main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calling All Greensboro Fans!

Discussion in 'Archive: Winston-Salem, NC' started by Number2, Jan 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number2

Number2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2002
    Hello Greensboro Fans!
    If you can, please post a response and we will get the web masters to add an entry for Greensboro!

In the meantime, does anyone have any information about which theatres will be featuring Episode 2?

For Episode 1, I arranged camping permissions and details with the property owners for the Greensboro theatres that were privileged enough to feature it, I would be glad to do that again.

So, please let me hear from you.

Thanks,
    Fred

2. VinkFloyd

VinkFloyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2000
    oops. don't ask.

3. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    Hey bud.
    If it's all the same, I think that Winston-Salem should be eliminated (and yes, I live here) and that Winston, Greensboro, and High Point should simply be The Triad.
    Because, in all honesty, there's only one place worthy of seeing Episode II at in these 3 cities, and that's The Grande.
    I know for myself and people who live in High Point (where I work) that to take a trip to The Grande is the plan for the opening showing(s).
    If Triad isn't an option, I vote for Greensboro to be added, considering that's where I'll be.

4. Number2

Number2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2002
    Naming the area the triad makes sense. Hopefully the webmaster will do that.
    As far as the theatres that will be showing it, The Grande is one of them. I think Starmount owns the property at Friendly Center. After I have contacted the manager at the Grande at Friendly, I will be contacting Starmount for possible 'camping' rules and permissions.
    Carmike and Regal, perhaps others will probably also be showing.
    I assume you heard that the release date has been moved up a day to Thursday instead of Friday. I don't know about any release rules Lucasfilms has like for Episode 1. Anyone heard anything about things like the 'week' rule they had last time?

Anyone heard anything else?

Thanks,
    Fred

5. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    >Naming the area the triad makes sense. Hopefully the webmaster will do that.

I guess we'd need a few votes from people to make that happen. In all honesty, the only reason there is a W-S forum is because of me. I had a W-S website hosted on Countdownalliance which had a forum for it. When TFN and CDA merged to become FanForce, they just took all the same city forums. The Winston Salem Star Wars Fans site isn't even online anymore. It was hosted with CDA and FanForce never offered hosting. So there you go. Anyway, there's no point in having one for Winston-Salem anymore since Winston just blows when compared to Greensboro and since there will be people who live in High Point going to G'sboro to line up for the movie, well everyone around here refers to the area as The Triad anyway. Maybe with enough votes we can get rid of W-S and have a Triad.

>As far as the theatres that will be showing it, The Grande is one of them. I think Starmount owns the property at Friendly Center. After I have contacted the manager at the Grande at Friendly, I will be contacting Starmount for possible 'camping' rules and permissions.

You're the man, sir. I SOOOO didn't want to be involved in contacting management and getting rules and restrictions and etc. this time around. I did it in Winston in '99 and it turned out to be one big headache, mostly due to the fact that management at the Wynnsong were (are?) complete tools.

>Carmike and Regal, perhaps others will probably also be showing.

And we care because? Dude, Grande is where it's AT. No question.

>I assume you heard that the release date has been moved up a day to Thursday instead of Friday.

Hm. You're right about that. I mean, I knew it was the 16th, but I always figured that was a Wednesday like with TPM. That is interesting.

>I don't know about any release rules Lucasfilms has like for Episode 1. Anyone heard anything about things like the 'week' rule they had last time?

What rule is that?

>Anyone heard anything else?

Nada.

Vinnie

6. Number2

Number2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2002
    Last time they had a rule that tickets could not go on sale more than one week before the showing. So people lined up overnight and camped out to get the tickets for the first showing. This was a rule imposed by Lucasfilm. This is where the lines really started as all the seats for the first showing were sold a week in advance. Additionally, the actual release date and time were spelled out by Lucasfilm. This is why most theatres showed it at midnight plus one minute. That way, they complied with the 5/19 release date.
    I don't know of any such things for this showing. At this time, I don't even know if there is enough interest to cause such concerns. I have not had time to contact the manager at the Grande yet.

Yes, Winson-Salem is a little difficult. I am not sure if triad is the correct term.
    It should probably be changed to Greensboro or Greensboro Area. That would be a lot more accurate and might even get a few more people responding.

Just a thought.

Fred

7. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    hey, where did you see TPM? correct me if i'm wrong, but the grande didn't even exist in '99, right?
    i know they were pre-selling LotR tickets. i got tickets for a 9:15 wed. show on tues. night. it's inevitable that there will be pre-sells of episode ii tickets.
    yeah, greensboro area sounds good for a new forum title. triad sounds cooler, though. either way.

vinnie

8. Number2

Number2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2002
    I saw TPM at that theatre over at I40/Wendover, behind Lowes. They had a sneak premier on May 11, one week before the full premier on May 19 and I was able to get a couple of tickets. The Grande did not exist then so the main theatre was the Brassfield. Jay Jacobs was the Theatre Manager and fully cooperated with the long line that waited overnight at his theatre waiting to buy tickets the next morning. We slept overnight and tickets went on sale the next morning. The line started about 7:30 or so and by the time sales were started was about a hundred yards long. Interesting experience, lots of nice people and lots of really, really hardcore fans. It sort of qualifies your level of devotion and there were lots of people there that were absolutely devoted.

