main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - November 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I think so in comparison to PSN and PC.

2. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh, Treyarch...

They're why I didn't get CoD3. And I do have WaW, but for being such an old game, it was so poorly coded. My old graphics card handled MW with NO problems. It took MW at the highest settings like a champ. But WaW... Hah. The thing would make my PC temperature spike so bad and it was soooo buggy.

3. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I with on that Riven. So are you giving it sometime before you buy COD3?

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I haven't played the Modern Warfare series (though that might change with MW1 on sale on Steam), but I'm looking at MW3 with the whole Russia-invades-America scenario and I'm thinking, "this is so laughably corny". Well like I said I haven't played the series yet, but considering the huge disparity between the Russian and U.S. armed forces today, the idea that Russia could invade us even 20 years from now is patently ridiculous. There's a reason why America doesn't get invaded, and the answer is the Pacific and Atlantic oceans....getting an invasion fleet across that distance is a military and logistical impossibility. Not to mention that I've already seen this in World in Conflict, but CoD seems like it wants to be taken more seriously.... :rolleyes:

5. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    The invasion starts during MW2 and it's explained how it starts.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah, they somehow get their army, navy, and Air Force to invade the entire East Cost. The explanation is Russia had something that jammed our satellites, because only satellites can detect a massive invasion force, never mind things like radar, sonar, scouting patrols, and every European country the Russians had to stroll by noticing them. And they almost won, the pretty much destroyed every city on the East Cost.

And in Modern Warfare 3 it looks like they've also invaded Germany, France, and possibly Britain, while still invading America. I mean COME ON?! If this was 'Call of Duty: Theoretical War if the Soviet Union Didn't Collapse and Invaded NATO With all the Modern Technology We Have Now' I could buy it. But this is MODERN Warfare. Modern Russia has trouble dealing with the Caucuses.

Heck Homefront was almost more believable with North Korea somehow conquering all of Asia and America.

7. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    It may not be believable, but it is a video game, after all. As long as the story is engaging, I'll take it. I thought MW2 was weak in many areas of its story, but it still worked for me. Fighting a desperate battle in an American suburb was very gripping.

I typically like the infantry battles of CoD better than the SpecOps missions.

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I'll actually agree with you on that. Watching the Russians just blowing up houses and obviously indiscriminately massacring any civilians they found was bad. Watching them do it in a suburb that looks like where I live... well lets just say that at the end when the Americans said they were going to burn Moscow to the ground... I REALLY, REALLY wanted to do that

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Whoever said that video game developers were keen, military tacticians?

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Tactical idiocy by the enemy is fine. Game AI can only go so far. But I expect sound strategy from the enemy. Russia launching WWIII in it's current state is NOT sound, reasonable, or intelligent, strategy.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It's fiction, dude. Maybe the 21st century Russia of the CoD universe is in better economical and military shape than its real world counterpart. Still, it's utterly impossible for a massive air fleet to simply cross one or two oceans unnoticed and drop massive attack troops on the USA, regardless of whatever might've been done to NORAD's groundside and orbital detection systems. It was an implausible scenario with Red Dawn, still is now. One can only suspend disbelief so much.

12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The CoD campaigns aren't so much about making sense as they are providing the player with a few hours of loose Michael Bay style plot and plenty of explosions in order to groom them for the MP.

13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    No known preorder bonus gimiks as of now, as far as I know of.

14. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Can't wait to see what the prestige edition will be. Not that I plan on getting it.

15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah I know it's fiction, but man it's just so bad! I know it's unrealistic to demand realism in all games, but I just found the MW3 scenario to be incredibly facepalm-worthy. Anyway yeah, that's my two cents.

16. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    I haven't bought a CoD game since MW2, and that was a huge mistake. Black Ops was better, but I only rented that and I'm glad I did. I can't get into the same game I've been playing since 2007. Hopefully MW3 proves me wrong; however, from what I've seen so far, it still seems to be more of the same old instead of more new.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Slightly related: Mountain Dew will supposedly bring back their Game Fuel brand to promote Modern Warfare 3 this fall:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Jedi-Anakin-Solo/dew.jpg]

The "citrus cherry" flavor originally released in 2007 to promote Halo 3, and re-released last year to promote World of Warcraft as Horde Red will return, as well an a previously unreleased "tropical" flavor.

I wish they would make the cherry one permanent already. I do love it so.

18. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    Did they fix the taste for the "citrus cherry"? I remember trying to drink the Halo 3 drink and it was awful (or maybe I just like regular Mountain Dew too much).

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/118/1189661p1.html

Since when did EA turn into the Republicans?

20. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Should be intresting I hope that the Americans manage to push the Russians out of the U.S. and then launch a counterattack.

21. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    I did question how Russia was able to launch an invasion from the Atlantic coast. Though it is not an impossibility to get from the Atlantic to Europe afterall I believe in order to help save Europe twice the U.S. had to do it twice in record time too might I add.

22. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It's a work of fiction. :p Reality is secondary to making things look cool and making a good rip-roaring ride for gamers.

Also, invading the US from Russia via the Atlantic is not as difficult as it appears - Arkhangelsk is a pretty major port. Plus, again, work of fiction.

23. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Hell yeah! I loved the Citrus Cherry flavor. I have an unopened case of it at home, for not particular reason.

I pounded those to keep me awake one night/morning driving back from a football game.

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Actually, it is that difficult. The Allies in WWII suffered enormous supply and logistical problems invading Normandy from across the English Channel. Invading across an entire ocean....yeah, that just doesn't happen.

Again, I'm aware that realism takes a backseat to story and gameplay, but I feel like sometimes stuff just gets so unrealistic that suspension of disbelief is broken. Sigh, this is what I get for reading too much military stuff :rolleyes:

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Not to mention the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was so dangerous and difficult for the Japanese fleet to pull off, and that was only an air attack, not a full fledged land, air, naval invasion of the ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD.

Heck look at MacArthur's landing at Inchon, only MacArthur thought that would work.