main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Callista Fans!!! (v.7 something or other...)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ambassador Cara Jade, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Well, it's been almost a year since we've had one, so I guess I'll try it again.

Let me make something clear: If you don't like Callista, this is not the place for you. Any bashing or flaming and we will alert mods. So please, don't. This is a place for Callistars {however few we may be).

To start things off, I'd like to direct everyone to the fanfic in my profile. Find out what might have been had Callista not left, as well as what happened to Callista to bring her to the Eye of Palpatine. (I know, a total shameless plug, but God knows nothing new is happening in the real books!)

So, come on in, tell us what you think of the much-maligned former Jedi...what do you think she's been up to? Is she still alive, or is it possible she didn't survive the NJO crisis?

And just to revive and old tradition:

L/C forever!

2. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I always preferred Callista in an odd way to the L/M pairing.
    Even if she was "too old" for him!
    It was a shame at the end of COTJ when she didn't have force powers however...
    :(

3. LostJedi26

LostJedi26 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2006
    Woooo! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]
    :)

Finally! I was so sad when I looked for such a place, and found none. This will be good starting ground.
    Cara, good fic. I haven't gone back to read it all yet, but I've read parts of several of the fics you have linked on that one page. I can't wait to finish reading them.

I have pondered something with Callista somehow regaining her abilities. I think she's still alive out there, somewhere. I think that I'll scratch the NJO canon, personally, but there is one thing:
    at the end ot The Unifying Force, where they are talking about how the Yuuzhan Vong were "stripped of the Force", and Zonoma Sekot was responsible for it... I wonder if somehow the planet could help Callista...

Just some wild ponderings from another Calliestar.

I have a little fic I'm working on, and it's very rough right now, mostly because I don't know what plot would make it seem real, but I'm waiting for when I have something more to at to it.

Cara, thanks for setting this community up.

L/C forever!!!

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Can't say I'm a fan, but I thought she was a cool character and don't see why she's bashed so much.

5. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    I always thought that Zonama Sekot might be able to help her, or that she and the Vong were on another plane of the Force entirely, which Callista didn't discover until the Vong crisis.

Pre-NJO, I also pondered the use of the Kaiburr crystal from Splinter in the Mind's Eye.

Glad to see at least a few people here...:D

6. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, but how to get Zonama and Callista in a fic... and how to make it seem real that she gets them back, not too vague or anything unrealistic...

Glad we're here, even if only a few in number.

I was thinking of Callista the whole time they were talking in that book about the YV being stripped of the Force, and Sekot helping them adjust...
    Ponders. Somehow Callista ... *scrambles to write more brainstorm notes for a possible fic*

The problem is that even if she came into a later book, Luke's married... and has a son... hmm. *Ponders some more.*

7. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    LOL, which is why I rewrote everything post-CotJ. ;)

8. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Hmm...
    Yesh. The whole Luke being married WITH a son does put the whole L/C romance thing in a bit of bother, huh?
    I don't think she'll ever get with Luke again because of that- possibly Wes? Hmm... *ponders*

9. Callista Sunrider

Callista Sunrider Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    Wow, I'm so glad to see a Callista fans thread again. Of course, it's been ages since I've been on the forums anyway.

I haven't read any books past The Vision of the Future . The thought of such a thing was so disgusting to me that I never did touch them.

I'll have to check out your fic soon, but I don't have time today because I have my bridal shower! I'm sure the fic is wonderful; whenever I think of L/C I like to write stories in my head about what would have happened if she hadn't lost her powers, or if she hadn't left, etc.

A few of the many things that I love about Callista:
    Her strength of character
    Her compassion
    Her wisdom

Luke & Callista Forever! :)

10. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    My prayers have been answered!

11. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm so happy! Every time it hits me that, yes, there is a Callista fans community up, and yes, there are people who still really like her... [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

And Callista Sunrider! I know we don't know each other at all, but I saw your posts on the locked "what if Callista..." thread. I'm so glad to see you posting again!!! I wish I could have met JediCallie and some of the others...

Wow! Let's see. What I like about Callista.

her wisdom,
    knowledge of the Force
    quiet gentleness
    compassion
    strength of character
    integrity
    standing for what she believes and holds dear

Now for my question. Exactly how tall is she after CotJ, and how exactly do you describe malt-brown hair? I don't have a frame of reference, and I'm dying to know! And what shade of gray are her eyes?