Fred

9. Wolvskar

Wolvskar Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    Sounds like everyone from the Triad will be heading to the Grande. Should be an awesome time.

What is involved in getting camping privelages?

10. Winter1138

Winter1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    I am also planning on going to the Grande. Has anyone heard a policy yet on bringing weapons? I have a lightsaber replica I would like to bring if they will allow it.

Also, any info on possible ticket quantity limits? We are trying to figure out how many people we need in line for advance sale tickets.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

11. SWJedi1138

SWJedi1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Both Vink and I lined up at the Wynnsong back in '99 and had a blast. I have since moved to and been living in Greensboro for close to 2 years now. We are both so ready to check out AOTC at The Grande...along with a handful of others that camped out with us back in '99. I am glad to see that there are some others posting that are planning on coming to The Grande as well. We both met a lot of cool people while standing in line, a couple that we still keep in contact with. Hope to meet some more great SW fans this time around. Had a chance to talk to management at The Grande yet?

47 days and counting...
    Let's get this party started!

~eXodus~

12. swag1138

swag1138 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    I camped out with Vink (as I said before) and SWJedi I guess (hey man, you Dave?)

Ill be with them. I suppose this means The Grande.

Hey, we all need to get together, like, at hams or something sometime, go over stuff.

Maybe a little "practice run" to see Spider-Man?

and I vote for Triad, because Triad is Winston-Salem/High Point/Greensboro anyway, and most people in this area (true fans at least...not the plebian geeks who consider themselves star wars fans) will be headed towards The Grande most likely.

And calling it The Triad makes it sound like were some organized crime family, and thats just cool.

BTW: If we get a FanForce chapter, I nominate our name to be The Triad :)

13. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    dude, swag, check the dates on things. it's april now. back in january when i posted that, i was ALL about The Grande. but now, i lean toward Regal.
    as far as getting a chapter, i don't see it as a big deal. if it happens, it happens. if it don't, it don't.

14. Theanah_Nightcomet

Theanah_Nightcomet Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    oh great, i don't remember the ?. lol sorry, New member. Anyways this is really to (most) if not all the other replies. THE GRANDE? are you all insane? I've been there before. It sucked. The screen is much too small, in comparison to the seats, and the service was crap. $3 for a small box of candy? Rip off. Wynnsong will be where I'm going. Sure the seating isn't the best. But that's okay, the screen is big. Oh, and they don't shrink the screen when the movie starts, or play that blasted elevator music before it starts. If you've never been to Wynnsong, I suggest you give it a try. As for camping, I can't help you there. I may be a fan, but I don't have the time to sit for days/hours on end. Besides, when the SE came out, my friend and I were the first in the theaters for all three, and we didn't camp.

15. SWJedi1138

SWJedi1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Ummmm...hmmmm. Are you talking about the same theater? The Grande is the best and second newest theater in the entire triad. It is extremely clean their screens are big and the main screens they show the best movies on are even BIGger. The stadium seating has a better layout and the seats are extremely comfortable. The sound is perfect and clear. Who cares if the candy is $3 a box...it's expensive no matter where you go. Besides, if I want anything to eat, I'll bring my own stuff. The only thing good I can say about the Wynnsong is that, for camping out purposes, it is AWESOME because you have a Waffle House within walking distance and a Super Wal-Mart right next door...other than that...the theater is dirty and all of the screening rooms smell like ass. Anyway, that's my 2 cents... Enjoy the show whereever you may see it.

~eXodus~

16. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    there's an old saying... if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

ok, a few nice things...

wynnsong is the BEST theater in WINSTON-SALEM. but hey, look at the other options... that's not saying much.

ok, that's the only nice thing i can say about the wynnsong...

the only reason i'm going to see AotC at wynnsong is the principal of seeing it 4 times in 3 cities, which'll be cool.

17. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    I always go to the grande if at all possible, I saw EP1 at the midnight showing at the old Janus theater. I look forward to seeing Ep2 at the grande this time around. I am originally from the greensboro area, but i am now in raleigh going to school. so i plan on seeing it here opening night and then at the grande opening weekend, hope to see some of you there!!!

18. Lord_Tgusler

Lord_Tgusler Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    I am confident that Greensboro deserves its own council.

19. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    > I am confident that Greensboro deserves its own council.

I am confident that you are wrong.

20. Ryeguy77

Ryeguy77 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    Wow! You both give such compelling arguments. The tact and flair with which you present the evidence for your respective viewpoint is uncanny. I declare this "point/counter-point" session at a stalemate...unless one of you can come up with a swaying rebuttal.

Vinnie, you should use the same style you incorporated in your article for the Onion when you were using the pseudonym "Larry Groznic". That format seems to serve you best. (Vinnie's Article)

(I can't wait to see how this turns out!!)

21. VinkFloyd

Sep 28, 2000
    this place is just overflowing with irony. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.