main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Calgary Expo - April 26-27 2008

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DrHaggis, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Looks like Amy Allen (Aayla Secura) will be the Star Wars guest at this years Comic and Entertainment Expo (April 26-27). Also up is George Takei, and the usual list of talented artists.

If we are going to have a booth at this event, we need to start planning now, so we do it right. Last year was a bit of a gong show.

For more information
    http://www.calgaryexpo.com

2. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Aayla? Nice. Can't wait to see what the new show will be like with the two day spread.

I do agree that the table situation needs to be addressed, as it was a smidge disorganized. I'd love to pitch in though I'm reasonably sure I'll be working the Red 5 booth, but I'll be happy to relieve anyone who's working there for a while. Depending how long the day is, maybe we can have a core group of volunteers with some 'relief hitters' to let them get up and enjoy the show for an hour or two, stretch their legs and go to the washroom, that sort of thing?

Stacy

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'll try not to take those comments too personally - since I was the only one who even wanted to try and organize things and IMHO, I did a pretty good job. There was a great deal of apathy last year - lots of interest in attending the Expo, but not much committment in helping out at the FF table. And to give credit to those who did lend their time, abilities and effort - they were fantastic!

If someone would like to take up the reins in organizing our participation in this years event, PLEASE do so. Fresh ideas are always good. I will help out at the table, of course :)

A few suggestions though, if I may:
    *seeing as this will be a TWO day affair, finding people to man the booth continuously will be extremely difficult (and not entirely fair). I'd say a couple people on the table, for an hour at a time. That way no one feels chained to the booth.
    *it's unfair for anyone to miss out on a scheduled event (ie. a celebrity panel) so if there is absolutely no one to man the booth, then so be it. Pamphlets and the like would be sufficient.
    *DON'T leave PERSONAL items that could be taken (backpacks, art, or collectibles) unsupervised at the table.
    *NO FOOD behind the table area. If you want to eat, go to the food court area. It looked very unprofessional to have folks eating back there - and some people just dumped their garbage in other folk's bags. It was rude and disgusting.

I'm working on a new costume for the event - and am really looking forward wearing it!

4. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Sorry if I offended Yrol, by and large I think the booth did a lot of good networking the Fan Force with the community at the Expo. I think the plan was sound, but I think people wanted to experience more of the convention than staying strictly at the booth, which led to some confusion and a bit of drift.

People left food in other people's bags? Eww. . .

Stacy

5. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I agree it was disorganized because people got very distracted and left the booth or stood there talking to noone...gazing about or chatting to friends. I am hoping people will take this booth seriously this year as this booth represents our fan force and look more professional. I think two-three people max at the table as it is intimidating to those who would like to approach the group. As well less people equals less congestion at the table and frees more people up to do other shifts.

[face_dancing] I am hoping for the best this year! Smaller shifts with people actually showing up for their shifts.

Yrol.. I can help with the table again! I can brings the scrap book and get more coloring sheets done. Is the banner we made still OK to use?

6. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Can't remember where the old banner is (Kent - do you still have it??) But Kent and Rae had a fantastic one made up with our logo on it that we used last year.

7. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    By the Beard of Zeus! No, it's not Will Ferrell, but I needed something mighty to say. Doug Jones is coming to the expo! Woohoo! Abe Sapien himself! Now I wish I had a Faun costume from Pan's Labyrinth...

8. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    Kevin Sorbo has also been added to the guest list.

For artists, I see that Gene Ha is also attending. I loved his work on "Top Ten". This is shaping up to be quite the event.

9. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Hercules is coming to town? Well I'll be! I'm going to have to ask him about the dance number in Meet the Spartans [face_laugh]

10. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Kevin Sorbo will definetely bring in the crowds. A lot of people liked Hercules & Andromada.

11. Jeedai9

Jeedai9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    I wanna go so bad!
    And alas...it is my stag weekend.
    However I will do my best to make it for Sunday!
    If I am not too green behind the gills!

12. Thoneon

Thoneon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2007
    i will help just need to know when we are going to meet

13. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Has anyone contacted Kandrix to confirm that the FanForce has a table this year? Or what he wants from Volunteers? I know Scot has talked to him about 501st stuff, but it would likely be in everyone's best interest for one of the council members to get in touch with him about what he wants from the FF, and what he's putting in.

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    It was discussed at the last meeting, Shawn and Veritate volunteered to contact Kandrix. If current rumours persist though, I don't think we'll be getting a table but might be sharing a change room with the 501st.

15. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Just to clarify; Kandrix asked me if we needed a table about three weeks ago.

I said we did.

Then I haven't heard from him.

I will have to follow up with him on it.

More information about the table will be available by our meeting on Feb. 26.

16. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    I've heard back from Kandrix. He said we'll be getting a table.

Now, that being said, we have to see if we have enough people to man the table. If we can't staff it, we might as well let it go.

We'll talk about it at the meeting tonight. See you all there!

17. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Advance Tickets are on sale now until April 7th checkout the website for all the details.

18. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm going to be there. I sent them a bio this weekend to put on the site.

:D

I am SO EXCITED.

My birthday is on monday the 28th and I plan on going to the Zoo, I might have to drag some of you along if you have the day off.

19. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm glad you are coming out Amy. It is a really great show. With it spread over two day this should be the best one yet.

20. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I love the zoo. I don't mind being dragged along.

21. Thoneon

Thoneon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2007
    the havent bin there in ages dont mind if i go

22. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Sorry, Arty Ewok, but Monday is going to hard to swing for the zoo. Hopefully the weather is nice so that you have a good day though.

Looking foward to meeting you at the Expo!

23. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Thank you :)

It's going to be fun either way. I've been to the Toronto Zoo in the middle of winter during a sleet storm, so I'm pretty sure I can handle the calgary zoo in the spring :D

24. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    All the Battlestar fans get ready as Tricia Helfer was just announced for the show.

25. Jeedai9

Jeedai9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    um...i will be the first to say....yozaa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.