main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Call me crazy but less force/jedi stuff

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe it's a crazy idea but the OT wasn't as heavy with the Jedi/force stuff. You had Luke and his thing but you had a lot of other non Jedi/force stuff going on.

2. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I completely agree. The less jedi, the better. And no sith at all. Any sith makes anakin's sacrifice in ROTJ kind of pointless.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

3. Undreamt

Undreamt Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    You're not crazy.

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree. It would be weird to have a Jedi order like in the prequels at this stage in the SW Universe. I agree with loki41872 in wanting to see Anakin's sacrifice honored.

6. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I totally agree. The PT filled my jedi/sith meter up for a lifetime. I like the "last of its kind" aspect from the OT, the "taboo and almost witch-like" feeling towards Jedi powers. You actually dont see them affecting much of the battles and such within the OT, so it would be crazy for it to be the mainstream again in the ST. I mean, why would Luke have a need to build a Jedi army again if the Sith is finally gone?

If Luke really wants to help everyone, after seeing and hearing about how horrible the Sith/Jedi battles have left many planets, wouldnt it be better for him to just let it die out?

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I love Legacy, but I agree that it made Anakin's work seem less awesome. He's supposed to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force! He does...for like five years or something? And then Palps comes back, the Lost Tribe show up, the One Sith are created and there's like thousands of them...so what did Anakin do? He destroyed the Sith but they came back. So his most lasting contribution is - HE DESTROYED THE REPUBLIC. The Jedi came back. The Republic didn't. This is a serious problem.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We've done the big Force balancing act/ancient prophecy thing already. Moving on to more practical matters would be perfectly sensible.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Especially since there are stories to be told about perfectly normal people living out their lives in this huge and fascinating galaxy who never get involved with a Force organization. They can be interesting too.

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The star wars galaxy is bigger than the Jedi. Give me a story about the Hutts & their crime enterprise.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Or Black Sun.

wookieepotpie likes this.
  12. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope the first movie is based more on the Rebellion cleaning up the Imperial remnants and rebuilding the Republic. That way we won't have to see much Jedi stuff, and Luke doesn't need to be the star of the movie.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes!! Yes now people are talking my lingo!! I want to see more Boba, Lando,Nute Gunray, Lama Su, Jango, Han, Jabba, Watto, Sebula, Bib Fortuna, type of characters, They don't have to keep it on Tatooine either, but the blackmarket side of Star Wars is better than The Jedi vs Sith stuff.

14. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    We live in the mudane world, Star Wars gives us an escape from reality, part of that escape is the Jedi/Sith/Force element. To minimize that is ridiculous. Not that the other elements are bad or shouldn't be embraced themselves, I just don't see why the Force is so bad or "old hat", it isn't. I would love to see Luke do some crazy things that only a Jedi Master could do and that he couldn't do during the OT due to his skill level at the time.

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't think we should minimize it, just that it does not have to be the focus so much.
    For me personally, the sci-fi part of Star Wars is as escapist as the Force part.

16. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    lol

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I always thought there was a good balance between all of these aspects in both trilogies. For my part, this thread seemed to paint a picture of imbalance in that regard, and I don't see it that way. Non force elements have been a crucial part of the saga to this point and will remain so. This will especially be true beyond the ST, when TPTB get into the wider SW universe. The trilogies have been about the Skywalker family and their impact for good and bad on the galaxy. It just so happens that the Force is a part of the legacy of the family. Simply due to the fact that--as has been mentioned previously--there are so few Jedi from the OT on to the ST, I think people in this thread will get their wish in these upcoming films.

18. BobbySharp

BobbySharp Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm totally with the "no Sith" idea. Some of my Star Wars buddies thought I was nuts for even suggesting this but I think it would be a great idea. Just like a previous poster mentioned, the Sith were dealt with in E6 and while I can certainly see them coming back at some point, it would have to be far into the future. I always saw the Emperor's rise and fall as the last gasp of the Sith for the foreseeable future.

So, what sort of villain are we going to have? Fantastic question. Maybe some sort of charismatic Force-user who, while not a Sith, taps into methods that Luke is not sure the Jedi should be employing. This might create a compelling alternative for the young Jedi that Luke is training. Eh...who knows...

19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Something besides Sith as the main villains would be nice, but who knows what we're going to get.

20. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    The PT had a lot of Jedi because that was something of a Golden Age for the Order.
    Then, during the OT, they were mostly decimated and there are only a few left, both Sith and Jedi.

In my opinion it is impossible to have many Jedi/Sith show up in the ST, as the only ones (from the movie standpoint) remaining are Luke (who is a fully fledged Jedi Knight) and Leia (who has the potential to learn about the Force, but didn't until after Ep6).
    I honestly hope that they won't pull some Jedi/Sith armies out of their read ends just to have action shots of the two armies colliding. Unless Ep7 takes place...100 years after Ep6, which is not what I think they'll do.

The post-ROTJ EU has a lot of good semi-Jedi and non-Jedi characters. Heck, even Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade used blasters every now and then - they don't abuse the lightsabres. It would make sense to have Luke as the only 100% Jedi Knight and perhaps the bad Sith guy of the trilogy the only ones who sleep with lightsabres under their pillow. Everyone else should not. Removing the lightsabres completely, though, will have the same effect as showing them on screen at every opportunity like in the PT.

The OT made a big deal out of wielding a lightsabre and perhaps the lack of bright, shiny swords gave it the darker tone (which was better IMO).
    Now we're going to be introduced to a post-ROTJ era, when lightsabres probably don't grow on trees like in the PT era.

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hey Crazy, while I've no problem with E7 not including the Skywalkers, I'd be most disappointed if there were no Jedi, was no Force.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd be quite alright if they toned back the force use and focused on something else. Or maybe just not have a couple hundred jedi, only a handful tops.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think anyone would want no Jedi. And it would never happen anyway. But I agree that I would prefer no Sith and a broader group of characters. The main character should definitely be a Force user but yeah, I don't want the point of RotJs ending to be messed with

24. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Winning at Podrace gambling? ;)

25. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Keep the Jedi but add another lead characters like bounty hunters etc.
    Let's face it - there is no SW without lightsabers right?
    Disney won't throw this away - they need to sell the product.