main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Calling all AOTC lovers.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Mar 3, 2016.

1. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I am loving all the PT love on this forum right now!

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I've said this before but here's more proof that Obi Wan's journey and Anakin's are similar but all for different reasons.

View of the Tusken camp. Anakin just arrives and sees from a distance. Glowing fire lights from the tents.

[​IMG]

Obi Wan arrives Geonosis and from far can be seen the TF's Starships "encamped". Glowing lights surround the Starships.

[​IMG]

A closer look signifying Anakin analyzing the tents and plans his next move.

[​IMG]

Obi Wan hovers just above the TF starships ; a closer look. Analyzes : "There seems to be an unusual concentration of Federations ships...."

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Absolutely wonderful comparison!

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

is it just me or do GL and Dexter look a like?

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It's been commented upon. [face_mischief]

(From what I know of George's sense of humor, I think he'd take the joke in stride.)

6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    No beard, no hair, not even a similar facial expression. Sorry, can't find anthing similar here. Wishful thinking maybe?
    ="ObiWNanKnowsMe, post: 54359534, member: 1410144"][​IMG]

is it just me or do GL and Dexter look a like?[/quote]

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Now, if we were to combine Dex with his pal Obi-Wan... [face_thinking]

Darthman92 and Mostly Handless like this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Hey, they're pals, but they're not that good pals.

9. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Adventure! You can say these are "twin suns". :cool:

Luke years later stares at the twin suns setting, wishing he could be out free to taste thrills that he can only dream about. But let's not worry about that but go back in time and see his Father, Anakin getting to taste the thrills of Jedi life, in ways Luke could not have imagined and Obi Wan would never tell him! [face_not_talking] :_|:D

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    AOTC and ROTS really are the ultimate highlights of the 1977-2005 saga, but it takes a while for your average fan to reach this conclusion and actually understand why it is the case. Sometimes it helps if you aren't a hardcore fan at all. The prequels in general are the technological and mythological apex of Star Wars. It's a shame they'll never be topped. Think about it, you will never ever see something as elaborate and autistic as the full-length pod racing sequence from TPM. Never. Not gonna happen. Star Wars isn't indie anymore. There is no "Lucasfilm" anymore. But it's ok. Gotta learn to let go and appreciate what I got. Gotta get off the train at some point. Gotta appreciate those moments where the choice has already been made for you. I'm lucky that for a while, I was actually allowed to live in an alternate timeline where movies like Revenge of the Sith were allowed to exist. Uncompromised, untouched. Not just existing as entertainment, but also as fascinating experimentation for the creator's (and optionally the viewers) personal pleasure.

Alienware, xezene, MarcJordan and 7 others like this.
  11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    One of my fav highlights of AOTC is when Obi Wan gets the tour of the Cloning facility. It was done imo almost like "getting to know your clones better after all they'll be serving you and the Republic" :cool: . For example, after Lama Su says "this group was created almost 5 years ago" and Obi Wan immediately recalls "you mentioned growth acceleration". LS excitedly continues "Oh yes!....." . While we see the Boba looking aged clones, learning on the computers (lots going on there btw and I would if had time love to point them out). I especially appreciate the close up with two clones conversing while LS remarks " and now we can do it in half the time" . Both clones mouths moving as they acknowledge each other, timing perfectly with LS! I wonder what they're saying?

And here's most interesting.... We don't hear any sounds except music, with LS and Obi Wan chatting, throughout the tour.

Which is direct opposite of , Obi Wan's sneak tour of the droid factory , where we hear and see machinery and complete with sounds galore, with Obi Wan keeping obviously and intentionally mum. [face_laugh]

Cheers!

MJ

darkspine10, Tonyg and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. Jabba the Hud

Jabba the Hud Jedi Padawan

Feb 10, 2017
    In the first picture overlooking the army, the little details in having the lines of Clones not being perfectly straight make me happy :) little things make it all seem that bit more real (as opposed to simply quickly copy and pasting one line 15 times and being done with it)

13. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    I thought there was always something about this scene. Not only do I really enjoy the "aura" over Obi Wan as he held by a sort of plasma-tic immobilizer. I especially am enraptured by the constant yet intermittent mini lightning flickers as he is held up hovering while it keeps him rotating dead slow .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now as Dooku "interrogates" him and tries to recruit Obi Wan at the same time with the Qui Gon Jinn bait and secrets of Darth Sidious, this thing happens:

"You must Join me Obi Wan and together we will destroy the Sith!"

[​IMG]

But Obi Wan will not have any of it : "I'll never join you Dooku" . Despite Dooku revealing the truth. What if I told you.........Obi Wan then says "no that's not possible....."

[​IMG]

Note that this is already after Dooku does the bait "Don't be to sure....you forget that Qui Gon was once my apprentice, as you were once his" (thus Qui Gon is like a father figure to Obi Wan).

Doesn't this all sound familiar? Wait....I think I know you're thinking but that may not be what I'm getting at.

