main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Calling all AOTC lovers.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Mar 3, 2016.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    For all the flak I give AotC, I gotta admit... I have a huge amount of nostalgia for it. It was the first SW movie I seriously began collecting toys and Legos for. I had a majority of my toys from either TPM or AotC as a kid. Most of my figures, lightsabers, and vehicles came from the AotC toyline as a kid, as did many of my Lego sets. I remember I had the Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Dooku electronic lightsaber toys, I had the AT-TE, Geonosis Fighter, Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter Lego sets, the Slave I VS Jedi Starfighter mini Lego set, and I got my first MR lightsaber from the AotC line: Anakin's. So, even though that I pick on the writing, the effects, the dialogue, and the pacing a lot... I still have to remind myself I thought AotC was AWESOME as a kid!

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Always liked the asteroid chase scene. Everything else, not so much.

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It's so rare to find a thread that brings out the positives of AOTC, I really can't miss the opportunity!

Although it's not one of my favourite SW films, I've really enjoyed it. It doesn't really deserve the bad rep it gets (all because of some bad dialogue). Reasons:

• Soundtrack. Say what you will about the romance, Across the Stars is one of the most profound, hauntingly beautiful scores among movie soundtracks, John Williams truly outdid himself. Forbidden love, high stakes, a darkening galaxy, foreshadowing of things to come, a glimmer of hope - that composition has it all. Also, hearing the Imperial March tune for the first time in PT was awesome.
    • Begun, the Clone Wars have. Since ANH, the idea of the Clone Wars was out there, and now we finally get to see it in all its actiony splendor. Having read the Thrawn Trilogy before AOTC, I was really into clones. Connection to Boba Fett did not disappoint.
    • Speaking of Boba - I was never a die hard Fettie. But I found the Jango backstory and involvement with the cloners to be quite interesting.
    • Count Dooku. How does one not like Christopher Lee?! An elderly, cultured Sith was something quite refreshing, different from previous villains and the EU as well. The story we got about the Lost 20 was quite interesting. Also, fencing-like lightsaber pommel + Nick Gillard a-mazing choreography (something that TFA could have used).
    • Obi-Wan / Anakin dynamics. "Why do I feel you're going to be the death of me?" Thematically, those bickerings worked great, especially the lost lightsaber.
    • Padme being a badass who can take care of herself when needed, despite her job, and somewhat priviledged upbringing. That Arena escape scene was great.
    • Naboo - easily the most beautiful planet we've seen onscreen. Sevilla and Lake Como were marvelously used to create a close-to-nature, historic, yet still otherworldly setting. This is something that is seriously missing from TFA.
    • Worldbuilding in general, from Dex's Diner to Geonosis - all planets really had an unique feel and were properly fleshed out. Connection with the Lars family on Tatooine was nicely done.
    • Love story gets a lot of flak. I thought Hayden and Natalie had great on-screen chemistry, it was just that dialogue was awkwardly written.
    • Asteroid chase - I mean those sounds! Hats off, Ben Burtt!
    • Growth of the fandom communities online parallel to AOTC.
    And aside from the story etc, I think the huge part of what made it enjoyable for me was the online community that has developed through it, and watching LFL's Webisodes about the filming etc. 2001, 2002 were a time when forums were blooming: still somewhat new, but accessible to more and more people. Lucas was able to treat us to bits and pieces of the filming, feeding the hype. Following the AOTC development got 14-year-old-moi to TFN and fandom in general.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Count me as someone who enjoys the asteroid chase sequence as well. I remember how amazing that was in the theatre with the seismic charges.

Sith_Smuggler and QueenSabe7 like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I love that Clones is a film of so many moods, so many differing internal and external landscapes that all intertwine in a symphonic manner. There's a sense of almost mundane day to day galactic life (both of the city and frontier variety). There's the beauty and peaceful order of green fields and regal architecture. The grimy chaos of war and sheer pain of personal nightmare becoming reality. For me no other Star Wars film evokes such an expansive range of emotions. It almost feels like a saga within a saga, and as such it's no wonder that since its release I've found myself re-watching AOTC more so than any other episode.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    AOTC is the most hit and miss prequel, but it has (IMO) probably the most technically well structured last 45 minutes outside of ANH. Great concepts, designs, costumes. Dooku and Jango are great additions to Star Wars lore, Geonosis and Kaminio are interesting new environments, clunky dialogue, some dubious romance, but all in all, a Star Wars film that is immersive and feels like Star Wars to me...

