main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Camping/Float trip anyone???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by twilek69, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    If we can make it, we'll definitely be up for going! Like I said I love this stuff, the camping, the floating, the beer!

Anytime over the summer is good, I actually prefer to go when it's warmer. The water and the beer both seem colder.

And I usually grill everynight I go camping, regardless of how hot it is. Cause I just likes me some grill'in. And then there's the beer.

I've been to Huzzah - it's an o.k. river to float. I need to find out where we stayed - let me do some checking.

Oh, I almost forgot - if you ain't sleeping in a tent - you ain't camping!! :)

Beer. :)

2. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Sleeping in a tree doesn't count?

3. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah dude, I was just going to grab a hammock and tie it up between a couple trees.

4. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay, Let's try the weekend of July 29th.
    I would still like to go check out three places.
    1.Bass I have been to before, but not on the loud side
    2. Huzzah Valley I have not been too, but they seem to be about the same as Bass
    3. The group campsites in Mark Twain National Forest on the Huzzah Creek. This is the cheapest and the group sites seem to be pretty far away from the other campsites on the map. We would have to drive into town to float, but it would not be a big deal.
    4. Get an idea of cheap/clean local restuarants to eat at.

It would be much cheaper not to do the food packages, so we could
    1. fend for yourself all weekend
    2. fend for yourself most of the weekend and have a group dinner on Saturday after the float trip
    3. Go out to eat at local restuarant after the float trip and/or for breakfast due to possible hangovers.
    4. group effort on all meals with a agreed upon menu

At these sites we will have a choice to float on the Courtois or the Huzzah.
    Huzzah Valley has a float were you end up at the campsite for lunch and then continue on. This would be ideal as we could eat at the campsite without having to bring food along, leaving more room for the beer.

Again, anyone who wants to go down for the day to check these sites out PM me and we can work something out. We could take a picnic lunch and swim at, at least one site.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, advice, tips and help!
    If those goes okay, we can try to plan another for the current river later in the summer and maybe somewhere else in the fall (non-float).

Leash

5. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    O.K. - sleeping in a tree or on the ground (done that before) would still be considering camping.

Though I don't recommend it. :)

6. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I agree sleeping in a tree might be considered camping, but it is much more comfortable in a tent on a air mattress! It's almost like sleeping at home, but without the A/C and street lamp shining in my eyes.

7. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Like I said, I've camped two of those sites dozens of times, so unless someone just feels like it, there's not much need of a recon mission to Huzzah or Bass (more of us have been there, too apparently.) The other place is alien ground to me.
    Realistically, after a float I doubt anyone will have the energy to do a restaurant run. Personally, I'm not keen on going into town at all. I prefer to show up and rough it the whole time; of course everyone can do what they want. Coordinated food plans are a great idea.
    What kind of floaters are you? Non-stop (you mentioned stopping once), or stop and go? I'm used to stopping and swimming and munching the whole way (might be why I equate float trips with exhaustion). Also, what method of transport do we want? Canoe, raft, kayak? If it's going to be a big social thing, I bet rafts are best, esp. if we have inexperienced boaters in the group. That might not stop me from getting my kayak, though ;).

8. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I just wanted to check out specific sites. I want to be right on the river and near a place we can get in and swim or sit the chair down and drink. That is the only reason I want to recon, that and to check out the spot in Mark Twain. It is purely a selfish reason! LOL!
    We always eat all our meals at the campsite. It is just cheaper, but I am just trying to accomodate all. I think a group food effort would be best, that is what we have always done with any of my friends we camp with. It is cheaper, you can share cooking duties and it takes out the waiting for "Joe Blow" to finish cooking his breakfast before we go out. We all would eat together.
    I have never floated before and can't swim real well and my husband has little patience with me at times and I want to have a good time. That being said I would love to be in a raft with more experienced floaters. We could arrange for rafts and or canoes/kayaks depending on how many are going.
    I got an email back from the place that rents the whole campground and it is only $80.00 per night for up to 40 people. They are cheaper if we stay there just for camping and floating, the only draw back is they only float on the Upper Meramec. I am not familiar with any of these rivers other than by name. I would prefer a clear river so I can see where I am going/swimming and less crowded. But that is my preference. This place is $4.00 a night per adult to camp and $35.00 for a canoe, and 8 man raft is $140.00. They are slightly cheaper than the others and I believe smaller so more seclusion, etc. This is just a thought. If we have 10 people at the least we could rent this whole campsite for the same price as we would pay at Bass or Huzzah Valley.

9. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Link to place with $80.00 a night for whole site camping.
    Driftwood resort
    floatdriftwood.com

Here are links to Bass river resort and Huzzah Valley resort.
    Bass resort
    bassresort.com
    Huzzah Valley
    huzzahvalley.com

Just so everyone can get a chance to look at prices, pictures, etc.

10. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I'll be in my floaty chair in the backyard... ;)

11. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    Far be it from me to be anti-social... I've always preferred to bring my own grub, my own grill, etc. This way I can eat on my own (or more importantly, the wife's) schedule.

Rafts are alright, but I'd go with canoe. And I think the stop and go float is the best way to do it. Takes several breaks for swimming and bluff jumping and such.

12. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, I must say, I pretty much completely agree with everything Tim said. Except the wife part.

13. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    We can do a head count closer to the date and then if anyone wants to share a raft or canoe they can. And if anyone wants to go in on food we can. We can all basically do our own thing as long as we
    1. camp in the same vicinity
    2. float at the same time
    The whole point is to hang out together and as long as we do that I don't think the rest of it really matters. It should be fun though, I am excited!

14. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    The 29th works for me... let me know what you need help with Leash.

15. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks! At this point I just kind of need to scout out those sites (I am being selfish and want the best sites by the river) and then I need to figure out a head count so we can figure out deposits for campsites and canoes.
    So, let's do a head count now.
    We will be in Steelville on the weekend of July 29th. We will either be at Huzzah Valley, Bass or Mark Twain National Forest. More than likely one of the first two. Camping around $8.00 give or take and adult per night, canoe's around $20.00 per person. We will float on Sat.
    If your in say AYE and how many in your group so I can get an idea of campsites needed when I scout them out and talk to the places about deposits.
    Thanks again!!!!!!

16. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Something I thought to mention which might be common sense, but should be said anyway: "Trees!"
    Whenever we book a site, be sure that there is tree cover over our little niche. If it comes down to a spot further away from the crowd with little cover, and one closer in with it - get the cover. Especially this time of year.

17. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Definitely trees! I did some asking around and I am going to check out the spot in the Mark Twain park. Their group sites are on the Huzzah creek/river, appear to be shaded, appear to be set off from the other campsites and are only $50.00 a night. Plus if we can camp as far away from the jock/fratboy/hoosiers who either want to hit on you or fight you I will be even more happy. (Had problems with this at Bass)
    Plus it don't hurt to look.

18. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Wait.... I might get to fight fratboys?..... I haven't been in a fight in awhile......

19. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Ken, I don't doubt your fighting skills, but I have a feeling you are going to be to hammered to land a proper punch. But, luckily so will most of the fratboys. LOL!

20. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm an Irish kid. Alcohol increases accuracy! :p

21. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Yeah, me too (Irish). But instead of making me more accurate it makes me think I am much bigger and badder than I really am. Especially Jameson (Irish Whiskey), LOL!
    I do get better at darts though!

22. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Patrick and I are in! We're float trip fiends and haven't been on one since he joined the Navy. We're big fans of camping, too.

Normally, I'm all about canoes, but if anyone is interested in a raft, I'd prefer it this time around. Much to my distain, though. I can't go underwater with my tubes in my ears and every canoe that I'm in ends up tipping at some point in time!

23. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Yay!
    Okay, I have
    Me and my hubby
    Christine-JediRunya
    -E-
    Danielle and Patrick

I know some of you have shown interest, just need an AYE or a NAY so I can get a head count.

Thanks,
    Leash

24. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    I still don't know yet. So I suppose I'm a definite maybe.

I will try like crazy to make it. I do have a question though, my MRS. is thinking since she is pregant, she may just hang around the campsite. Is everyone planning on floating or will there be anyone else hanging around?

I haven't tipped a canoe in 6 or 7 years, but she doesn't want to take any chances.

25. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Tim, I could hang out with her. That would save me some money not having to pay for a raft. ;) We could start the grilling so that when you all get back...your food would be waiting for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.