main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calling Dubya "the worst U.S. president in history" is hyperbole.

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 4' started by Darth Guy, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He's probably the worst president of the post-WW2 era (almost 62 years for you stupid people). At least Nixon had some genuine foreign (opening of China, detente with the USSR) and domestic (EPA) policy achievements. I think the current president's greatest accomplishment has been taking a overly-complex bureaucracy (in the case of "homeland security")... and putting another overly-complex bureaucracy in its place.

Vote Democrat for President: because they're slightly less vile and slimy than their Republican counterparts. Romney is crazy, McCain is out of touch and broke, Giuliani can't shut up about 9-11 ('cause that's all he has), and Fred Thompson is nothing under that appealing Southern accent.

[face_flag]

Oh, and Alberto Gonzalez is a *********** son of a ***** who isn't worth the **** I take after I have the misfortune of eating Taco Bell. I don't really care all that much about the firings of those U.S. attorneys, but he's committed perjury far more often than Clinton got a ******* in the Oval Office.

Sorry for that, folks. It's been a while since I've made a political post and I just couldn't hold back anymore, so it's just burst and sprayed everywhere. What a mess.

2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Buchanan = worst president ever.

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, you have to consider the political climate of the time...

But yeah, he's probably still the worst.

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    FDR is the worst president ever. Bush will ultimately get half a page in a history book.

5. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    If by worst you mean best.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, I've never really gotten why FDR gets so much hate, the country was already broken when he became president.

Though, I'm not a huge history buff, so maybe there's a ton of stuff that I don't know about.

7. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Seems to me he is well liked outside of the US because he wasnt as disgusting as most of your presidents.
    I liked his policies too.

8. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    FDR was a good person with good intentions. That doesn't mean he was a good president. Without teaching history, I'll simply point out that he was the first President that chose to run for a third (and fourth) term, prompting a constitutional amendment. He was also the President who, after being told by the Supreme Court that his programs were unconstitutional, decided to pack the supreme court with people to override those decisions. If you happen to think that his programs were a net gain for the US, then you're not likely to think that he was a bad President. I happen to think his programs were, at best, misguided and conconstitutional.

Also, since FDR, presidents have grabbed increasing amounts of power and shown more and more disdain for the other branches of government. You either believe in our system of government or you don't. I do. The President most directly responsible from a historical perspective (imo) for degrading that system is FDR. To me, that makes him the worst president ever.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think that, in terms of Executive power, that it was less FDR and more World War II that brought about the change. First the President had to manage the largest war effort the United States had undertaken by far, then (with FDR's successors) he had to deal with the newfound world power status and a seemingly-belligerent USSR.

But yeah, his attempt to stack the Supreme Court was inexcusable. However, I think he was a pretty good president overall; while some of the New Deal programs went too far, at least he tried to do something about the Depression when doing nothing (and passing idiotic tariffs) obviously didn't do much.

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    So there was a terrible act against the country and the President lead us to a just war. While the war was raging (and not going well), he started to build the power of the Presidency to advance his own political agenda. When another branch of government opposed him, he either ignored it or outright attacked it to weaken it. When it was evident that the government didn't have enough money to pay for his programs, he just borrowed it from future generations.

Just saying....

11. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm confused, are you talking about Bush now?

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    You see my point. Thank you. That, my dear, was a description of FDR--the pioneer of capricious and hard-headed Commanders in Chief.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think you're forgetting George Washington (yes, him), Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt.

14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Nope. Those guys all respected the other branches of government, Guy. George Washington respected it so much that he, despite being begged to continue as President, started the tradition of only serving two terms--saying that the Presidency is more than the man. A tradition that was upheld, btw, until FDR showed up.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, yes, Washington is a saint because he only served two terms; he only did so because he wanted to get the hell out of there. Every one of my examples expanded Executive power considerably; furthermore, many also far from respected the other branches. Jackson outright ignored the Supreme Court and Lincoln probably would have too had he still been alive when they said suspending habeas corpus was unconstitutional. FDR for the most part restored the Presidency to power built by his notable predecessors (especially his cousin) and squandered by the less-notable do-nothings Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover.

16. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Shipmate, I never said anybody was a saint. And I like your strategy often used by Bush supporters (Well Clinton did it, too!!). The point is that FDR was the worst of the lot, imo. And I explained why. That is all.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I was hoping someone would recognize the irony. :D

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh, I noticed it. I was gonna let it go 'till you pressed. :p

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't see how Clinton relates to a discussion about FDR. :p