main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Callista Fans!!! (v.7 something or other...)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ambassador Cara Jade, Apr 13, 2006.

1. LostJedi26

LostJedi26 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2006
    Without a doubt, Hambly's Han and Leia scenes are the best. And the dialogue actually makes sense.
    Yes her descriptions are what someone called "flowery", but so what? They are poetic, and I wish people actually knew how to describe things to me like that on a daily basis. I can't see the colors, but I want to knwo what they look like, and people just go blank and dont' know how to describe things the way I would love.
    And of course her language is a bit more advanced. It's her writing style. And I unfortunately think people either want way deep reading, or pure action and killing. How about a mix of action and the deep stuff, just like Hambly portrays things? I think that's life, to me, a balance of it all, not just one or the other.
    I find it disturbing that people who hate Callista seem to say the same exact thing over and over, body-snatcher, how she was one-dimentional, weak, Hambly is confusing or boring, etc. Um, no. There is depth to callista that very few characters in SW have ever been given, and Hambly writes Leia as a deep person, as she should be, something I don't see as much in almost all the other books.
    All that to say I agree. CotJ is awesome!
    It's amazing to me how different her writing is in CotJ from PoT. I'm not sure if she was asked to write like that, or if she simply chose to. There are things in both I really like. As sad as I know this book is going to make me, I'm am rereading PoT.
    A pet peave of mine is seeing people talk about Callista with blond hair. Her hair was brown, and only blond in Darksaber, because it hadn't yet turned fully brown.
    *off my soapbox now* :)

2. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    It's been a good long while since I read the SW books. I need to pick them up again...if only to stop after Children of the Jedi and go right into "Forever Home!" :p

3. jedi2187leia

jedi2187leia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Speaking of great Callista stories, Cara, when I click on your profile and it has the link to your Callie fics on FanFiction.net, how do I get to the stories? It used to be that it'd automatically take me there, but not anymore. Do I need to register at that site in order to view your stuff?

btw, lovin' MerGirl!

4. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    :confused:

No, it should just take you to my author's profile, and then you can get to my stories from there...you don't need to resgister.

5. GeithJiseo2

GeithJiseo2 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 21, 2004
    COTJ is actually the only Star Wars book that I own; I got rid of the rest of them after reading The Unifying Force. All I need now is to find a hardcover version of PoT, and I'll be set. :)

And as for Darksaber...fuggetaboutit. [face_talk_hand]

6. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    Ditto. I started to reread it a couple weeks back, and well... Yuck. It made me grimace the whole way through, and I wondered why for six years I've been able to reread it without the dislike I felt this time. I'll still read before CotJ, but after PoT, the only books I consider real SW are the Corellian trilogy. Those were decent. I didn't like black fleet or crystal star. Ugh. the former was just too violent and not really SW, and the latter was just strange. But still... I dont' like the idea of Luke and Callie not being together for so many years. :(

7. GeithJiseo2

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm not a fan of the BFC or Crystal Star either. Luke was wildly out of character in Crystal Star, and Waru gets my vote as the Lamest Villain in Star Wars. And BFC was almost as bad thanks to that lying skank Akanah. Ugh! Give me COTJ or PoT any day.

8. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    When I got done with BFC, I thought "Why didn't they write the ending of this in the first novel? That way, I wouldn't have wasted almost $20 and two months of my life on this garbage."

Another shameless plug (and thanks to everyone that is reading it!), I made another 'cover' for my "Rejuvenation" story. I still think Kate Beckinsale would've been the proper Callista on screen....

[image=http://webpages.charter.net/jedi2187leia/collage.jpg]

9. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    One SW novel I see as 'canon' is 'Splinter of the Minds Eye'. I guess its b/c it was one of the first SW novels I bought, and also I enjoy Alan Dean Foster's descriptiveness of detail when it came to ships, atmosphere of a location, etc... and that helps me out when I write my story.

