main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Callista Fans!!!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Callista Sunrider, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geith_Jiseo

Geith_Jiseo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2004
    You're welcome. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. [face_love]

2. Darth_Rolek

Darth_Rolek Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    Hello everyone. I don't post on these forums much, but I thought I'd add my two cents here. I've read lots of the EU, and I'm with you all on this one. I think they made a tremendous mistake when they got rid of Callista as Luke's love interest. There was SO much potential for the ideal relationship with Callista and it was totally destroyed.

I think originally she was intended to be the one for Luke, that's the feeling I got from CotJ. Then along came KJA and set their relationship up for failure. I do think he was ordered to do so, but it looked to me as though Hambly was setting them up for marriage originally in CotJ.

Anyhow, a lasting relationship between them would have brought the ways of the Old Jedi Order into the Academy that would have made it much better than what it eventually becomes in the NJO. I really think they messed up when they decided to go a different direction with this.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating too many points. Have a great day!

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I had a though about Callista's inability to access the Force.In Battle Surgeons Bariss Offee talks about a Jedi Knight who had the ability to remove himself from the Force. When I read that it made me think of Callista. Does anyone think that she might be doing something similar and not realizing it? I'd like to see her reintroduced and see if she's made any progress in regaining her Force powers.

4. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi Darth_Rolek.

Actually its been said, it was Hambly's job to make a soulmate for Luke. That's why it looks like they would have gotten married at the end of the COTJ. That was what was suppose to happen. Enter Zahn though who wanted Luke to end up with Mara(when there clearly was nothing romantic between the two of them before hand, just simply friendship and not of the really close kind) before he wrong his Hand of Thrawn novels. This is why Luke and Mara doesn't seem to make sense since there was clearly nothing there before and then after a few pages, they are bonded. I think this is why they have to constantly remind(force on depending who you are) readers they are in love to make people accept it since we never saw anything between them. As a result, Callista was writen out to make him(Zahn) happy. That's pretty much what the unofficial word is. Personally i find it believeable that Zahn would want something like that. He clearly can't let Thrawn die and wants to push his characters. That's really the sicking point for me. Callista was so much a better match for Luke and simply a FAR better character in my opinion.

5. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    Yes NeoStar, it seems that you're right about that. I found an interview with Hambly where she said that her assignment was to write about the love of Luke's life, and that she was later told for POT to write her out. I'll always see this as a major waist of a great character. The way she came back, how she stayed in the computer all those years, the sacrifices she made only to come back and shortly thereafter be written out? Bad decision if you ask me...

6. Callie_Skye

Callie_Skye Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    argh!! I'd never heard that bit about Zahn wanting to push the Luke and Mara concept. grrrrrr I'm angry now. Bad Zahn, evilllll Zahn. Well I was annoyed before, *grins* but now I have someone to focus my anger on. ;)

7. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Welcome all the new people!

And this is why fanfic is such a wonderful thing, dudes! Geith_Jiseo and I have written an entire alternate universe where Luke and Callista ended up together and had children. If you want to check it out, my page at fanfiction.net has all of them. We're currently working on the final installments, which take the place of the New Jedi Order series. It's called Falls the Shadow. Our rewrite starts with Mergirl, which chronicles Callista's life during the Jedi Purges. After that we have our Luke and Callista Trilogy: Forever Home, Maternal Instincts and Shadowlight. Please feel free to check them out, if you want an idea of how the GFFA should have ended up...

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ambassadorcarajade

L/C Forever!

8. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    Thanks ACJ, I'll be happy to check it out later today when I'm done with classes and so forth. School work always gets in the way of stuff that really matters! It sounds like you have a good story going from your brief description. I only wish the people in charge of the EU would have had such common to realize what they were throwing away. Oh well, that's why we have imaginations! Have a good one...

9. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    ACJ, thanks. Never finished reading before, now I finish. Keep up the great work. :)

10. Geith_Jiseo

Dec 26, 2004
    WOW!!! This thread hasn't seen this much activity in a looooooong time. Maybe we'll finally be able to catch up with the Mara Jade Fan Club thread. ;)

And a big welcome to Darth_Rolek! :D

Luke/Callista Forever!

P.S. NeoStar9, didn't you say earlier that you were writing a L/C fanfic? If so, is it finished? I would love to read it. :)

11. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    Still working on it. Trying to make sure I don't accidently copy someone else's idea. College has been so busy but its coming along. This is my last semester. Thought I'd start off slow, so going to try and get out a chapter soon. Might put it up on FanFiction.net. I'll post a link when I have something ready.

I tend to be slow in writing sometimes. I end up trying to hard which ends being a bad thing. So I've decided to try and lets things flow more and then go back and edit and not to try and get things perfect the first time around which was the direction I was headed in before.

12. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Actually, I have been a long time lurker of these forums and generally haven't posted much at all, but lately I've decided to get more involved. I can relate with NeoStar with the whole college thing as I myself am a fifth year senior (two transfers will do that to you). At least it adds to the whole online availability though, which allows me to come on here more often than I otherwise would. ACJ, I read the first chapter of Forever Home, and I thought it was very good! Thanks a lot for spreading the word about it. I'm out for now, so you folks have a wonderful day!

13. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I like the whole idea of writing Kyp as looking up to Luke and Callista as parent-like figures. Callista fits it with her personality I feel.

Good luck with finishing up school DR. :)

Indeed, it has been sometime since this thread has seen some action. :)

14. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    Thanks for the concerns NeoStar, though I feel like I know the school routine as well as anyone possibly can at times being I've been for so long. I'm glad to see such activity here, because I feel it's very fitting that Callista gets the respect she deserves.

The funny thing is I read CotJ knowing ahead of time that Luke would end up with Mara (the Internet tells all things). I had no idea how the authors would ever pull it off after reading the HttE trilogy, because there was no romanctic angle at all there. Anyhow, I figured this Callista character would be a stupid mistake Luke made along the way, but I was completely wrong when I read CotJ.

I guess you could say I fell in love with her character as quickly as Luke did. She was kind and completely wonderful. She made the ultimate sacrifice for those she did not even know, yet managed to concele herself into a computer for 30 years. With the wonderful ending the book had, my first reaction was "how in the heck will they be able to realistically split these two up?" The ending completely convinced me that this was the woman intended for Luke! I was beyond furious when I saw how butchered her character was in Darksaber, but the whole behind the scenes thing seemed quite obvious when I finished PoT. I'm sure Barbara Hambly was quite angry when she was told to write out Callista. She put a lot of great things into this character, and while it wasn't overall my favorite book, I love the way she handles characters.

I stand by my beliefs that the books went downhill when they trashed Callista the way they did. Luke's entire character has to be thrown out even due to his relationship with Mara Jade, that is not only wrong, but utterly unrealistic and downright unbelievable. Those are my thoughts anyhow. Anyone like to know how I REALLY feel about this? :)

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't like that. I didn't like how she just randomly threw Admiral Daala in at the of POT. I guess maybe she though that if KJA could ruin one of her characters, she could ruin one of his.

16. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    I thought that the romance between Luke and Mara showed up completely randomly at the end of the book. All of a sudden Luke says, "will you marry me?" Where did that come from, really?

Thanks for all the input on our fanfic, you guys. We're doing our best to finish the story for you all. In the meantime, enjoy what we've already written to get psyched up for it!

ACJ

17. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    What's with Kyp getting his butt handed to him in this story. Did one of you simply not like the character and decided to make him the punching bag?

18. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    ACJ, I think that is because there was no realistic way to put the two of them together. I laugh everytime someone tries to say that Luke and Mara were meant for each other. If that was the case, why didn't they actually have any signs of romance before as someone on another thread called it the "slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am" engagement of Luke and Mara? The answer is that it's simply what some people (particularly Zahn) wanted. I do not think there was any chance that the two could have been realistically paired without some major butchering of characters and lots of books to set it up. Unfortunately, they spent very little time actually developing any sort of romance and proceed to butcher Luke to pieces aftwards. Terrible...

