main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calling all sports fans! Sign up to tell about your favorite sport!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok, so Strilo and I were talking and we like very different sports. He's a fan of football (non-US) and baseball, while I am a fan of hockey and football (US).

We got to discussing why this was, and I agree with him. The things I like about football and hockey, I don't get in other sports.

For example: I grew up with brothers who played hockey. I went to games every weekend and frequently drove my lil' bro to practice so mom didn't have to. So I spent a good deal of my time watching and understanding the sport. My bros played defense (one goalie, one defenseman) and I became a defensive fan. It transferred into football (and despite my Manning crush and love, I get way more excited about a good hit or defensive play than anything else in football).

The problem is, I don't see these things in baseball or football. Now Strilo has explained a few for baseball and I grew up on the Brewers who pretty much got their butts beat every time we went to a game, so there wasn't a lot of the double plays or exciting diving catches (that I now see as defensive, but before I never got that.)

I sort of see it in basketball, but it doesn't excite me the way it does in hockey or football.

Anyone else like this? Does it all stem from just not knowing enough about the sport?

2. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Does it all stem from just not knowing enough about the sport?

For me, this is the crux of the matter. I adore football (US), basketball, and volleyball, all sports that I grew up playing and watching, but I can't watch football (non-US), baseball, or hockey. The knowledge of the rules and the history of the sport is, I think, the best part of the games. If I have no idea what's going on, then I just don't enjoy myself.

I watch sports to enjoy myself, not to scratch my head. I find that when I watch football (non-US), baseball, and hockey, all I'm doing is scratching my head and trying to figure out what is going on.

Since I learned the rules of football (US), basketball, and volleyball all at a young age I've never had a problem getting into the games, but when I watch the other three sports, I just feel dumb.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    This was actually one of the main reasons I proposed the Arena, to learn more about other sports that people might not have been a fan of before. Once you understand the fundamentals of a sport, it's usually easier to follow, and therefore to appreciate more when you know what's going on.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Exactly. I've thought on many occasions to start a thread for education about a sport.

I'm fairly certain that the reason I don't enjoy soccer is precisely because I don't understand the finer point nuances of what the people who don't have control of hte ball or are near the action of the ball are doing.

5. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    So can we start a higher education of a sport thread then? I would love for someone to outline the rules of football (soccer) for me. I know Strilo has volunteered to watch a baseball game with me and discuss what goes on, but I'm not sure how plausible this is with soccer as much of it isn't shown here?

The thread could take a month and explain a sport and have a discussion about different aspects. Heck, I'd watch a game and write down my questions to post if we had a thread where I thought I'd get serious answers from.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I would love for someone (*cough* horsey *cough* or ASG *cough*) to start an education thread. Take sign-ups for people willing to teach the basics and take questions about individual sports. Do a schedule for when each sport will be up. Maybe we can rotate them around and get a couple of people's insight into a sport. Football, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Boxing, MMA, Tennis, Swimming, NASCAR, etc ...

I'd just hope we'd have enough people interested in teaching a course or two.

7. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I could get down with a thread like that, though I think it should be long term. Like maybe a new sport every 3 to 4 weeks per discussion. I'd suggest single threads, but honestly, they'd sink and the only way those would really work is to maybe make a side forum dedicated for learning about specifics. Since I know that will never happen, it would be nice to have something dedicated.

Also, I'd really like to have at least one thread dedicated to personal health and fitness.

I can dream, can't I? :p

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'd say have 1 thread and just change the title. We can keep track of what sport starts on which page of the thread and add that to the beginning, so one can go back and check.

ASG do you want to start this? I'll volunteer to do any horse sport, though realistically we can wait on those since we've got the Triple crown stuff going on and people are learning there currently.

I would also love a health and fitness thread, but gimme a week to get situated to know where I'm going to be. I can't start any sort of program right now, but I really need to start something once I get settled.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer to have a signup like Inty suggested anyways. People that can actually describe the sport in question passionately. I know that'd be part of what would keep my interest.

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Also, it might be a good idea to use the month of August for Summer Olympic sports and see if we can get someone to talk about gymnastics, track and field events, equestrian, etc.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    exactly what I'm envisioning. A single thread, change the title every 2? 3? 4? weeks when a sport is "done" (for the time being) or a teacher is "done" (for the time being).

I'd also be down with a health and fitness thread. I've actually considered starting something like an "Arena GET FIT!" thread and challenge all of us who are tubby (like me) to lose some of those LBs and be competitive about it and provide just a little bit of accountability.

12. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Anakin_Heartbreaker and myself would give a course on Tennis. :D

I couls also explain Soccer to someone but I think there would be more qualified people for that.

13. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    This is a hot idea and I luff you all.

Ditto. I want to see what makes you folks so crazy about certain sports. :p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    For the most part, not understanding probably does contribute to a lot of people's not liking a sport. Though not always, since I played soccer for years but no longer care for the sport at all.

The thread dedicated to learning sports is a great idea, rotating sports and getting people to sign up for each.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think the perfect example of this is NASCAR. A lot of people just don't get the appeal of it. I've tried to get into it in the past but have never really been able to catch on and I think a lot of it does have to do with me not completely understanding it.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'd love to do something on Australian Rules football, easily the best ball sport in the universe. :p

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    There's no reason we can't start a sign-up list here to what sports we want to/are will to teach on. Then let the thread curator(s) organize them in the fashion they think best for the initial instructions.

18. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I can talk about Nascar and Baseball.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I can do hockey. But I agree that it should be one thread.

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    1. rechedelphar and Anakin_Heartbreaker - Tennis
    2. Marcus - Australian Rules football
    3. RX_Sith - Nascar and Baseball
    4. Boba_Fett_2001 and ImperialDork - Hockey
    5. s65horsey - Any equestrian event (Olympics)

Sports we still need:
    cricket
    football
    football
    gymnastics
    track and field events

You can double up on sports too, so if two people want to do Football or another person wants to help with baseball that's good!

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Rogue...Jedi... you wanna do basketball? [face_mischief]

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    As a pair? Sure, this should be interesting :p I'd suggest wait for basketball until at least midway through the fall, for the record, either a little before the season or as the season starts, or something like that.

And I want to know how basketball got left off horsey's list :p

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Agreed and agreed. I'm more of an NCAA fan, anyway. And horsey? Psssh! You'll pay for this! //shakes fist

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    You know, I sat there staring at my list going "I've forgotten one of the major ones" and for the life of me I couldn't come up with it. [face_blush]

1. rechedelphar and Anakin_Heartbreaker - Tennis
    2. Marcus - Australian Rules football
    3. RX_Sith - Nascar and Baseball
    4. Boba_Fett_2001 and ImperialDork - Hockey
    5. s65horsey - Any equestrian event (Olympics)
    6. R...J and Trika - basketball (NBA and NCAA)
    7. s65horsey and Rohniss - Football (NFL and College) I'd love for someone else to help out with NFL stuff cuz Roh only does College!

Sports we still need:
    cricket
    football
    football
    gymnastics
    track and field events

You can double up on sports too, so if two people want to do Football or another person wants to help with baseball that's good!

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    On that note, if anyone wants to help with the NBA side of basketball, that would also be welcome - Trika and I are both primarily NCAA, though I do follow the NBA decently as well.

Oh, and horsey, you can delete one of the footballs from your needed list (I'm just giving you a hard time, aren't I?) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.