Here's my list of SW canon fics, or what I see as canon "from a certain point of view" ;)

A New Hope
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    ESB
    Shadows of the Empire
    ROTJ
    Truce @ Bakura
    X-Wing series
    Children of the Jedi
    Planet of Twilight

and anything Cara Jade wrote :) I think Barbara would've enjoyed reading it as much as everyone has.

EDIT: Ha! I saw the 'accidental post' on the Mara forum, Geith! High five!

10. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Aw, thanks, Steve! [face_blush]

My canon list:

Truce at Bakura
    The X-Wing Series
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Thrawn Series
    Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Children of the Jedi

11. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    ack! How could I have forgotten the Thrawn series?!? When that first book came out in '91, I read the whole thing in two days.
    Ah, the birth of the SW renaissance.... Without the novels restarting the SW interest, there would have been no Callista!

12. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    I've never gotten my hands on Splinters of the Mind's Eye. I wonder if it's out on audio or braille or text somewhere... I would love to read it. Foster is pretty good from what I remember, though none of his books are coming to mind at the moment...

My cannon books.

ANH, ESB, Shadows, RotJ, Truce at Bakura, X-Wing, Courtship, Thrawn trilogy, Jedi Academy, CotJ, PoT...

I like the Corellian books, but I don't like that they are about 5 years after PoT. But I do like them. And the rest? after PoT and before Corellia? And after Corellia? I do not like hand of thrawn duology. *grimace* I'll save my criticism for the lit forum, unless you guys want to know. I'm in a critical mood about the books tonight I guess. ;)

Luke and Callista forever!!! regardless of any canon or lack thereof. :)

13. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Foster did ghostwrite the novel adaptation of A New Hope. And Dark Horse did a comic book adaptation of 'Splinter...', and it straightened out some stuff in the revision.

14. GeithJiseo2

Jan 21, 2004
    My list of favorite Star Wars novels (and I guess the ones I would consider 'canon'):

Shadows of the Empire
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Children of the Jedi
    Planet of Twilight
    The New Rebellion
    The Young Jedi Knights Series

Although I'm not a big fan of Timothy Zahn or the Thrawn Trilogy, I do think they're well-written and consider them canon as well.

And awesome fan art, jedi2187leia! I love Kate Beckinsale; she was awesome in the Underworld movies (not to mention smoking hot!). But I agree with Cara that Angelina Jolie would still make the best Callista. And speaking of Mara Jade, I always picture her as Julianne Moore.

No high-fives are necessary. I just did that as a joke; I wasn't trying to start trouble or anything like that. I actually like Mara fans. :)

15. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I like to consider Ooutbound Flight and the Thrawn Trilogy canon...
    With a twist in the Thrawn Trilogy that Thrawn lives and Mara Jade marries Rukh and then dies!

Mwah-ha-ha.

Ahem, but of course it's Callie/Luke all the way.
    Mara Jade is a self righteous mare who needs a lightsaber struck through her.
    Bleugh.

16. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    Mara's not too bad. As a character I find her deep, not in her outward showing of herself, but because she's got layer upon layer of stuff underneath that cool calculated exterior. But yes, Luke needs Callie, and Callie alone, as his wife. ;) No one else.

Welcome to the thread! I've never read that one you mentioned.

17. GeithJiseo2

Jan 21, 2004
    Welcome, rhi-sparks! :)

And about Mara, I don't mind her. I just like Callista more. ;)

18. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    See, I just don't like Mara... She's too overly critical and self assured.

The only thing that irked me in COTF was that Callista seemed to have forgotten a lot of the force... It would have been nicer if she could've demonstrated something.

Outbound Flight you mean?
    READ IT.
    It's by Timothy Zahn (the best SW writer in my opinion!) and focuses on Jorus C'baoth (the original, not clone!) and Thrawn before he could even speak Basic...
    A VERY good read, that shows Thrawn in a sympathetic light!

And sorry for not introducing myself, I reflect now on how rude that must have seemed! But thankyou for the kind words!

:D

19. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Now where's my manners?

Welcome to the Callista Appreciation Team (CAT) lovers!

I always thought that Mara would've ended up with someone that had a similar personality like hers, or someone that can tolerate her, like Lando. I always thought they were made for each other.