Yes! Of course we need to have a look at ESB. Where Vader tries to seduce Anakin and tells him the terrible truth.
    --------------------------------------------------

But let me cut to the chase....

Luke : I’ll never join you!

The Vader truth included mentioning......"Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father!"

Yes! OBI WAN. So Obi Wan was also tempted just like Anakin's son was tempted by certain "truths" about their Fathers!

And Luke infact says the same thing about not believing like Obi Wan with "..that's impossible!"

It's an incredible mix of intertwining in the Saga and it is another reason AOTC at least in my opinion, the glue that holds the Saga together. This you can say is a kind of "aura" that Obi Wan brings to the AOTC.

Cheers!

MJ

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    One other cool aspect of that link between AOTC and TESB is that while Vader's revelation to Luke serves as the big turning point of its trilogy, Dooku's revelation to Obi-Wan does not.
    Why? Well, because the trilogy's central protagonist is Anakin and his love story with Padmé is its heart - much like Luke's search for his father is the heart of his trilogy. Just as the truth about Vader changed everything for Luke and affected all of his decisions going forward, so did Padmé's sudden love pledge to Anakin drastically affect their future.

That is, to me, a perfect example of GL's ability to repeat scenarios in a remixed form that gives them new, meaningful, life. AOTC is full of TESB mirrors, but it still has an identity all its own and none of the pieces feel forced to me. They all belong in the story.

15. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    You bet LM! I'd like to add:

Anakin: "He's like Father"

Vader : "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father "
    ------------------------
    Padme : If you plan to protect me..."

Anakin : "I'm doing it for you. To protect you "

MJ

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Anakin really took his first assignment seriously, didn't he?

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

It turns out that, with all the excitement of the Clone War starting, the Jedi Council just up and forgot to debrief him! This all could have been avoided.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    If only every film in the universe were as good as AOTC.

Tonyg and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  19. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016

During my last viewing of Attack of the Clones I realized that there is another scene from the OT that it resembles, and it's a comparison I don't recall seeing around these parts yet...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what I mean...

In both sequences we have an old man (Dooku and Obi-Wan) who is a member of an order of Force users in hiding and hoping to rise again (The Sith and the Jedi) that is trying to convince a younger character (Obi-Wan himself and Luke) to join him. And consider the approach each has in doing this.

Both invoke the memory of their father-figure who was taken away from them by the Sith, and notably each was the older man's one time Jedi apprentice. Whether it be Obi-Wan's former Jedi Master Qui-Gon who was killed by Darth Maul or Luke's father Anakin who was "murdered" by Darth Vader.

*Dooku: "It's a pity that our paths have never crossed before Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon always spoke very highly of you."

*In Obi-Wan's case the two are already having the discussion about him when the scene starts.

At some point in the conversation each claims that they are in need of help in their current ventures...

*Dooku: "I wish he were still alive. I could use his help right now."

*Obi-Wan: "I need your help, Luke. She needs your help. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing."

Each implies if not outright claims that their former apprentice would've joined them on their current endeavor...

*Dooku after Obi-Wan contests the idea says, "Don't be so sure, my young Jedi. You forget that he was once my apprentice, just as you were once his."

*Obi-Wan: "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared that you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did."

Both claim, and its true on some level, that they are revealing the hidden truth to the young man...

*Dooku whilst continuing on from the talk about Qui-Gon says, "He knew all about the corruption in the Senate, but he would have never along with it had he learned the truth as I have."

*Obi-Wan after Luke contests the notion his father was a Jedi says, "That is what your uncle told you. He didn't hold to your father's ideals. He thought that he should've stayed here and not gotten involved."

Both have some words pertaining to the Republic and the Jedi, in both cases each character is convincing the prospective follower of why they need to fight the current system. Though one argues for why the Republic needs to be done away and why the Jedi are impotent to do anything about it the other asserts that both were good things that was wrongfully destroyed...

*Dooku: "What if I told you that the Republic is now under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith?" and "The Dark Side of the Force has clouded their vision my friend." with regards to the Republic and Jedi respectively.

*Obi-Wan says while handing over Anakin's lightsaber, "Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire."

And then each tells the story of a treacherous Sith Lord, each presented as the enemy that they need to help them take on...

*Dooku: "Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious." He continues after an interjection from Obi-Wan, "The Viceroy of the Trade Federation was once in league with this Darth Sidious. But he was betrayed ten years ago by the Dark Lord. He came to me for help, told me everything."

*Obi-Wan: "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force."

And as said at the top, both would make an offer for the younger character to join him...

*Dooku: "You must join me Obi-Wan and together we will destroy the Sith."

*Obi-Wan: "You must learn the ways of the Force if you are to come with me to Alderaan."

Notably though, each is withholding major pieces of information. Namely, the true identities of the Sith. Whether it be Obi-Wan not saying that Vader himself is the man who was once Anakin Skywalker or Dooku not directly incriminating Palpatine let alone himself as such. Obi-Wan and Luke also initially refuse their offers, though as we all know Luke does eventually come around to accept it after his home and family are all destroyed.

