main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Camera or Camcorder during panels, events, etc.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JXD, Apr 11, 2015.

1. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    Are you allowed to take pictures or make videos during panels, events and other situations which involve a stage? What's the general consensus for camera and camcorders? Can I take pictures with my camcorder if I have no intention of making videos or do I need to buy a whole new camera to make pictures during those situations?

2. Jopari

Jopari Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    This is my first Star Wars Celebration, but I just went to Wondercon in Anaheim two weeks ago. The smaller panels let you take pictures and record everything. but they said to turn off flash. The larger panels, will say "no recording or pictures of any kind" or something like that. some guy behind me tried recording exclusive previews of the Flash, and he got in trouble.

I'm pretty sure your intentions don't come into play. if they say no recording, yet you have a device pointed at the screen, you'll get in trouble. Most cameras can do videos now, and most camcorders can take pictures, so its simply not possible to allow one type of device and yet not another.

3. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015
    I had this same question because I have so many panels that I want to see that overlap so I was gonna send my husband to record one panel while I went to another one. Here is what I found on the SWC website about it:

Can I Take Pictures?

For the most part, you're welcome to take still pictures and video at Star Wars Celebration; however, please note that all audio and visual recording is prohibited during screenings, concerts, and during many live stage shows. Also, please understand that guests may or may not pose for photographs with fans. Guests have a right to their privacy, and if they ask not to have their picture taken, please respect their wishes.
    http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Show-Info/Fan-FAQ/

4. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks for the response guys.

5. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm not sure if Celebration does this, but at Oz Comic-Con here they have a 10 minute period or so at the beginning of the panels that they allow people to take pics and vids, but then announce on the screen that cameras must be turned off thereafter.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They were pretty good about allowing it at CE in London but made announcements that flash photography wasn't allowed.

7. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    A hint if you must turn off flash, buy a pro camera and turn up the ISO (Anything 100-400 is probably too dark in a room, go higher), lower your F stop to no more than F10, with the center of focus on your main subject take several pictures on each subject. Smaller the F stop the brighter pictures are, but less focus on objects at greater depth

jawajames likes this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I went to Celebration V and there were a few times during certain panels when moderators instructed not to record or take pictures (like when Ben Burtt showed behind-the-scenes footage from Return of the Jedi and when there were clips shown related to The Clone Wars). It looked like there were people walking the crowd and removing people.