main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Calling Costumed Members - Event this weekend

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    We've been contacted by the Build A Bear store in Cross Iron Mills to help promote the release of the new Star Wars themed Bears. Your help is needed to make this a Paw-some event!

Sunday, Sept. 26th from 12-2 pm
    Cross Iron Mills (Balzac)

Please PM me ASAP if you can make this event.
    Thanks!

2. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Awww, nuts! If I wasn't stuck on these blasted 8am shifts, I could have made it!

Hope we get a decent turn out!

3. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I'm free so I'll be there

4. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Well, there'll be two of us, then ;)

5. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    I really can't abide it when a company, YES a company, whose business it is to make money...try to get us involved in something that is important to them, and yet offer little or nothing in return. As if we should jump at the chance of being able to dress up. Build a bear is not a charity, they are not doing this out of kindness, or to see kids smile. This is to make more money.
    I personally think they should be paying or donating to charity.

How much?

They should pay or donate an amount equal to a day's pay for a costumed character. I figure at least $200 per person. At the end of the day they only want the characters there to make THEM look better. So we are just entertainment. Therefore they should pay for it.

If they are paying then ignore this rant.

Bring back 99

Vinny

6. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    You're certainly free to choose which events you'd like to participate in, Vinny.

The way I see it, they're asking us to help promote Star Wars. Standing there for a few hours to make kids smile, see their eyes light up and talk Star Wars to a younger generation is all part of the fun. To charge for our appearance, to me, would make us entertainers (and they'd expect us to do more than just stand there).
    The company has offered to donate one of the specially themed bears to the group - which Ryan and I glady accepted. We'll be raffling this bear off, with proceeds going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

7. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    I might be able to make it, although it's still iffy. Hopefully I'll be there!

8. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    Yeah, I understand.
    I think I'm a little jaded, because as a performer for many years I found that businesses wanted your services but where never prepared to pay enough.
    I still see it as them getting free 'staff' for the day.
    It is interesting however, that you mention you feel you are 'promoting' Star Wars.
    I suppose I never thought of it purely in that sense. I suppose what you are saying is 'It doesn't matter that some company is getting me for free. If I can introduce some kids to the fun of Star Wars then that is great payment (for us).
    That is certainly food for thought. It's all about the fun after all.
    I'll keep that in mind.
    Hope you all had a good day there anyway.
    Vinny

9. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I understand your feelings, Vinny.

I was the only one who went yesterday, but it was still fun. I was not asked to 'hawk' the merchandise - just to stand by the front entrance, near the display of the SW bears and interact with the kids and adults. The kids were great - in awe of the costume and the light saber. It was most rewarding when little girls came running over, exclaiming, 'It's a girl Jedi! She's so cool!'. That made my time all the more worthwhile :D

FYI - the bears are pretty cute. And the costumes are adorable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.