main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - November 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I, for one, am looking forward to it. MW is a video-game homage to 80s & early 90s action movies; MW1 had a fair number of Aliens references, MW2 was all about Red Dawn, and MW3 is looking to have a fair number of T2 references (the lever-action shotgun in multiplayer, for example). I grew up with these films (not Red Dawn, but who isn't at least passingly familiar with that?) and I love that a game series takes the time to make references to them. Sure, it's not realistic, but jeez, what video game passes that test?

2. The_Jedihunter

The_Jedihunter Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2009
    I loved CoD4's single player campaign. MW2's campaign was decent. Now though, it looks like Infinity Ward will be finishing off Soap and Price, and then will be handing the torch off to a new group of characters. In my opinion Call of Duty should just turn into a complete multiplayer experience as a whole. They need to take away the over the top theatrical campaign and just focus on the multiplayer. Most of the population for CoD buys the game for the multiplayer experience anyways. If they just focused on that aspect of the game it could be so much better.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Finally, someone else who understands what CoD games are made for. All the campaign modes are tacked on. Why else do you think the only DLC for every CoD since at least CoD4 has been map packs (zombie maps included)?

4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
  5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I checked out the avatar stuff on the 360 and I'm not happy. It seems that I can only get the Special British Forces thing if you preorder the game. I'm still not sure I want the game either. I'll probably get the hardened edition, just to get future DLC for free, that'll probably make it worth it. [face_plain]

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Based on the fact that it looks, feels and plays like MW2, but in my opinion doesn't look quite as refined or nice, I'm staying true to my personal vow and I'm not picking it up. At least certainly not on release day.

7. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree, I second this.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Elite seems a bit mixed. It seems that the premium membership will have some epic perks, like all the DLC free for the year, daily competitions, DLC will be delivered earlier than with normal membership, and a few other things. It does cost $50 a year though, which seems a lot, but then all the DLC would cost about $60. I guess I'll see how it works out for the first year and then see from there.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Sure, have fun with your broken game. I decided to play Black Ops again for the first time in 6 months this morning (had to borrow brother's copy to do it) and my God, I think it's actually gotten worse since then.

When it comes to MW3, Robert Bowling and Infinity Ward like to think they're really listening to the community - "We got rid of Commando, Danger Close, and Last Stand!" - but they're still keeping in the just-as-hated crap from MW2 like deathstreaks, noobtubes, and they're bringing back the easymode lock-on launchers to deny good players what they earned by besting the other players in the lobby, and the overpowered Ghost perk from Black Ops . In fact, Assassin (Ghost) is even more OP in MW3 because of all the stuff it protects you from; even the Advanced UAV (MW3 equivalent of Blackbird in Blops). Everyone who went to CoDXP is saying Assassin is going to be the most dominant perk in the game. That's 2 years running that gameplay is slowed down by OP stealth perks. And deathstreaks do not help bad players get better. How does a deathstreak that allows you to drop instakill C4 upon death help bad players? All deathstreaks do is piss off good players. This game is again flawed from the start. That's the only thing they can consistently accomplish.

/rant

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I can see how dropping C4 on death would be great. It wouldn't make me any better but I'd feel less bad about dying a lot if I got to take out someone with me. :p

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Sounds like you're part of the problem then [face_shame_on_you]

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's not my fault I suck and like getting revenge. :_|

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Don't feel bad I'm the same way. I don't have time to devote my life to becoming an uber-player, so when I get continuously owned by uber-players it's always nice to kill them after they've killed me for the 5th time, in a row, in 20 seconds.

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKgDVruHfo

New Single Player Trailer.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I had to wait ages for my copy to arrive, but it was worth it. Not that far into the campaign but I've played some multiplayer and that was great. The Kill Confirmed mode is a lot of fun. :cool:

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I am very pleased that I didn't give in and buy it.

Fortunately I'm subbed to more than enough people on YouTube that I'll know everything there is to know about what the multiplayer is like before long. This way, I don't get it until after all the crap starts to come through and it can be properly evaluated.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That doesn't really make a lot of sense. If I judged the BF3 multiplayer on what I've seen on youtube it's people surviving being run over by a tank, sniped while flying jets, driving jets around like land vehicles, jumping out of one helicopter and landing in another, and all sorts of absurdly crazy things. I very much think it was worth preordering, though the size of the Hardened Edition box is huge and mostly empty, but it does look good so I'll let it slide.

19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm subbed to commentators. Aside from seeing typical gameplay goings-on from commentated matches, I get their opinions on the multiplayer, tips on classes, strategic positions, anything that seems overpowered to them, and a whole host of other things. I dare say I'd know more than most casual players.

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Impressive. I truly admire your sense of economics, IW. [face_plain]

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just finished the campaign on Hardened difficulty, and it was some epic ending! I just loved the whole thing from start to finish. It did take me 7 hours and 10 minutes to complete though, but I'll definitely be replaying it through on easy for the achievements and then again on Veteran difficulty. My favourite weapon attachment has got to be the hybrid sight. Being able to switch between a holographic sight and a zoomed scope just makes things so much easier.

23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I caved. And I got the T shirt.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've been playing a fair bit with you, fanboy, always good tiems. You need a mic though so we can party up and pwn those n00bz as a team.

Also, is it me or do a lot of people not get Kill Confirmed? I keep seeing tags left there uncollected. I have missed tags when I've been killed, but still, if you see tags you should always get them, either to confirm a kill or deny it. What's great though is that I've got my own tags a few times. It's a nice fuzzy feeling knowing that I've denied my own death.

25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I love Kill Confirmed. I like outscoring people that have double the kills as me because I'm running around like a madman getting those tags. When I see them, I must collect them. Reminds me of Crysis 2, even though in Crysis I have never used anything but Retriever since I unlocked it.

But getting those pro perks...man, my KD took such a beating while trying to get Blind Eye Pro. And now that I have it, I'm never shooting anything down again [face_devil] Only perks left now are Recon, Overkill and Marksman (ugh).

Tip for Sitrep Pro: you can destroy your own trophy system for it. Speeds it up so much.