main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Calling all AOTC lovers.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Mar 3, 2016.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Didn't they already do all 6 in the Shakesperean style?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Oh awesome! That's good to know. They aren't available in audiobook though, which is why I had never seen them. C'mon Random House!

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    I ponder that line too. It's also interesting that a few minutes later, Obi-Wan tells Anakin that what he is doing is suicide. When Anakin's path as the Chosen One ended up being pretty much a suicide mission

jimkenobi, MarcJordan and Cryogenic like this.
  4. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    And back to trees again. My eye keeps getting drawn towards the designs in the walls on Geonosis. It's like trees or sticks marching against each other, attacking each other. Mickey's broom stick men. Bent, almost as if by the will of another.
    [​IMG]
    War is eminent.

It's like the rain on Kamino is the tears of the galaxy saddened by what is happening and what is to come. And also the more appropriate outburst Anakin stifles and buries within himself at the death of his mother - all falling on Obi-Wan's shoulders.

5. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    "It's a pity our paths have never crossed before, Obi-Wan."

{Quantum/MIDI} and HevyDevy like this.
  6. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    The Spanish word Camino means "path or way"
    The Tibetan word Lam also means "path or way".

The Tibetan words "Dalai" & "Lama" mean "ocean" and "guru or he who goeth", respectively.
    Lama shares the same root with Lam.

Lama Su is the Prime Minister of Kamino, the ocean world.

Dalai Lama - Dolly Lamb
    [​IMG]

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I love Episode II, haters gonna hate!!![face_dancing]

got to say Shmi's death is disturbing, still disturbs me every time I think about it. As the child hears his mother's final words she dies without finishing them with her head falling backwards and eyes all open. That's traumatic for everyone and it shows you why Anakin was so desperate to keep Padme alive after the tragedy of what happened to his mother. The desire to not see loved ones perish horrible deaths. A pretty heartfelt/human desire.[face_worried]

even when everyone always criticizes Hayden's acting. I think he did a good job at the awkward cocky ex-slave now Jedi in II and an pretty great performance in III. His best scene was his confession to Padme about killing the sand people, gives me chills every times especially because of the music. It's also the first time Anakin mentions the desire to become the most powerful Jedi ever and gain the ability to keep people from dying. The exact same thing Palps wins him over with in Episode III.

First and only time in the entire of SW that we saw an ARMY of JEDIs all together for a battle. We barely saw anything of that in the Temple Attack in III.

I enjoy the cheesy romance between Anakin and Padme that fits perfectly with the soap opera aspect of the series. It's also realistic especially since Anakin is essentially a monk who is forced to keep himself and his feelings in check (repress). So what people expect him to be some kind of playboy Bond style character that knows exactly what to say and win any girl with his charm. It's even more realistic since most people who try to romance in real life it's a good deal of times, awkward especially if your not used to it.

Speaking of Bond, who can deny the fun of having Kenobi play a Bond (or Detective Kenobi but let's go with Bond) like character in the movie.[face_laugh]:D
    think of it, he starts
    -on a job to protect someone
    -chases the assassin who gets assassinated herself
    -than investigates a clue left behind
    -finds a location based on the clue with the help of a source
    -gets to the location that leads him to the 2nd assassin
    -discovers something and fights the assassin and a fun dual where Jango kicked ass for a non force sensitive and almost killed Kenobi.
    -follows the henchman to the Bond Villain Secret Headquarters
    -like Bond fights villain while in vehicle, also first time in canon we see Kenobi the pilot.
    -like Bond in every movie he gets captured by the Dooku who interrogates him while also telling him key info
    -escapes and kicks ass
    -confronts the villain but instead of winning like Bond he loses

speaking of Dooku played by Christopher Lee who actually played a Bond Villain in "The Man with Golden Gun".:p
    how cool is it to have an actor with such gravitas be in SW? Just the way he delivers his line and the cockiness/smugness that comes from his expressions and how he talks. I loved that he's Qui Gon's master and at how even though he's a Sith you can clearly see that Qui Gon meant a great deal to him more than anyone else. His interest in Kenobi stems from Jinn. While you can clearly see he has contempt for Yoda and the other Jedis.

