St. Lou, MO Camping/Float trip anyone???

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by twilek69, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    due to the fact that the noisy side is like a huge frat party, with loud music, fireworks and naked people

It is really loud and obnoxious and impossible to sleep unless you pass out from to much alcohol. We would have unwanted vistors in our campsite too. They seem to flock around people they know would prefer to be left alone. Plus with the kids, I just feel better on the quieter side. We can still drink, stay up late around the campfire, talking etc. We just won't be able to blare music and if you want to run around naked, well as long as you are not too loud I don't think it would be a problem. LOL!
    Trust me after a day on the river drinking or even not drinking with these people around you will be happy to be on the quiet side. LOL!

John, just let me know. And you can scavenger some wood, but you can't cut down anything and since it is a busy campsite, it is hard to find big pieces. We usually make the kids gather kindling though.

Oh, Laura, Congratulations! I am still trying to get my husband to quit, but I don't press him. Our friend had that laser accupunture type thing done that they do behind the ear. It has worked for him. It is around $150. I think give or take.
  2. Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master

star 4
    I've got some firewood I could bring. Tim would be so happy if I got rid of it.

And will they let us reserve a campsite if it's only for one night (for those of us only coming on Sat.)?
  3. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I didn't think to ask. But I will check to make sure.
    Firewood goooooooooodddddddd! It is outrageous how much they charge for a small bundle of wood! Thanks!!!

Tips for those bringing coolers to save money. Save you milk jug, clean them out and freeze water in them. You can then place them in the cooler along with other items, granted you have room. As the milk jugs melt you will have cold water to drink and save on the cost of ice too. You can also use plastic soda bottles of any size. I am a cheap camper and try to save money where ever I can.
  4. Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah...good idea. Any other little tips like that? You know, something like toothpaste, baking soda, and ketchup mixed together make an excellent mosquito repelling lotion. [face_sick] (I'm totally kidding...don't anyone do that or you're not sitting next to me.)
  5. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You mean toothpast, baking soda and ketchup are not good bug repellents? LOL!
    Another thing we do to save space is use sample packets of shampoo, soap, toothpaste and deodarent. It's just easier to pack, you don't care if you lose it and if you are freebie addict like me, free!

Or save your dryer lint and toilet paper/paper towel rolls. Put the dryer lint in the rolls for quick kindling. Some people add paraffin wax to it, but it didn't work as well for us like that.

Instead of soda, I make tea for me and freeze it in milk jugs or big gatorade bottles. For the kids we use koolaid. I buy Starbucks coffee bottles for the morning though.

I am sure I can think of some more. Sorry, you asked for it!
    Anyone else have any to share???
  6. Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master

star 4
    Everyone remember to bring their portable DVD players! [face_laugh] I'm bringing mine anyway...I can't be "roughing it" too much. Do you think they have a tree that I can plug my hairdryer into?;)
  7. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    we will try and find a tree you can plug your hair dryer into, but I don't know how much luck we will have. LOL!
  8. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    We'll at least find a tree...lol. :D
  9. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Are there any electricians in the group? We could run electric to a tree. LOL!
  10. Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a question about putting up our tent. We "practiced" today, and there are rings for the poles to go in that have pin clips...but we can't figure out where to stick the pins into the poles or how to secure them. Do they go in the end of the pole or are there supposed to be holes for them to slide into? Besides that, the tent looks good. And I have confirmed my sitters for our trip.:D
  11. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There should be holes in the poles to put the clips into. You might not of put the poles in the correct order, which would be why holes would be missing. Or it might be the the clips go down to the rings where the poles go in. I will have to see it. But we can figure it out together. It could be either of these two or something else all together. LOL!

I have to hold off making reservation for the campsites. We have exhausted our bank account. We forgot we had to pay our car insurance. OOPS! It is paid now and we are broke for about a week and 1/2. Ugh! We should have plenty of time though to make reservations, so I am not worried.
  12. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    If need be, I can make the reservations... pm me if you want me too. I will need the detail like how many, when, where ect...

Tim, if the offer is still open, can we use your tent?
  13. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Christine,
    You could put the girls in the 4 man tent that is really a 2 man tent that we have. Then you will only need a 4 man tent for you and Steve. I don't know why they call them 4 man tents, because they are soooooo darned small. You could fit 4 people if you don't mind sleeping practically on top of each other. LOL!

