main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Camera Suggestion for Price Range

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by bountyhunterx, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bountyhunterx

bountyhunterx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2005
    Are there any good cameras with quality results that range in the area around $1000 US? I've tried to use the search function but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm willing to stretch to maybe $1,200 or something, but I need something in the general area. I've found HVX-200's for $1500 and I need something just under that price, but somewhat comparable in quality. Thanks!

2. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    HVX's for around 1500?

Smells like a scam. Look up the HV20.

3. awhaley

awhaley Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2007
    I did a quick ebay search (I searched for "3 CCD" in the camcorder category...other terms might bring more results but I was in a hurry...) Ending in the next day I saw a GL1 for around 1000, an XL1 for 1200, a GL2 for 600 (probably going to rocket up at the last minute is my guess, because other GL2's were still going for 2000 or so...) I also spotted Panasonic DVC-30s for 600 and 1000. I own a DVC-30 and can personally speak to its quality for the money!

There were also several 3ccd consumer grade cameras that popped up in my search for under 1000, which may suit your needs, but I personally feel that if you're going to drop this much cash you should get at least the prosumer quality of the gl1 or dvc-30... On a consumer grade 3ccd camera the image quality may be excellent but the lack of (or difficult access to) manual controls will eventually annoy the serious film maker... You spend hours setting up a great dramatic lighting rig and the camera, assuming you're shooting a birthday party, uses it's thousand dollar image processor to 'correct' all your dramatic lighting right out of the picture.

So my summary:
    Look for good deals on the DVC-30, GL1, and MAYBE the XL1 these days. All three of these can be had for under 1200 and provide excellent footage that won't let down even a demanding amateur film maker, once they know how to get the most from whichever camera they buy.

4. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Seconded on the Canon HV-20. Do not bother with eBay. Video cameras and eBay scams are synonymous.

-Spiff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.