It's interesting to note that at how many lives the death of Qui Gon Jinn affected
    -Anakin could have turned out differently if he had trained him
    -Kenobi, his death forced him to grow up but he still needed his guidance
    -Dooku, could have turned differently if he had never died
    -Yoda: helped him achieve greater power after death

who can forget everybody's favorite Gungan? seeing Palpatine's machinations and how he easily manipulated a "friend" in Jar Jar to convince the Senate of giving him more powers all while playing both side is pretty Machiavellian.

The whole Seperatist element, it's also pretty real world, where countries or states or a group of people want freedom and want to separate from another another. All because of what they perceive to be injustice or discrimination etc

also always found it funny when I read posts or when people say that in the PT, Anakin's relationship with Palps was never really shown in the movies before III and my only reaction is...:rolleyes: You clearly weren't paying attention

Episode I
    Episode II
    which tells you that during those 10 years, Palps was a mentor. Just look at how Palpatine has been feeding his ego and this stuff has been happening for years and years. Makes perfect sense why Anakin is cocky.[face_devil]
    Anakin being played by Palps is another reason why he isn't like the other Jedi. While the Jedi teach him something Palps is teaching him the opposite, essentially canceling out the what he's been taught.

Who can forget the only movie where Anakin, Padme and Kenobi are on an adventure together on screen even if it was just at the beginning and on Geonosis. It was still a blast seeing all 3 fight in a Colosseum to the death together. While Dooku play acts as "Emperor of Rome".

Finally to close off, just love the banter between Kenobi and Anakin between arriving at Padme's place mentioning
    -Anakin's dreams about his mother
    -talking about the corruption of politics and how Politicans can't be trusted and Anakin is quick to defend Palps even when Kenobi hints that Palps is most likely also corrupt
    -my favorite one is

between Kenobi sensing more to Anakin's feelings and a sense of Adventure between the 2 that we have yet to see in canon (I'm still waiting for this story to be told.[face_waiting])

-than all the banter during the chase and jokes about Kenobi's death and hating to fly, "This weapon is your life."
    -and their interactions on Geonosis "Good Job" looks at chains.[face_laugh]

maybe I'm forgetting something but that's it for now.[face_peace]

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Reposting from the other thread (Pro-Prequel Articles):

ATTACK OF THE CLONES!

"Always two there are..."

I just discovered there's a new essay at Bright Lights on AOTC. And it's a doozy!

If the original focuses largely on symbolism and political themes:

(November 2002 essay by David Begor)

http://brightlightsfilm.com/defense-clones-lucass-latest-cheap-thrills-sophisticated-filmmaking/

Then the new one celebrates Lucas' embrace of digital technology and his love of the possibilities of cinema and his deep-dyed experimental streak:

(November 2016 essay by Mike Thorn)

http://brightlightsfilm.com/george-...rism-star-wars-episode-ii-attack-clones-2002/

Great that there now exists a second essay on that site to go with the first. Two essayists that actually treat Lucas as a true auteur and find AOTC a resonant, resplendent diamond of a movie.

Mike Thorn is even bold enough to end his love letter to AOTC and George Lucas with the following:

In my above-mentioned review for Revenge of the Sith, I describe that film as Lucas’s greatest artistic achievement. In reality, I see all four of his Star Wars installments as parts of a single, totalized expression, carried through to slightly less brilliant effect in The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980) and Return of the Jedi (Richard Marquand, 1983). It’s difficult to think of another film of this scale with so much love for its medium, for the profoundly unique potential that it holds. Since its release, nearly fifteen years ago, nothing in cinema has changed everything quite so boldly.

Read it and enjoy!

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It's nice to see this thread is doing well, I'm proud I've made a sanctuary of some sorts for ATOC fans to discuss the film. And yes I do see the irony in the fact that someone like me who has made it known where ATOC lands on my star wars film list and still make a thread like this.

10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001

This scene is soooo good. My favorite of the whole trilogy.

xezene, TX-20, jimkenobi and 2 others like this.
  11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Well, yeah, but 1 movie has to be at the bottom of the list, and that doesn't mean we don't like it and don't find some redeeming qualities in it.

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    AOTC is Star Wars set to "hazy".

13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Saw the movie this afternoon.