7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

It's the most Ambiguous SW film ever to date. I think Ingram_I post put it best. I need to find it though...

EDIT: Here it is.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...n-the-prequel-trilogy.50037391/#post-53111725

Sith_Smuggler and Tonyg like this.
  8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    This amusing Lucas quote actually sums AOTC up in an hilariously witty fashion:

"Children are the key to life, and the key to joy, and the key to happiness, and for teenagers, a key to a nervous breakdown."

9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm not very good at coming up with lists about how I like movies but I will say that one reason I enjoy AOTC is because it feels very mysterious, or at least the detective Obi-Wan part of the movie. I like how it keeps you guessing, waiting for what's going to happen next.

On the other hand, you have the Anakin side of the story which is very emotional, yet easy to connect with. You can understand his conflict on both Naboo with Padmé (or at least, I can) and his conflict on Tatooine with his mother. Shmi's death is, in my opinion, one of the most emotional and wonderfully done scenes in the series. Other than Anakin, Padmé, and Obi-Wan, we got to see some other interesting characters as well, particularly Yoda, Mace, and Dooku.

In the end, I really think it's the characters and their emotional (used that word 3 times already, but I feel it's called for) and maybe not-so-emotional struggles that make this movie what it is. Replace Anakin with someone else or replace Obi-Wan with someone else and I think the movie would be worse off for it.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Nicely said! I agree about the emotion. For me there's a unique sense of intimacy throughout Clones. Even despite all the pulp action and courtly, mannered speech, Clones more than any other Star Wars film gives me the sense of frank reality, of characters not just playing their preordained space opera roles, but also simply existing in their day to day world. I actually think it's the most grounded of the series despite the many ways it also feels a bit unreal and dreamlike.

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    That's a very good point. It's funny how despite some of the over-the-top dialogue, AOTC was actually able to deliver another side of the GFFA, starting from the initial sequence on Coruscant (night club, traffic, Dex), to the pristine Naboo.

12. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    The thing about AOTC is that it has about 4 different genres in one movie. It is a sci fi thriller, then it's a romance, then it's a film noir detective movie, now wait, it's a western! There are a few other genres in there most likely, but it really does live up to that Flash Gordon serial that George Lucas really wanted for it. There's also more to this movie each time you watch, which is really interesting. You can also slice it and dice it, play around with it. It's really versatile.

Which I suppose might be what makes it so polarizing, but is also the reason it really grows on you in ways other movies don't.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

It's strange isn't it? In what mind, would you mix genres of film into one movie?

Only Lucas apparently[face_laugh]

Talos of Atmora, Cryogenic and Sepra like this.
  14. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Yeah, I think there are some great movies that mix genres. Romance is one genre you see mixed in with things, for example. But not in this way, and not signaled so abruptly. It's almost like you are watching a television show in one movie. Or multiple television shows, really.

15. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Oooh, I love this thread! I was stunning the first time I watched Attack of the Clones and I'm glad many people like it! I loved the discussions about the Palpatine's plans too, it's very interesting thread and very difficult task to unravel that mysteries.

What do I love about Attack of the Clones? Many things! Where can I begin by? I can only tell I didn't know the originals movies in their day. I knew the world of Star Wars with The Phantom Menace. I loved it (yes, truly, I like the precuels and I admire what Lucas did it with them in many ways). Then, I ran to watch the original trilogy and I loved too. But I will always remember the day I went to watch Attack of the Clones. It was a very special day. I can say Clones was the movie that really hook me to the saga in a deep level. When the movie began I felt many things I can't explain. It was the mysterious atmosphere (the beginning with the clouds and the ships) and the strong start of the movie with the explosion of the ship. I loved the music because brought some mysterious air to the ambiance of the film. The digital Yoda amazed me, I couldn't believe the level of quality Lucas and his team had reached.

I like the classic stories of love, I don't like the moderns too much. Then I really liked the love story, the slow pace, the forbidden love, the insecurities, the respect between Anakin and Padme... I mean, it's not like the romantic comedies of nowadays with sex-jokes and everything... It's something like the old times, like the classic love stories in old books or movies. The dialogues, the beautiful and astonishing landscapes, the dresses... Everything is very romantic in the most classic sense of the word. (Oh, dear, I beg your pardon if my English has some errors, I'm not native speaker, you know, I'm from a far far away galaxy XD... Really!). I think this aspect is different from others movies at the time, and I loved it.

