX launch and get the next project direction set during his tenure at the very least. The next guy will have a less turbulent situation to step into then, presumably.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning Super Mario Maker, I read that content was supposed to unlock after 5-15 minutes in the editor with the new tools. That isn't happening for me. I've spent at least an hour on each level I've built and so far I've only unlocked the water and lava skins, as well as half the items in the 3rd row. Any tips on speeding up the process without messing with the calendar settings?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks, I'll give it another whirl!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That also probably explains why my unlocks have been slow coming but suddenly happen when I'm filling in my level...

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I got the update (it says 1.01 on the title screen at least) and I still was forced to go through the 9-day-time limit. It's the only time I've ever used time traveling.

I refuse to use it on Animal Crossing: NL.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a little frustrating but at the same time it definitely achieves the result of making you a better level designer when you're forced to fully utilize the selection available and keep your designs focused. There are a ton of small "aha!" moments I've had making my levels so far that I would have probably never come up with if I had been distracted by the full palette.

Given how much time I've put into each level, I usually start with one set and unlock 1 or 2 new sets by time I finish, which usually means I have a solid foundation of a level with just the older palette but can still add a few extra newer elements in as polish by the end, which allows an escalation of content as you approach the goal.

The only real downside is having to shelve some ideas I want to do until I get the full palette (in particular I'd really have liked to have had immediate access to sub areas via pipes as well as the Mario shadow trail overlay).

In unrelated news, the 4 paid DLC XCX character packs in Japan will be free for NA & Europe.

Jedi Ben and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, one of the 1st things I tried to do was create a sub-world. Sadly, a friend told me that's the last thing he unlocked. The 2nd thing I wanted to do was see the trails so I could put large gaps for jumps and that finally unlocked yesterday.

When I got home from work yesterday I got my Sunday delivery since I didn't play on Sunday and then I started creating a level and just kept adding tons and tons of stuff, then deleted it, and added more stuff until I finally not the next truck that had Mario 3 and? Mario World. I can't remember if they were together or separate, but I finally got both. The last update I got later in the evening were the sound effects. I played with them a little bit before heading to bed. I was trying to find the fireworks which is the boxing glove when shaken.

I've posted 5 (maybe 6) levels. I'll have to post the IDs, but if you find Tony from the USA, my stages (from memory) are called:
    First Course, Danielle<3, Bullet Bounce, Knock on Heaven's Door, and Quick Tetris. Danielle<3 is actually 2.0 version of that stage, but I just deleted the old one and put up the new one.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to direct SMM level posts to the this new SMM thread, it'll make it easier to find them compared to digging through this thread. So, post those codes there when you get a chance but I'll take a look for them in the meantime.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Kinda related…

EDIT: And I just saw that the Smash Bros. thread been updated with the video. :p

Side note, that is good news bout the XCX DLC being free for our region. I wonder if I will be able to get XC finished in time since I got Disney Infinity, SMM and with the likes of Star Fox Zero coming soon.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of SFZ, saw this cool little poster ad for it at GS:

[​IMG]

I like the figurine feel of the image- kinda reminds me, in a way, of the puppets used to advertise the original game- something with a physicality to it.

In other news, Nintendo has confirmed that the Directs will continue but haven't revealed any more details yet.

Also, Nintendo is merging the EAD & SPD groups into one group (presumably called EPD)- it's this restructuring that resulted in Miyamoto's new title.

Two other divisions are also being created- a platform centric one consolidating various hardware and OS groups as well as a business group dealing with dedicated gaming hardware business models, smart device strategies and IP management.

So, things shaking up a bit.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999

Probably not unless you do a speed run and I suspect, from what you've done already, you won't want to.

Fortunately, both games are free-standing.

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh… that Star Fox poster is awesome. It be great if we could get an Arwing model or hanger diorama with the game.
    With XC, yeah, I do not want to miss out on anything if I can help it.
    I am mostly done with Satori Marsh and backtracking to see if there are more quests to clear in the previous areas.
    Good to know XCX is free-standing so I can jump between the two without worry.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You've done quite a bit - so you've noticed there's certain enemies that come up as: DO NOT ENGAGE - LEG IT!

19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh… there's been quite a few close calls and the "didn't quite make it" moments :p

Star Fox Zero has been delayed till 1Q 2016 to add more polish to it. It is unfortunate but understandable.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooh, damn- that really guts Nintendo's holiday. SFZ was already elevated to main event after Zelda vacated this year.

Not to say that I'm sure it won't be worth it, but still.

On the upside I expect XCX to get a much bigger push now.

I did find the full version of the SFZ ad though:

[​IMG]

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What I find unusual is that, when that happens - and it can easily - the game doesn't punish you, it just warps back to a signpost - it's unusually fair for a video game!

Thanks for the Starfox news, that makes my expected spending for Nov easier! :)

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm happy to save that 60 in November.

BTW- a massive TRU Amiibo restock appears to be incoming in the U.S. in the next couple weeks. Inventory reports of 80k (!!) Villagers, 26k+ on Fox, Falcon, Mac & Lucario. (That should average out to around 30-80 per store, which is pretty good)

So basically the last of the Holy Trinity and all of the Wave 1/2/3a regular rare and rare-uncommons outside of Pit. .

Presumably this is beefing up stock availability for Amiibo Festival and a (now-delayed) SFZ to go along w the AC wave and Falco.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Did you guys see on Youtube or IGN when people take apart an Amiibo and its essentially just a small circular chip in the bottom of the base and that 99% of it is just the plastic figure. Do you think Nintendo will maybe go to a card system, where I can scan a card and have the Amiibo? Maybe in a year, if sales die down, they will release card versions for half the price?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    When they first mentioned Amiibo cards, they hinted that that might be how they'd get people access to the game content for hard to find figures but I think the backlash against that as a substitute geared the cards more towards content not worthy of a figure.

However I think there'll eventually be some overlap- like with AC.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just fired up the Wii U for the first time in a while so that my daughter could watch Netflix on it. A few updates were installed, I guess. Did Nintendo change the start-up menu? I can't find Netflix anywhere. The home button (Wii U Start Menu) brings me to this screen with a circle occupied by dozens of Miis chatting amongst themselves about various topics (sometimes I see images of Zelda or other games, etc).

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get to the screen that lists my installed apps (like Netflix). This new interface is driving me crazy.