main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Call of Duty is "this generation's Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This guys an idiot, however it wouldn't be a stretch to say something like Halo is this gen's Star Wars, which has a huge fanbase AND a deep mythology to it, and I doubt theres anyone who doesn't know what Halo is.

2. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah, while some would dispute Halo's claim, it AT LEAST is more likely than Call of Duty.

3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    All 3 have pretty huge followings really. :-B

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty_Wiki

And of course, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

4. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    You sure? I'm pretty sure most non-gamers would be completely clueless.

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Call of Duty did get a name drop in The A-Team movie, and most of the audience I was in reacted to it. I've never heard Halo referenced outside of the geek/gaming culture.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That's pretty meaningless, IMO. I recall one movie that showed a guy playing the first Halo, one scene in Die Hard 4 that showed this hacker playing Gears of War just before he was blown up. I'm sure some geeky scriptwriter will eventually throw in a Halo reference in a future flick.

7. Hydracu

Hydracu Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2005
    Personally, the only thing I can think of that even comes remotely close to The impact of star wars Is The Mass effect Series. It's the single closets thing my generation has to the Star Wars fever, and it will never be as Massive in size. I love both series' with Equal respect. COD is just a pain the arse. The spam, the crap, everything you have to deal with and the fact you have to cheat just to be remotley good makes COD look like bantha fodder

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I would've thought Harry Potter was really the only thing that came close to Star Wars as a cultural phenomen recently. Maybe Twilight. Ugh.

9. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    It all boils down to personal preference. Period.

10. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    I really think Harry Potter is the closest thing to come to the same type of significance that Star Wars brought about. The main thing would have to be the multi-generational fan-bases and a story that resonates with those same fan-bases.

Harry Potter's not Twilight, whose fan-base is limited to a certain group (mainly women and young girls).

That and add the cultural significance of Harry Potter getting kids to start reading books again, and showing other Young Adult Authors that kids do have an attention span long enough to pay attention for the whole book.

I don't think any game will ever have the same impact that Star Wars had, I know that a single game hasn't achieved that yet. It needs to be able to be accessed by everyone (Mass Effect's only on xbox) and it needs to touch an audience of all ages.

11. The_Jedihunter

The_Jedihunter Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2009
    [face_shame_on_you] He just disgraced the Star Wars name.

12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    This is a Star Wars site so the die hard fans are going to be thurderously vain-bursting angery by comparing anything to Star Wars.:rolleyes: I mean, I love Star Wars but lighten up guys.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It would be if it didn't have such a compressed timeline. I'm still at a loss as to why they moved it from early 23rd to late 22nd Century.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Halo_3_Nasdaq.jpg]

Call of Duty certainly wasn't seen as popular enough to recieve bloody great big billboards like this though. ;)

I don't know about the USA but Halo 3's release even made it's way into to news in media coverage that, for once, didn't paint games as Satan's play things.

16. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Actually now if I think about it, and the information I have on South Korea is correct, Starcraft there would probably be even bigger than Star Wars.

17. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea it may not of spawned a movie but Peter Jackson (I think) directed awsome, eerie, high budget, realistic, commercials about veterens from the human-covenent war seemed so real.

I like C.O.D, but these fan-boys need to stop idolizing it.:rolleyes:

P.S. Search something like: "Halo 3 enemy weapon commercial" on youtube, it should lead you to the other commercials as well.

I dunno, maybe I just like Halo because it combines the best of both worlds of COD, and more importantly Star Wars.

18. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    To me it doesn't matter. I love all of those franchises.

19. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Same here.

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Are you talking about the commercials directed by Neil Blokamp, the man that directed District 9 after the Halo movie tanked? ;) Because they were the best part of what was probably the best advertising campaign I have ever seen! :D

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I know right!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.