The use of the colors in the movie is superb, George Lucas used each color with a meaning. Even the planets and their colors have a meaning. I love the mystery of this film, the investigations of Obi-Wan and the sensation of to be in the middle of a conspiracy. I would like to see more mysteries like this in the future of the saga, I love the feeling of this movie. Some users here have commented it seems behind the movie someone is moving the strings all the time. And yes, we know now that Sidious is behind the plot, but there is something more. It's a feeling of danger, a true sensation of insecurity and mystery that surrounds the movie during the minutes. I can't explain it, but I agree with that users, there is a feel of something big and dark behind the movie and you can almost touch the tension and the danger every scene. Attack of the Clones is a dark movie I think, and I remember I went out of the cinema with a sad feeling about Anakin. I was thinking about that movie many days after I watched it, because I was profoundly marked by it.

I love the latest scenes of Geonosis too. An epic moment with dozens of Jedi Knights fighting against the robots. And the duel was brilliant, when I saw Yoda catching his lightsaber with the Force I was amazed. And I always liked the part when Anakin and Dooku are among the shadows and the lights (blue and red). I love the sense of humor in this film too. I know, it's very subtle and maybe there isn't many jokes, but I love many Obi Wan's phrases and the funny moments with C3PO and R2D2 (they remind me certain moments of the original trilogy, when these two droids were always getting into problems). I always love this movie. It's difficult to me to say if I like more Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith from the precuels era. But I have no doubt Attack of the Clones has many things are worth it. May the Force be with you, my friends!

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread, it's become one of my favorite threads to create.

For awhile I didn't really know if I liked it or not, which you can tell my past older posts. Now I've grown to like ATOC if for nothing else due for it being the oddest star wars film. The mix of genres did give the a film unique feel, you've got romance, mystery, fantasy and good old action in one. Now whether that all comes together well, that's up to you. For the most part I thought the mix of genres worked well, except for the romance imo. I guess I'm fascinated with the film for how out there it is and I love the world building aspect of star wars which this film has in spades. Also I admit I've made it known I'm a big Jango Fett fan as it's nice to see a Fett actually put up a fight. In closing I think why I liked the film, despite problems I have with it, is how different it is to the other films. That can either be a bad or good thing depending on your point of view of course.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I love the look of Coruscant during the speeder chase at the beginning.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I love the music in this movie. There's just an amazing sense of mysteriousness and foreboding to it. The music that plays when Obi-Wan arrives at Kamino, and the music playing during the Separatist meeting I love in particular.

Tonyg, lbr789, theMaestro and 2 others like this.
  19. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Me too! I agree 100% with your words. That music enhance the atmosphere in magic ways.

20. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think what I love best about AotC is the way it sets the tone for the rest of the saga. After TPM, there are countless directions in which the saga can go; AotC gently but firmly tells you what is realistic and what not from this point onwards. For me, this is epitomised in the developing relationship between Padmé and Anakin that results in their marriage. In TPM, we see that Anakin admires Padmé as a child, but we have yet to see why Padmé would eventually wish to marry him. In AotC, Padmé's development convinces me that of course it would turn out this way.

Another thing I love about AotC is the many genres it combines. I love, love, love detective!Obi-Wan, even if we all have to admit that he isn't a particularly good detective. :p

Finally, I love the scenes of the Jedi Temple that we see in AotC. We have seen a small part of the Jedi Temple in TPM, but AotC is the film that truly expands on the Jedi Temple and brings out its beauty. I would love to live in or simply visit such a place. [face_love]

21. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Yes! I just listened to Across the Stars again and I think it's probably my favorite piece of music from the prequels. It surprises me that I don't see that theme very high on people's lists.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So I finally watched AOTC sleebook bluray! Wow, lots of changes I didn't know that were made

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I watched AOTC last night. I was in heaven, from the first frame to the last!

[​IMG]

This trio... [face_love]

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I didn't know about this ,
    is there a list of the changes ?

25. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Im not sure if anyone may find this enlightening but the scene that sold AOTC for me is the scene with Anakin and his Mother inside the tent. Why? The whole scene had the flickering light as if GL is homaging black and white '20s flickering. Watch it in black and white. There is more than meets the eye as well and I think it has to do with Anakin's mental state. Next scene is purple tinted. Good (blue) mixed with (bad) Red .

Cheers!

MJ