main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Callista

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Shan, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    Ok we all remember this lady. Thankfully not a redhead, and a bit force challenged, but overall a respectable character.

I liked her anyway.

So...do we want her back in LotF to shake up the almost sickining mara luke dream couple dynamic? Or is Lumiya enough?

I personaly think either one of the is hopless towards that end without a bastard child..but who knows.

2. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    I dont think Luke would be the kind of guy to be that shaken up by a old girlfriend returning. Plus Mara would probably just scare her away. But they have to do something because Mara is friggin annoying.

3. JarJarStink

JarJarStink Jedi Master star 1

Dec 15, 2003
  4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Everybody loves a body snatcher.

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm afraid the whole idea of Callista just creeps me out :( Luke falling in love with a ghost? It's a stretch but I can buy that. But Luke getting in a relationship with said ghost who has taken over the body of a former student? Nah, I could do without that.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    See, the thing with Callista is not that she's just "an old girlfriend returning." Their relationship never ended it just...stopped. Callista got abandoned by the EU because Zahn wanted Mara to end up marrying Luke.

I don't think Luke would cheat on Mara. But he would have some thoughts about what might have been had she not been abruptly written out of his life.

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    No, she didn't get "abandoned by the EU because Zahn wanted such and such." That was the master plan from about 1992-93 on, and KJA and Hambly were well aware of it when they wrote the Callista cycle. The intent was always to put Luke and Mara together - and there are hints of it even in things like Darksaber, where Callista and Mara's conversation decidedly points to it; I remember thinking that at the time. Zahn had suggested it, and the Bantam and LFL people agreed and approved it, and so they actually put together kind of a running "gag" of sorts with the authors that Luke would try - and fail, and fail, and fail - to actually have that relationship, that it would just never work out. Remember the old jokes about Luke never getting married, about dooming every woman he was with? That was intentional.

- Keralys

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ok. Even so, she just sort of disappears.

9. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    About the idea of Callista in LotF: I think that would only be effective if she continued her body-swapping (BTW, how old/young is her Cray Mingla body compared to Luke?). Perhaps if she possessed Mara, then would be some dynamic for it.

Cliche dynamic...

10. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Callisto: A nymph, beloved of Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera changed her into a bear, and Zeus then placed her in the sky as the constellation Ursa Major.

11. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    I remember Callista as that crazy vengeful blonde from Xena.
    On one TFN Casting Call they pegged the actress as the best fit for Guri...but that's not what you were driving at.

It would be interesting to see where Callista has been for the past few years, but other than that, I don't care much about her character. Luke and Mara's marriage is very strong, so I doubt she'd pose a challenge- but seeing Mara's reaction on her return would be rather interesting.

12. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

That's why Callista should show up with a baby....

Perhaps Cade's grandfather...? [face_laugh]

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Not really. There's satisfying resolution in POT. They just realize it isn't meant to be, and Luke lets her go at the end. What more do you want?

14. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    It did thanks.Umm I think our general consensus is that her presence wouldnt change much without a little skycrawler lol.

well......adult now, not taking into account any prlonged Tenel Ka treatment to the fetus any kid of ytheres would only be about 4 years younger than the twins...so about 20-21.

And if Shira had a kid....then hes in his 40's...30's? No it 40's. How weird would that be? Its almost a complete impossibility on that point alone...you cant introduce a new skwalker at 40...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.