I'll post what I seem to be posting a lot in some other threads. ;) I'm blind, have been since I was a baby, but I could see colors and close-up objects till I was five. Now I just have a lot of light perception, and some lights if they are colored, I can tell. So I have a pretty decent basis for colors, and a photographic memory. What I remember is very clear, so I love, looooooove descriptions!

Enough about me. :)

Luke and Callie forever!!!

12. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    My understanding of malt brown, so far as the books describe it, is a medium, kind of brown sugar color, I'd say. Her eyes are supposedly a rainy or slate gray. As for her hieght, according to the Adventure Journal she's 1.8 meters tall, which is about 5'10".

Sundrider!!! I'm so happy to see you here! Congrats on the wedding. Also nice to see some new faces, Mu, rhi and LJ, welcome!

[:D]

And as for what I love about Callista, I love her intelligence, her compassion, her overall beauty as a person. I love how courageous she is in the face of danger, fear and the loss of those things most precious to her.

13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Children of the Jedi is still easily my favourite post-ROTJ novel. Even though the romance between Luke and Callista was quick, I felt those scenes were written with more emotion than all of the Luke/Mara scenes. I haven't read Darksaber yet, but I cringe at the damage KJA is supposed to have done to Callista.

14. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    I have two different oppinions of Darksaber.

First, it's the second SW book I ever read, following Courtship, and it's the book that made me love Callista. In some ways I like the scenes with Luke and Callista, and I like how he focuses on descriptions of her body language to show how she's holding up.

But I can see how some people think he portrays her as "whiny", even though I do not agree. I think he portrays her as troubled and longing for her abilities, and while that may be part of who she is after losing the Force, I don't think it's fair to say that's all of who she could have been in that book.

In PoT, despite being told to end the thing with Luke and Callie, Barbara Hambly still handled her with dignity. Very few authors could hope to give that same measure of strength and truth to her character.

Overall, Hambly's books are my favorite SW books, though CotJ is my favorite.

I want to rewrite canon after CotJ, or alternatively, after PoT, and have no NJO at all. I still think Luke and Callista should have been together.
    In my heart, they always will be.

Luke and Callie forever!

15. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    In mine as well. As far as I'm concerned, canon is what I wrote for them in my fanfic.

I don't hold Darksaber in the same good light as LJ does, I'm afraid. I blame KJA entirely for the negative view most people hold of Callista, because his books are far easier to read and understand than Hambly's, even if the quality is less than spectacular. I haven't been able to touch one of his books since.

How lame am I? I read NJO years ago, and just finished the Dark Nest trilogy. Every time I read any Star Wars book now, I think of "How would this have been different had Callista been at Luke's side instead of Mara?" Do you guys think that at all?

16. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    All the time. I'm always wondering how it could have been different. But then, I didn't like theh NJO that much at all, and haven't been able to find the DN books yet. Not even sure I want to.

Well, I'm not sure I hold Darksaber in a good light, but for a long time I liked it a lot. Rereading a lot of the books this year has given me a new perspective, and I agree his writing style, while good in parts, definitely lacks in major ways. It's hard for me to strongly dislike the book that really opened me to SW, but I don't like it the way I used to. Hambly definitely takes a deeper look at her characters, and makes them more rounded.

And I have a hard time perceiving Callista how KJA portrayed her. She's stronger than that.

Think I might just reread CotJ...

Aside from Cara Jade's fanfic, what other ways could you guys see Callista getting her Force abilities back? That's been on my mind for about two weeks now and thought I'd post it here.

17. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    JediCallie's theory was that they would return when she concieved a Force-sensitive child. I've also wondered if they might have just "grown back" over time, though that's unlikely. I imagine JC's theory is pretty sound.

18. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm about to read your stuff, Cara. I just finished the Han Solo trilogy! Wow what a lot of background info!

Hmm, I have wondered about Callista having a Force-sensitive child, somehow allowing her to sense more over time. But I've also thougt of Zonama Sekot, and this one is a real puzzler. In TUF, I think, when they are talking about the Vong being stripped of the Force, and Sekot somehow rebuilding the ones who had surrendered... I'd have to read it again to make sure my info is sound... it really made me wonder about Callista.

