main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Call of Duty

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vezner, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Thanks for the tip Vezner. FarCry does look very good.

3. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I sure hope this game is sweet on the console's.

4. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Am I the only person who didn't love this game? I felt that the SP campaign was too short, and the 'No One Fights Alone' thing didn't seem to hold. During the American campaign, there weren't any problems, but in the British campaign I found myself alone for many of the missions. In Russia, after the first couple of levels, you're on your own. In the levels where you do get friends, they die off too quick to make a difference.

The whole game to me felt like a light-gun arcade game. Walk into a room, duck behind a crate, pop up, empty a clip, go down to reload, pop up, finish the room, move on, rinse and repeat. Many of my friends feel the same about this.

5. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    What you describe sounds a lot like real war. I think that's why I like it so much. ;)

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    sorry Vez, I generally agree with you, but that is no where NEAR real war.

7. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I meant the part about having to duck behind stuff and only peeking out occasionally to take a few shots because otherwise you will get your head blown off. Otherwise, of course, it's no where near real war. However there aren't many games out there that can be considered close to real war. IMO CoD is much closer to reality than something like, oh let's say, Medal of Honor or Battlefield 1942. But of course, IMO, Vietcong is about as close as you can get. Take the swearing out of that game and I would like it a lot more. Of course swearing is a part of war, but I still prefer not to have it. :)

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    >removed and posted via PM to Vez just cause my comments are about real war and not gaming<

9. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't understand how you could dislike this game Ornen. The British campaigns were based on commando missions. You were never really alone (you at least had another guy with you, to my knowledge). Same with the Russian campaign--you always had some guys along with you. You're the first person I've met that felt this way about the game.

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    yea, you had comrades but they didn't do jack. I felt the pom missions were a little stink. I hated having to hold the bridge (mission pegasus i think from memory) esp. on hardest level - man that was difficult.

11. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I hope the Xbox version is alot like the PC version (Graphics, Gameplay, etc.)

Also, cant wait to play this over XBL.

12. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    The AI just wasn't good enough to make a difference. Often, all of my comrades would die before the end of the mission. At Pegasus Bridge, I was left alone (with the exception of my invulnerable leader) to fend off tanks while being shot up by infantry. This would have been okay if there had been men there to cover me so that enemy infantry wouldn't rip me apart while I handled the tanks - but I was left alone against the German onslaught.

The game just felt like it was taken from an arcade. You'd walk along, a bunch of enemies would pop up, you'd shoot them, and then continue on your way. I felt it was very linear, and despite the nice 'feel', I can have much better experiences elsewhere. The entire game, which I bought for $50, is easily comparable to arcade games which only cost $0.50. IMO, that isn't worthy of the countless awards the game has recieved.

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I saw an expansion pack in shops today, been out for a week apparently. (New Zealand).

Anyone got it?

13 more SP missions.

More MP maps, and modes of play. New: Tanks and jeeps in MP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.