Callista did give Leia some pointers near the end of PoT, but it'd be impossible still for her to do anything w/the Force....

L+C!!!!!

20. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    It was very over a year ago when my mum found a bunch of SW books in hardcover at Half Price Books for... half the price! LOL! So I've got Children, Darksaber (which I had already in HB) and Planet, plus Courtship and Crystal Star.

Looking back at it, I accept that Crystal Star is a weak book. The characters are pretty off, but it was the first SW book I ever read, and I can not tell you how much I adore it.... that and there's character torture. Makes my heart squeeeee! [face_devil]

Yes, there is a audio book for Splinter of the Minds Eye.... can't recall who did it though. Try your local library if you can't find it for sale online anymore. That's where I got mine from. I have all the books on tape up to Visions of the Future (gah!), plus the delightful radio dramas (in tape and CD format to boot!).

I support the following titles as canon:

The Crispin Han Solo series (the only SW book other then Children to make me cry!)
    Splinter of the Minds Eye (one of the few SW books I will re-read nowadays)
    Truce at Bakura
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    The Heir to the Empire trilogy (yes I know, I like them, and I like the Mara Jade in that series, even thought she was really cool..... it was the continued garbage that made me change my mind about her; although really, I was very disappointed to loose such a fun character by making her schmoopy. *shakes head* . YAY Callista and Luke!!

Umm where was I?

The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Naturally Children of the Jedi
    AU from there with TEAM CALLISTAR's fics!

But toss Crystal Star in there for fun. I loved Leia and Chewie's interaction, something I missed in other books. Plus, she wears her hair down. :D

And OMG Kate Beckinsale as Callista in that wallpaper? Perfect! Could we please have more??? I just love it!

I looked up some more pics of KB online... it never dawned on me that she does look alot like the Callista in my head.

Pic One

Pic Two (love the hair)

Pic Three (pretty Black and White)

Pic Four (love the effect on her eyes)

Okay, I'm done, thanks!
    -LC

21. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    If you want me too, Callie, I can make some cool Luke-Callie wallpaper for you. Just let me know.

22. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    I can make some wallpapers if anyone wants any!
    I'm a little busy now sorting out my online radio station (surf, 50's and rockabilly for anyone interested! :p) and stuff, but I'm sure I can fit them in!
    But yush, Mara was cool when Zahn wrote her, then she just turned into a right cow after that...

23. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    I wish I could see the pics and the wallpaper! :_| Anyone wanna get all poetic on me and describe, describe, describe? :p

The anxiety meds are working this week, which means I've been much much more active around the house and even in my journal writing. This means I'm tossing around a couple plot ideas for Luke/Callie fic of my own. I am reorganizing part of my fic thus far, and even though the first part is background, I'm choosing to leave it in there, in case anyone hasn't read CotJ, Darksaber, and PoT. The background I believe, is essential. Now if I can just figure out a plot.
    I suck at action scenes, so I really don't know how I will do them. I might need one of you guys to come along side and help write something, and let me edit it, use parts of it in my fic. But I'm getting way way ahead of myself.
    For now, I'm just trying to settle on a plot, and get all my background information on planets, and anything/anyone else. Fun fun. I never knew how much research could actually go into writing SW!
    If anyone wants to help, give me ideas, thoughts, information on planets, or anything, feel free. I'm going to look around though, so it's okay if I get to it before I tell you guys wheat I'm planning.
    :)

Luke+Callista for always!

24. GeithJiseo2

Jan 21, 2004
    If you want, LJ, I can be your beta reader (someone who proofreads and edits another author's work before they post it). I would consider it an honor. :)

And welcome back, LadyCallie! [face_dancing]

25. LostJedi26

Mar 30, 2006
    That's awesome. I was actually thinking of asking you. I love your handle on writing different scenes, some of which I would find hard to come with on my own. I'd be honored if you would beta my work. :) [face_dancing]

I keep mixing up the numbers in your screen name. I noticed I did that earlier.
    Thank you!

Luke/Callie forever!