As a bonus there is also some similarities between the Dooku/Obi-Wan scene and the sequence where the latter first talks to Luke in ANH. Namely that Obi-Wan and Luke had just been captured by a group of desert inhabitants (The Geonosians and the Tusken Raiders respectively) after each man and his craft were spotted by one of them from atop a cliff.

Dooku claims he can have Obi-Wan released whilst Obi-Wan rescues Luke from the Tusken Raiders. After the initial reassurances on the part of the older men, they ask the younger guy pretty much the same question...

*Dooku: "May I ask why a Jedi Knight is all the way out here on Geonosis?"

*Obi-Wan: "Tell me Luke, what brings you out this far?"

Each answers that they were looking for somebody...

*Obi-Wan: "I've been tracking a bounty hunter called Jango Fett. Do you know him?"

*Luke: "This little droid. I think he's searching for his former master."

And though it would turn out that the were in fact familiar with the characters in question, even if it is a retroactive addition, they both either deny it or play coy as to whether or not they know them.

*Dooku: "There are no bounty hunters here that I'm aware of. The Geonosians don't trust them."

*Obi-Wan: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting."

So yeah, make of all that what you will. lol Some of the parallels that are the most interesting to me are the ones that involve one of the same characters but sees them in the reverse position as this one does. Whether it be due to some kind of influence between the characters or simple irony.

Tonyg, Torib, Qui-Riv-Brid and 5 others like this.
  20. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Brilliant post! Thank you for the enlightenment. I think this so spot on its as if I've found my second lung.

Cheers!

MJ

Cryogenic and Darthman92 like this.
  21. Darthman92

Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the reply and compliment! Always fun to share my and see others' observations. [face_peace]

Cryogenic likes this.
  22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Hah!!!

That was a brilliant breakdown, Darthman92!

Indeed, you are powerful... ;) ^:)^

23. Darthman92

Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the compliment! I think I still have much to learn when it comes to eloquence, and having an eye for typos it would appear, but it's a start. Granted I've been a member for a good while now already, so who knows. Maybe I am a slow learner. :p

MarcJordan and Cryogenic like this.
  24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Reads okay to me. We all make typos and language glitches of one sort or another. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I often fire my posts off fast, running with the assumption my hard drive is about to crash, or there's about to be a power cut or something. Gives things a bit more of an edge. Of course, I do like to use the "edit" button a fair bit, too. :p

I think you just brought some unique insights into the PT fan world. Never seen those scenes linked before. It reinforces an idea subtly articulated by Lucas across the commentary track for AOTC that the 2002 film is actually something of a twisted or orthogonal homage/re-make of his 1977 pop masterpiece. Something about the number 2002 ("ATTACK OF THE CLONES"); and the fact that that year was the 25th anniversary of the original.

Anyway, think of the sports bar with Obi-Wan removing a limb, the homestead and binary sunset on Tatooine that Anakin races against, or Yoda rescuing the Jedi out of nowhere with a last-second save; or (this might be my personal favourite) the trash-compactor-like falling-into (to escape bad guys) and mad, crush-hazard peril of the droid factory (preceded by an aborted "swing" to victory by young male and female "Skywalkers"). All these are very piquant echoes of the original movie. And they're not the only ones.

AOTC and ANH form a sort of cinematic palimpsest. In fact, AOTC seems to have a lot of tendrils, constantly seeking to "attack" or "attach" itself to the other entries of the saga. It is very promiscuous at joining up with the other episodes; even as it depicts a mass "separatist" event. I think it goes back to the pan-up. We're into the hyper-mythical realm of the "text" itself. AOTC is nothing but being inside the "factory" of the gods.

25. Darthman92

Feb 24, 2016
    You see, on longer ones like that I can spend a bit more than an hour trying to put it all together, organize, and refine it. Eventually I just have to bite the bullet and post. And then usually throughout the next hour find more things to edit up to the end. Granted I sometimes wind up doing that with my smaller posts too for whatever reason. :D The reassurance is appreciated. I have a bad habit of self-deprecating too much. Some kind of phobia of coming off as a pompous idiot I guess.

Thanks! If there's anything the Star Wars community doesn't need right now, it's more unoriginality right? ;)

First off, there's that eloquence I was talking about! Damn, I even had to google "palimpsest" to make sure I knew what it meant. :p And, yep. AOTC seems to have some of the most interesting connections, and real significant ones to each OT film. The TESB comparisons get the most talk of course, but you're right in how there's a really good amount of resonance with ANH. I was also blown away when I read Klimo's comparison of the Geonosis section to the opening act of ROTJ down to Anakin wielding a green lightsaber in the big battle sequence. (Not to mention the striking similarities between the death scenes of both Shmi and Anakin in the arms of their sons) It's almost like you can do remixing with prior installments of a series in a subtle and crea...

No, I already cast shade in that direction once in this post. No need to go overboard with it. :D

Sith Lord 2015 and Cryogenic like this.