It truly is a SW masterpiece. The visuals are perfect (Coruscant night chase, Kamino and the clone factory and Obi-Wan's fight with Jango, yin-yang, the arrival on Tatooine, Watto's reaction to Anakin, Anakin's search for his mother, the clone army on Coruscant), despite what many people think, Anakin and Obi.Wan are friends, I really, really liked the pace - there's enough place for the characters to develop, to breathe and for the story to prepare for what's coming next. Yes, I had in mind TFA because it's the newest SW movie and to compare how Lucas made, well... better movies. JW's soundtrack is amazing, and I noticed hints of something what later became Kylo Ren's theme. Dark Deeds and Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle, to be precise.

It's hard to conceive that beneath all that visual and sound splendor lies a (rather) simple family story, and how Anakin leaves his mother in this movie and connects with Padme, and how he progresses from his AOTC experiences to the dark side in ROTS. TPM built a strong foundations for the PT, but AOTC did an even better job just for ROTS.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Yeah, well, I tend to take the same view Lucas does, personally. It's all one movie, and I may like some parts slightly more or less than others, but at the end of the day I love it all.

15. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    MarcJordan likes this.
  16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I think the setting sunlight and the shadows tell more than the action seems to convey. And....looking at the shadow on the homestead "igloo", Anakin and Padme must have hugged longer! :D

MJ

Tonyg likes this.
  17. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I love this thread. :)

But there's always so much talk about the glorious visuals of Episode II, and rightfully so, but I'd like to add to this thread by saying that Episode II contains what is probably my favorite sounding sequence from any film I've ever seen.

I'm talking of course about the asteroid chase sequence. It has pretty much everything I look for in a reference audio scene. It starts out slow and with no score. Then there's the "audio black hole" right before we get one of the best sounds in the form of bass thundering explosions of the seismic charges. And then there's the brilliant surround mix, especially when Jango starts to chase Obi-Wan and blasts him with everything he's got.

The sound mix is amazing as it is, but this scene stands out for me.

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Attack of the Clones is probably the Star Wars film with the best standout sound moments.

You have the Coruscant chase, with the various distinct speeder sound effects (especially Zam's speeder: Woo-woo!). Then there's the tense scene in the club, where the sounds of the crowd and tvs get ever louder until the climax.

On Geonosis, there's the aforementioned asteroid scene, along with the Arena fight, where almost every move made by the animals is foley. They all have very distinct roars, especially the Acklay's high pitched screech.

There's also the clicking speech that Poggle makes, and the way the Geonosians click and writhe in their recesses before the droid factory scene.

19. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah, I'd probably agree with this. They really knocked it out of the park even for Star Wars standards.

And while we're on the subject, the following short documentary about the sound of Episode II is pretty good.

rpeugh and MarcJordan like this.
  20. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    I was just marveling at the sound of the Geonosian's guns.

darkspine10 likes this.
  21. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014

"An interesting piece of art...which used to be sound" ROTFL! [face_laugh]That is too good to let it pass. :cool:

Cheers!

MJ

Alienware likes this.
  22. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Thank you Alienware. I shouldnt have gotten rid of my Star Wars dvds. Anyone here think JJ Abrams was that intimately involved in the sound design like Lucas was in that clip?

23. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    We can only guess. The sound quality definitely doesn't suffer in any case because TFA still had Ben Burtt as a sound designed and Gary Rydstrom as the re-recording mixer.

But Episode II is still the best sounding SW movie in my opinion. TFA is solid across the board, but there are almost no standout scenes that would really test a sound system. The only scene that really comes to mind is Kylo's Force interrogation of Poe where we get extremely low frequency bass. All the dogfighting sequences have some good surround sound elements, but it's all very discrete.

24. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    You know, I've always been very gung-ho about TPM and ROTS' visuals because those are the films with the most nostalgia factor for me but I'm doing a Star Wars marathon right now and I have to say... my god this film is gorgeous!

Some really underrated shots for me include the sunlight on Coruscant when Anakin & Padmé depart to Naboo and the night-time on Geonosis. And I know some have been critical of how the blu-ray sort of intensifies the CGI but the sheer abundance of powerful colors makes it such a worthy experience. There's enough material for beautiful desktop wallpapers in this film to last a lifetime.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Great picks. I'd add the shot on Naboo when Padme "interrupts" Anakin's morning meditation. So gorgeous.