Let me call them again about the reservations. If they just hold the check and don't cash it til we get there. Then it would be no problem. I will call them and get back to you.
    Thanks for the offer Christine.

As grown adults Jeremy and I can't manage our money to save our lives. You would think between the two of us we would have figured it out by now. We even have on line banking. Ugh! it would probably be cheaper for us to pay an accountant though go through some of the fees for different mishaps we have gone through. It is sad!!! LOL!
  14. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That is probably a good idea Leash about the tents. If we could use both that would be the ticket.

Let me know if you need me to make reservations...
  15. DarthShoey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    my offer still stands, you can use my tent if you'd like!
  16. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
  17. NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    If your poles are like pieces connected w/ a bungee type cord, the pins in the rings go in the ends. Sounds very familar to how my tent works.

I'd offer up firewood if I were going. We have plenty left from the tornado 2 yrs ago. The only problem is it needs to be split, but we do have smaller pieces.
  18. spideymj Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Just wanted to let you know..I need to have my name taken off the going list. Sorry.
  19. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Laura,
    No problem. You will be missed though!:)
  20. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Leash,

How is this all coming together? Getting anywhere?
  21. padawanjo Jedi Youngling

I've never been camping, unless you call sleeping in a parking lot at a Grateful Dead show camping, nor have I been on a float trip. This might be interesting... A float trip with Star Wars fans...how cool!

I don't drink and I've heard float trips are rowdy....

So, what are the details and for those who do not drive...will rides be available? I am very willing to contribute to gas costs.

Which weekend are we talking about?

I have a portable DVD player as well as a laptop so if one goes out we always have the other.
  22. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have not yet made reservations. We had a money crisis and I am not able to make them right now. I apologize for this as I put this together and rode everyone's butt about this. [face_blush] We should be fine on getting campsites together as this place is huge. I will make them around the 5th for the campsites and then let you know what campsites we have. At that point everyone can make reservations for the canoes or rafts. If you don't though we should be fine. They have a ton of canoes and rafts and they take people out every hour or so up to a certain time.

padawanjo,
    You don't have to drink to have fun on this trip. Though if you do drink it will help you to fall asleep in the heat. LOL! Some of the group will be staying at the campsite and not going on the float trip if you want to stay at the campsite. The weekend we are going is July 29th and 30th. Some of us will go down on Friday and some will not come down until Sat. I do not have room in my vehicle. I am sorry. But someone else might. We barely have room for all our camping gear, kids and dog. LOL!
    I will keep you all updated. Sorry.

23. Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:OMG! I forgot about the dog. I guess we're bringing her too. I took my crap tent back and got a Coleman that is nicer than the first one. (The old one had broken zippers and the rings for the poles stretched out within an hour.)

Leash, some of us could bring money to the meeting on the 16th for the reservations. Just let us know how much.
  24. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Amy, I can't wait to meet Mia. She is so cute in her pictures. Bruiser will love that. He hates the water though so to keep him cool we have to constantly dump water on him or pick him up and put him in the water. It is pretty funny and sad at the same time. LOL!
    Thanks Amy! I will figure this all out eventually. We have been struggling since I left my last job in 11/03. Our income literally dropped in half and we thought we could live that way. Hah! We were so wrong! Since I am working again we are trying to catch up on bills and live a little too. We just overdid the living a little and came up short. Not the first time and I am sure it won't be the last.

You usually can't go wrong with Coleman. Make sure to be buy the seam sealer though. You can get it at any walmart. It seals up the holes in the seams where the needles went through. That way you will have a more waterproof tent.
  25. twilek69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey all,
    I made the reservation for the campsite today. I only reserved one campsite as it will hold 20 people and I don't think we have 20 people. It is campsite 540 on the quiet side. It is in a shaded area by the river. You can check out the website for more info . You can call and make reservations for your canoes if you want and pay for your camping fee too or we can wait til we get there.
    So, could I please get another head count ASAP and let me know if you need a partner to canoe or raft with? That way I can adjust the reservation if needed.
    Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.