I know i"ve said that before, but it's worth throwing out here. I really wonder... Oh my, all kinds of weird pictures in my head of Callie being able to sense the Vong.
    Despite how much I don't like them, that could be intriguing... or a bad thing for her.

Well I was going to up this thing, but thought I'd find more to say than just "up". :p

Luke and Callista forever!

19. CallistaRieekan

CallistaRieekan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2000
    Man, it does make me happy to be reminded that there ARE other Callista fans still out there.

I was running the fanlisting for her last year, but then I lost my PHP database password and was unable to update the members list, so it got taken off the approved list and I've yet to re-establish it since switching servers.

As far as the NJO goes, I'm undecided on whether Callista being blind to the Force would help her evade the Vong or make her more likely to be killed by them. And yeah, I've wondered if Zonama Sekot would be able to help her, too. Also, I recall reading a fanfic somewhere (I think on Fanfiction.Net) set during the NJO where Luke left Mara for Callista, and IMHO it was rather believable.

Count me among those who can't bring themselves to read Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. Got as far as Luke musing that Callista had left him because she'd been afraid of his power and I wanted to hire a hit squad to take out Timothy Zahn. Guess I'll have to grimace and bear it eventually, though, because I've been compiling a list of references to Callista in the EU.

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I must have the link to that fanfic! I must!
    If you think VotF and SotP is bad, try look at FH trilogy by Sean Williams and Sean something or another. shudders at Luke's opinion of Mara in that trilogy.

Callista against the Vong would be very good, but she won't be in trouble, remember, she can still use the DARK side. ;)

21. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    No, no dark side for Callie! [face_frustrated] ;)

I want that fic where he leaves Mara! Must read!

I mean that not to bash Mara, but because ... well you guys know where I stand on who Luke needs to be with. :p

It's really strange. I don't like the forced-together Zahn gives Luke and Mara in HoT. I really didn't feel Mara's little show-down of Luke was at all necessary in those books. Yet in some ways I kind of like her by the NJO. Kind of. She's not the imbittered, I'll slap you before I even think about it, she's characterized by in the earlier books... But no matter how much I like her, and in some ways she is a source of intrigue for me, anything where LUke is with Callie, I gotta read. There story is much more believable by far.

I'm working on a fic, but haven't written anything in about two weeks, because I'm at a standstill. I know what I'd like, but I'm having a hard time getting there, and making it believable. I'm hoping I'll get some ideas soon.

I wonder if Barbara Hambly wasn't restricted by Lucasfilm and the canon based on the books now, if she'd have brought Callista back. I'd loooooove to see her tackle that one. It'd be an awesome read I'm sure.

As for the Vong and Callista, it might make her fighting with them easier. She's had all the years between PoT and Vector Prime to learn to live without the Force--or maybe to gain it back in some way, and she might be able to help the Jedi in some way, knowing the old training methods, and not being overwhelmed by their emptiness in the Force.

22. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    MU: Link to the fics in my bio. It should be read in this order:

Mergirl
    Forever Home
    Maternal Instincts
    Shadowlight

The others are unassociated vignettes, aren't part of the rewrite GeithJiseo, myself and the Callistars envisioned.

Enjoy!

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I would write a Callista novel length fanfic, but am currently working on Joiner.
    Joiner is set in the Canon universe, so no Callista there... yet (and she wont' be, but maybe she'll get mentioned by the lost AU characters)...
    The good news is that I'm also writing some vigs set in the Joinerverse, so you'll get to see her there.

Mu

P.S.
    Ambassador: Those stories were great. I felt the HRD's screams vibrate out of the monitor as it get smashed. I almost fell for a droid thanks to your story ;)

24. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Aww...thanks, MU!

25. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    Hi guys! :) Just letting you know I"m home after an amazing weekend with my guide dog's puppy raiser. It was truly a fun weekend and amazing for me in so many ways.
    And my birthday is tomorrow, and I"m glad to be home. Also working on combatting some significant dust allergies.

So I'm home, and was continuing to read CotJ on the way home, and marveling at how amazing Hambly is with her descriptions. I wish I could write like that! She's amazing, and her handle on the characters is phenominal! :)