main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Callista Fans!!! (v.7 something or other...)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ambassador Cara Jade, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jedi2187leia

jedi2187leia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Well, I kinda cheated and went to Wookipedia to read about FotJ:Conviction and found out the fate of Callista.

Now to jump into the Delorian, head back to 1994 and stop the person who decided that Luke and Callie can never be....

:_|

C/L

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was actually going to type up the relevant portions and post them in here, if that is wanted. It is quite touching, and very sad.

Still want it?

3. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    go ahead and put it up here. Grab the kleenex, callistars.

C/L

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004

5. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    :_|

Is it wrong to say that I'm in tears from that? Beautiful...

6. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks for posting that Sinre! I have no positive words to describe it, so I won't say anything more, but it is nice to know what's going on with Callista in the canon without having to read entire books.

And thanks to whoever put up the banner, it looks lovely!

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I thought I'd put it up to go with the post I made. It was supposed to have gone up earlier, as I understand, and it didn't, but it seemed appropriate to go up now.

8. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks for posting the banner, Sinre! Next time, I'll extend it a bit more, but it's wonderful :)

At least we have closure. Not the kind of closure we wanted for the ones we care about, but at least her story in the official EU is now done.

Meantime, I'll go back to my world of AU (Alternate Universe, in which Lucasfilm has no input) in which Callista and Luke are out there, saving the universe in the grand tradition of the Star Wars saga.

Callista Forever!

9. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Yes, I thought it was going to go up a while ago but it never did. But it's so nice to see it up now! Thank you, Sinre, and congrats on the new modship!

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You're all very welcome.

I just wish I could have brought different news for you all. I was similarly hopeful, I can assure you.

11. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Okay, I am now officially convinced that LOTF/FOTJ is an Evangelion ripoff. I was just joking before, but the fact that Abeloth takes the form of whomever you love for you to become one with her clinches it.

Someone who has never been in love gets to see millions of naked albino clone girls.

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, she did absorb Callista. Not quite 'anyone you fall in love with'. :p

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well...

1. Thank you for going to the legit difficult trouble of typing that out, Sinre.

2. What you typed out, for me, has never happened. One more stupid, pointless wasteful death of a character that could've contributed something to the narrative has not yet again occurred, because that's all the profic authors can @*#&&@!((@&#&^&!@! do nowadays.

People wonder why I don't read/buy SW books anymore. I wonder why they wonder.

14. jedi_callie

jedi_callie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2010
    First off, I like to think my imagined goodbye scene between Luke and Callie was better (if I do say so myself :p).

But second, under the circumstances, since these people were clearly so determined to kill her off, I have to say that at least, they did so beautifully and gave her back her goodness and dignity. However, I do wish they had done this long ago--in fact, I wish they had done it before VOTF or something, so that at least, Luke could have had his closure before he married another.

We would have had closure too :(.

15. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    I agree with you on both counts. Time for me to go back to my SW Alternate Universe. Long Live Callista!

16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Hi Callistars,

I just wanted to express my sympathies with you about the recent developlemnts in canon but also joy of the sad beauty in the way it was written! I'm so glad that Callista got her dignity back and was allowed to die as the heroine she was!

PS the features on the banner - anyone knows where does they come from?

17. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I must be missing something, because that did not seem at all beautiful or dignified to me. I had quite the opposite reaction - it completely destroyed what remained of Callista's character, making her a weak perversion of her self. The only saving grace is that it's all too ridiculous to take seriously. But that's just my opinion.

18. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007

She was up against a tremendous and ancient power - during FOTJ it's clearly been pointed out how strong Abeloth is - and still she was able to constantly keep a core of herself intact! That's not a perversion in my optique.

Also, I think it has to be held against the opening words of Outcast (FOTJ 1) where we actually get Callista's POV (though we didn't know it was her when the novel came out) and learn her strength:

The darkness was eternal, all-powerfull, unchangeable.
    She stared into it, unblinking and unafraid. She was determined that it would not claim her. She had resisted it these many years. She would resist it forever, never despairing.
    It was unchangeble, but change would take place. The Force said so.

19. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Hi Kataja!

Callista has always been a strong-willed character (unless she's written by Kevin J Anderson) but if you want a better view of her, read the chapters that involve Luke and her in Children of the Jedi and you'll see why we're so critical of how other authors interpret her character (actually, this applies to most EU characters since VOTF).

As for the banner, Yours Truly assembled it on my Macbook with Pixelmator :)

Callista-Forever!

20. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    But if I understand things correctly, the only reason she encountered Abeloth was she was still obsessed with finding her powers. If she hadn't found her powers after ten years (or two), she seriously needs to get over it and find something useful to do with her life, not do something so desperate that she falls into the clutches of some evil being where she can be used against Luke. And what good is keeping herself intact if she can't actually fight against Abeloth, she can only make things harder for Luke? Maybe it would have been better for her to just let herself be fully absorbed. Sacrifice herself to save Luke the pain - that would have been noble. And how is it beautiful for Luke to be forced to do "an act of brutality, a perversion of the mnemotherapy technique" while his son's fighting for his life a few feet away? I just don't get it - the language in that scene makes it sound like something grotesque and wrong is happening, where are people seeing beauty and dignity? Although I also don't understand why Luke didn't just slice up Abeloth right there, I would think that should have freed Callista just as well.

Anyway, everything about Abeloth and the whole situation is just icky to me. I really wish they's killed off Callista the way they killed off Lusa, just a quick note - by the way, Callista died a while ago - and been done with it.

Edit: Also, Hi, kataja! Welcome to the thread! :) I hope none of that sounds like an attack on you or anyone else, I just really can't stand the direction things have gone since the NJO.

21. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    The guys in the Forcecast had a pod cast a couple of years ago about the state of the EU, and one commentator said that there is so much padding and ridiculous treatment of characters that it's baffling. For this series, they had to dumb Luke down tremendously in order for this massive book series to work.

Since Del Ray took over, my wish from the beginning would have been for them to kill off Luke at the beginning and go from there (why not? LFL and DR have butchered enough as it is).

To me, Callista died when LFL decided to go pair Luke up with 'The Other One' and did it with such a rush job that I had to read Zahn's book several times to make sure I wasn't seeing double.

Like Mara's ending, I'd wish they would have brought back the author who created her to give her the proper ending/closure that she deserves, and not to write Luke like a jerk with a God-complex.

My two cents.

C/L

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am not te fan that you guys are, but i did care about the character, and i am glad she has peace

23. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks JediMatteus. No one likes it when they see a character they grew up with for years picked off or depart in a way that does not do justice to the person.

If Paramount can reboot the Star Trek series, can the same be done for the EU? Time will tell.

C/L

24. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    Thanks for posting the excerpt, it's nice to know the official statement. Besides the actual plot and characters involved, is that really a good example of the quality of writing in these books? Because, and this may just be me being a snot, but that was awfully written. Low grammatical skills, sloppy sentence structure and clearly no effort to seduce the reader. Disappointing on yet another level.

Enough with that. This isn't a thread about a butchered character. This is about Callista, the passionate, loving, laughing, playful and joyous spirit that is often overlooked by the fandom. Maybe with the release of the older novels in e-form we can show more fans the beauty of her character, rather then the misfortune of how she was handled.

And the banner and the board fill me with happiness. Taking screen shots galore!

25. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    I know how you feel, LadyCallie. Aaron A. actually writes much better than this (read his Wraith Squadron book), and LFL has tanked ever since Darksaber.

And I'm glad you liked the banner, and I know Cara Jade's smilin' up there right now, beaming with pride about our little community she helped to keep alive.

Callista?Forever!