I know all about slow writing NeoStar. I do quite a bit of writing myself (not Star Wars related) and I have to be in the mood to write. I can go days without finding that mood at times...

19. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm the same way. I used to do a lot of writing when I was younger. Mainly fan fiction of games. Some of it turned out really bad and some of it was decent when I look back on them. But mood really is everything. As I read ACJ's and Geith_Jiseo's Luke/Callista story. A lot of ideas have jumped in my head(not the same ones in the story), certain things have just gotten me thinking in different directions.

Sticking with one story idea has been a problem as mind as well. As I write one thing, ideas for something else comes to mind and it just gets in the way at times.

20. Callie_Skye

Callie_Skye Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    Aww! People, people discussing cool stuff. *Smiles* I'm very much impressed.

erm *coughs* that's all I have to say right now. I pretty much agree with the whole line of conversation right now. =)

21. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    I'm glad I can contribute to the discussion here. I feel as though Callista deserves as much attention as she can get. Definitely one of my favorite EU characters.

I will be somewhat busy this weekend. I have to take a graduate school admissions test Saturday (the MAT), and I suck at standardized tests. I'm also finalizing my order for a complete Jedi Knight outfit, so I'm trying to get that all straightened out. Do any of you folks out there have Jedi costumes of your own? If so, what did you do for the boots? That seems to be the hardest part to find.

As far as writing goes, me and my best friend from back home have spent just over 2 years co-writing a novel. We're done except for making edits and changing some things around. Once we get it submitted, I'll be more than willing to share some of it with you folks in your interested. I got some homework to do for now, so you all have a great day!

22. Geith_Jiseo

Dec 26, 2004
    What's with Kyp getting his butt handed to him in this story. Did one of you simply not like the character and decided to make him the punching bag?

Wait until you see what happens to Corran Horn (a character I DESPISE) in Maternal Instincts. ;) Actually, Cara and I put all the characters through a lot of pain and suffering in our stories, even (especially!) Callista. IMO, it makes things more interesting, that the good guys don't always win their battles. It raises the stakes, in my humble opinion.

Glad you guys are enjoying the fics! And again, it's awesome to see this thread alive after such a long time of dormancy. [face_dancing]

23. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    It does make things interesting. The only thing that didn't make any sense to me was at the end with Kyp, Streen and KT at the end Forever Home. You know the head thing with one of them(won't say who as to not spoil it if someone hasn't read it), how was that fixed?

Might start reading Maternal Instincts tonight.

24. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    We do put our characters through a lot of hell. I know a large part of the reason I give Callista so much to deal with in Mergirl was because I was dealing with the deaths of a few of my friends while I was writing it and it helped to put this character I felt so close to through the same things I was.

As for the end of FH, Kyp, Streen's and Kirana's "deaths" weren't deaths at all but spiritual imprisonments. When Mara destroyed Kara's amulet (which we know is such a cliched idea) they were released.

Forever Home is a very rudimentary story. It had to be severely overhauled in order for it to make any sense. Geith and I worked on it seriously for like two years to get it to where it is now, so if there are any plot holes, that's why.

Just FYI, everyone...my laptop was stolen today so my availability is going to be really limited for the near future. Geith, I'm so sorry, but everything that I had written to send you is gone. Unless the cops find my computer (which is likely because we know who took it) I'm hoping they didn't have time to erase my hard drive. So pray for me, everyone, or send good vibes or whatever you may believe in. I'm really kind of scared right now...

Thanks
    ACJ

25. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm really sorry your computer got stolen. I hope you get it back in time with it unchanged or damaged. :(

As for the characters, I can understanding making the character go through what you were going through at the time. Getting things out like that does tend to help. As for FH, I understand now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.