main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Camping is awesome

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 21, 2016.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Unless you are making moonshine, growing a "cash crop", or on the run from the law, there is no compelling reason to go camping.

Give me a cabin and I'm there. Give me a tent and I'm…..well give me a cabin.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Camping isn't for you then.:p

ShaneP likes this.
  3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Going camping on Friday after work up around Mount Hood. It's going to be hot in Portland, so much cooler up in the National Forrest. A couple of beers, some jagermeister, and good times.

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I love camping. I encourage all of you who haven't been to give it a try, and all those who have a great dislike of it to give it another try.

may the forest be with you. :p

Bor Mullet, jcgoble3, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  5. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I used to go camping regularly as a student. It was part of my curriculum as an undergrad Biology student. Back then we didn't have the mats and the mosquito nets and all those things that make camping less like...camping.

It was more like, hike a few hours with your backpack (which we carried as light as possible because long hikes). Set up camp, get to work, cuz my camping trips were usually for the purpose of studying botany, entomology, ecology, geology, etc. At the end of the day, go to sleep in your sleeping bag. Repeat next day.

I used to camp at least twice a year and although I do admit there were fun times and fond memories, I've had enough of it and I don't want to do it again.

6. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    In Oregon, you don't have to deal with mosquitos which is a big plus. It also doesn't take very long to get out of Portland and into some really quality camping country. I moved to the NW because of these factors. Oregon also has great coastal camping. Having my a fire on the beach with the Stars out, Heaven!

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't camped in over twenty years, either. But it was pretty fun both times that I did so. My family did it more often before I was born, then a couple of times when I was only a few months old before my parents separated, but I did grow up going fishing. The two times that I went camping when I was in my early teens, we did it up at Gavin's Point in South Dakota. The only downside was when it rained Sunday morning, in 1990. Well, the reason was the new tent that my mom and stepfather bought for themselves, turned out to be a lemon as it leaked. Despite it saying that it was water resistant, it was not. The original tent, which was over ten years old by that point, didn't have that problem.

Because the idea is to have fun.

Sure there is. The idea is to get back to nature and enjoy the outdoors. Only if you're an albino, an agoraphobic, or a vampire, would it be an issue.

8. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016
    There is one way to camp that is superior to all others. I do not know the word for this in English. In French it is le hamac. But it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

jcgoble3 and paradigmes like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty much the same in English: hammock.

I would love to camp in the Pacific Northwest. My favorite camping spots right now are in state parks in the NC mountains.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    While Punk went out camping, I did the exact opposite: stayed in a hotel for a week in his hometown, London.

Lodging is awesome!

- Your room is cleaned up every day
    - You don't have to make your bed
    - You don't even have to worry about your keys. Someone keeps them for you, and smiles.
    - There's always soap
    - Breakfast appears magically

[​IMG]

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    So I need to go camping to "get back to nature and enjoy the outdoors"? And no albino, agoraphobic or thirst for human blood here. I just think camping is silly. I did it in the Boy Scouts and hunting several times as a kid. I've done it. Don't see the need now.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, let me ask, did you have fun when you were a kid?

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I had a blast! My childhood was awesome frankly. But I have a blast indoors now. I think SuperWatto is on to something. Lodging is awesome!

SuperWatto:
    While Punk went out camping, I did the exact opposite: stayed in a hotel for a week in his hometown, London.

Lodging is awesome!

- Your room is cleaned up every day
    - You don't have to make your bed
    - You don't even have to worry about your keys. Someone keeps them for you, and smiles.
    - There's always soap
    - Breakfast appears magically

[​IMG]

You have legitimized my anti-camping pro-interior rantings. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I got back from my camping trip earlier today. As family holidays go, this was one of our favourites. We went to Norfolk, which is in East Anglia, in England. We were right on the coast, and the local beach had seals - actual ******* seals

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He had a few good songs.

Bor Mullet, Sarge and Darth Punk like this.
  16. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Headed to Bryce and Zion in 2 weeks with my 76 year old mother. 5 days in a tent and can't wait.

17. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I have been camping in New Mexico, South Dakota, Montana,Wisconsin, and Wyoming. I loved camping in South Dakota, in the Black Hills region. It is absolutely gorgeous there. I want to camp in Yellowstone, but you have to reserve a site way in advance.

Chewgumma and Darth Punk like this.
  18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    After going glamping with my family this coming week, I'm going actual camping with my bf and his friends in September. (Glamping = permanent free-standing structures, flush toilets, and electricity. Actual camping = nothing there when you get there, nothing there when you leave.) The actual camping site is apparently "clothing optional." To me, this sounds like a good way to get mosquito bites in places it is very socially awkward to scratch.

I'll be the one in the snowsuit.

19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Nice bump. I’m camping right now. I’m in Oxfordshire.

Chewgumma likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Punk webcam

[​IMG]

jcgoble3, Sauntaero, Diggy and 5 others like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Note that the guy with the beer is happy

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    The amount of rain that has fallen here over the last 24 hours is as much as a monthly average. How are you?

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I did my first camping trip in 12 years back in June. Family reunion type deal. It was great except for the sleeping arrangements. Too bloody hot out, and I didn't think to pack a pillow

Darth Punk likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Heavy rain hits us tomorrow (Sunday).

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    GET AWAY NOW
    it's a deluge!

Darth Punk likes this.