main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Call of Duty is "this generation's Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    http://kotaku.com/5592352/activision-says-call-of-duty-is-this-generations-star-wars

That's according to Activision Publishing's CEO Eric Hirshberg. And yes, he's being serious.

"The Call of Duty franchise is a force of nature. I think it is the closest thing this generation has to a Star Wars," he told IGN. "I think it's unique and bigger than any musical act or any movie franchise in that capacity."

Bigger than any movie franchise? How much has Star Wars made?

I also doubt Call of Duty will have any lasting cultural impact once Activision is done with milking it dry.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Extremely exaggerated, I'd say. I wouldn't even call it this generation's Star Wars among just games, though that may just be me.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Call of Duty has nowhere near the amount of impact on Western Culture as Star Wars has.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  5. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah Call of Duty is a flash in the pan compared to something like Halo's influence in terms of video games.

But admittedly, Star Wars' impact can only lessen the more they milk it for all it's worth, which is a lot apparently.

6. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    What an idiot...

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The Call of Duty franchise is a force of nature. I think it is the closest thing this generation has to a Star Wars

Well, I am so glad then I'm technically NOT part of this current generation. I'll take lightsaber-wielding Jedi any day to just another military FPS. What a self-serving idiot.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I guessed I missed the part in Star Wars' production where Fox shadily fired George Lucas over royalty questions.

CoD is a great series, but this guy is kidding himself.

9. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea, I even went through a 2 year call of duty stage (both story mode and multiplayer) when I first got xbox live and was obsessed with it! If it were not for my 360 not replaced yet I probably would have not remembered how awsome star wars was.

But let's face it in the big picture call of duty is nowhere near star wars, heak its not even Halo![face_laugh] (In terms of story.) The worst part about it is this guy is biasly, childishly speaking in terms of CODs overated multiplayer. Some COD players don't even know how awsome mwf's story is, hell who am I kidding some don't know it exists! "Just duh, multiplayer, multiplayer, multiplayer!!!8-} :rolleyes:

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Halo's more of my thing and I've seen it there too. I sincerely get a little sad those rare times when I go into Halo 3 matchmaking, browse career records and see many a guy that has never bothered to play the story campaigns or care about them, unless it's only for those achievements to unlock Recon and whatnot.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    CoD doesn't even come close to the impact that Halo has/had, and this is coming from someone who thinks Halo was the worst thing to ever happen to the FPS genre. Halo is big, CoD only creates big internet arguments...

I wish Half-Life was this generation's Star Wars, especially since it looks like we'll have to wait 16 years for a sequel :p

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

13. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    I certainly hope he was being tongue-in-cheek. If not, he just made the biggest joke out of himself.

Then again, what else is new? The CoD franchise itself is now a joke thanks to MW2.

14. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    It's like a message board "reassurance topic" escaped into the outside world and got picked up by the media and reported as news.

15. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Of course this is going to get all sorts of hate among a StarWars community. :p

It's like The Beatles and their "bigger than Jesus" moment.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really don't think it has anything to do with fanboyism. The comparison just doesn't make sense.

17. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Prequel Star Wars or OT Star Wars? There is a very big difference.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I wish that Mass Effect was this generation's Star Wars. It's awesome enough to be.

Warcraft, Starcraft, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, MGS, Resident Evil, all have valid claims at being at least as important in the realm of video games IMO.

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    yeah, at the very least grand theft auto could make that claim since it helped to pioneer an entire style of video games, and while doing so made it (at least for a while) to where that you can't make an open world sandbox game without someone calling it a gta clone.

call of duty is just an above average fps, which introduced no real new gameplay mechanics or story. its greatest success is that the online play is balanced, easy to master, and played by like a billion people.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Ummmm I would say if there *had* to be a videogame comparable to Star Wars's epicness, it would probably be WoW. Only because it checks off both the sci-fi/fantasy + TOO MANY PEOPLE INTO IT/OBSESSION requirements. And even then...just comparing a videogame to an entire world/concept that transcends into films/games/household decorations/sex toys/ kids merchandise/ music/ etc is just...not really at all similar.

21. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Uhh.....What? Where do I get some of these?

Also CoD post Modern Warfare 1 has been major suckage IMO.

22. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Off the top of my head the closest thing video games to this stuff would be pokemon (at least in England), although it didn't resonate so much with the adults of the time (and hence no sex toys*). But, I guess pokemon was 10 years ago, so I don't think its this generation (makes me feel so old).

(*I refuse to search for any possibility of a counter example, although what happens when the majority of the fanbase has grown up...)

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Took the words right out of my mouth. :eek:

I wish Half-Life was this generation's Star Wars, especially since it looks like we'll have to wait 16 years for a sequel

Gods, I truly hope not. Just hang in there, Half Life 3 will come out...eventually.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Just hold out. Apparently in the new Alien Swarm game on Steam, some modders found code in the files which pertains to something called an "Aperture Nest".

Valve is dropping hints, it is still in the works.

25. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    I agree! This guy is spot on!

(waits for the deluge...) :D

Seriously though, he compares a series that redefined summer blockbuster cinema with a series with fifteen games focused on the same conflict, with a few - and of those, very recent - variations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.