main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Camping out to view the Rose Parade - Parade Pictures!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediVixen, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediVixen

JediVixen Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Anybody interested?
    I thought perhaps because of the SW theme.....
    at the corner of Colorado and Orange Grove?

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    interested, though i'd be getting there at like 2 am, i'd figure

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I have a couple of Rose Parade questions. This life time So-Cal gal hasn't a clue to the ins and outs of watching the parade live. How sad!! Can you still get grand stand seat tickets? If so, where and how much? Is anybody sitting in the grand stands? Where do you park? When should you get there? Is anybody else going and where will you be?

I'm completely lost here.

Help me LAFF, you're my only hope!

THANKS!!

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Here's the "official" ticket info, from the Pasadena CVB website:

"How can I get Rose Parade tickets?
    Grandstand seating for the Rose Parade is available through Sharp Seating Company, (626) 795-4171, from February 1 through December 31. Ticket prices range from $40 - $85. Starting in April, tickets are also available at (310) 454-3511 and (626) 440-9285. Each viewer (including children of any age) must have a ticket to sit in the grandstands. Viewers without grandstand tickets may watch the Rose Parade from the street in designated locations along the route."

You can get parking through the ticket brokers, too, if you want to pay. Otherwise, you can start parking on the streets at 12 Noon on the 31st, which is when you can claim your spot on Colorado Boulevard, too. "No parking" zones are clearly marked.

It's easier to find places if you go further down Colorado, way easier. The only problem with that is the closer to the end of the parade you are, the tired the bands will be and they won't be playing :). And of course by then some of the floats have broken down and they're being towed. But you can wait until the morning of the parade and still find a place to view the parade from that will be just fine. You just be have to park pretty far away, maybe 6 or 7 blocks. It just depends. And of course the closer you get to parade time, they really start closing streets off and the traffic gets very tough.

Me -- I'm visiting with friends that live in Pasadena.

5. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I'll be camping out at the corner of Colorado Blvd and Sierra Madre---from my bed! This little annual nuisance runs right past my street so I just roll out of bed when the bomber does the fly over and wakes me up. A friend from the LB Grand Prix usually has seats for me as his company puts up a ton of those bleachers. :)

VK, I generally do the whole 'turn midnight' thing on the street with the maddening crowd. It's still a big party in this Eastern Part, hehe, but maybe I'll wander down to join you and any fellow LAFFers?

6. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    You folks may end up with a lost soul from the desert joining you. I'd love to pull an all-nighter there, but it seems kinda scary for this very small town gal. We still roll up the sidewalks at 9:00 where I live. It sounds exciting!

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    looks like, i think, i'll be down there the day before for this

8. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Just tell me where you are all going to be and I'll make sure to look.

9. JediVixen

Oct 18, 2001
    SR - will keep you updated at to where we will be on the parade route. Do you know at this point, where you will be within the troopers when they march? For example, 2nd row third from the left, etc....

10. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Not at this time. I'll probably have to call one of you to let you know as I won't have computer access I'm sure at the hotel unless I bring my laptop and can steal internet from someone.

11. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I will know; that is, those of us who will be there on the 31st to see the judging will know where SR is IF he manages to give us a high sign or something to let us know which one he is LOL. Maybe they won't have you put on your helmets until right before you get in line, anything so that we will know where you are. JR is another one who should know, perhaps we can get the info from him.

Then I can race home and post the info for everybody, and make a few phone calls.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Helen, we should be able to find out at the judging which one he is. I'm pretty sure they will keep them in exactly the same formation, so we can count which row/place he is. :)

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, exactly.

14. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    That's a great idea. I'll make sure you see me for the judging. Please take as many photos as you can I will be forever in your debt.

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Talk to our Darth Haggis, as he's the IEFF photographer. He's got a great camera that takes really terrific pictures. I'm pretty sure he's sitting in the stands somewhere, so hopefully he'll have a really clear shot of everything.

16. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    We will be at home recording it for you guys! :D Oh, and keeping warm in our jammies... [/old]

17. JediVixen

Oct 18, 2001
    Lowbacca

Are you and Mr. Lee still interested in seeing the parade in person? if so, do you want to buy tickets for the bleachers or ?

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    So don't have this planned out. I think it'll be the 'on the sidewalk' version

19. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I have no information at this time as to where I or SR will be in the parade. There is a kick-off dinner tonight that we will be attending. I will come home after dinner, but SR will be staying at the hotel to begin his training. I will report to the hotel on Friday. I'm sure I won't know what I'll be doing until Friday. I'll report here tonight or tomorrow if I learn anything tonight. I won't be online either starting Friday. If anything, I'll call DH or someone to tell them any information I may have regarding where and what we'll be doing.

I'm very excited about this!!

Oh, and yes, if anyone (JB, DB, DH, SR, JJ, ANYONE) can please record the Parade on their DVR and put it on a DVD for me I will be extremely appreciative!

20. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm about to leave for the hotel. It just started raining here so I'll wait till that's over. I'm bringing my laptop but the internet isn't free there so I'll try and steal from someone. I'll post if I can. I'll call if I can't. I'll tell someone where I am.

JR, see you tonight. I'm excited but I don't know why we need four days of this practice. I'm recording the parade plus the two pre parade shows they have on channel five. There are other stations carrying it too like HGTV. I guess because of the flowers.

21. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    You got it Matt. I will DVR it, and make a DVD for you. I presume Portland will only have one coverage, but consider it done. (unless SR or someone does too)

You two guys have a wonderful, blast at the pre-parade events. Please think of me when you are partying it up. Get some rest on the 31st. New Years is just a night, nothing more.

I will so miss you guys. I will be thinking about you two. Have a great march!!

SR, I hope your armor is up and running safely. Have a wonderful time, and think of your 501st Brother who is supporting you, mentally.

Marshall
    [image=http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/Darth-Bubba/TKScottI.jpg]
    [image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album08/JediRacer_DB.jpg]

22. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well, I'm back at home. Why, the rooms are way to small and the beds are even smaller. They didn't put me and JR as roommates probably because he doesn't show until Friday. So I was stuck with guys from Florida, San Francisco and Brunei. That had to be a long flight. I told them I would free up some space and only stay there the night of the 31st.

As for the rest of the evening. I got there around 3pm, took an hour to register and get my hotel key. The SoCal group got together and sat around staring at each other talking and drinking. JR showed up a little before six. We had dinner, we met the Grambling Band. They were all dressed in black suits we 501st jeans and t-shirts. We looked like white trash. JR sat next to me and there were some SoCal 501st at our table along with two people from Oregon. They knew you DB so I texted you during dinner but you didn't respond. I think he said his name was Todd and that he was the XO or something I don't know I really wasn't paying attention. In fact I wasn't on my best behavior. I was rude and made comments about people I probably shouldn't. Don't make fun of Mary Franklin though, that woman works out and could whoop JRs butt for sure no doubt. The leader of the 501st Mark Fordham is boring and shouldn't talk in public. Steve Sansweet kicked him off the stage, but it was for an important guest. George Lucas himself showed up and thanked us all for being there.

Then after a lenghthy discussion on where to put the patches on our shoulders (I do hope I got the coordinates right and that they don't kick me out of the parade because I was over half an inch or some stupid thing), we were allowed to leave.

Tomorrow we leave the hotel at 9am so I need to be back by 8 for free breakfast. We won't have our costumes just the helmets. Should be an easy day. Tomorrow night is eat anywhere at Universal you want to night so I do hope the guys all want to go someplace fun.

That's my report for today.

23. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    SR beat me to it. As I sat there during dinner, I just tried to take in as much of the experience that I can. I feel really lucky and fortunate to participate in this event. I know a lot of Rebel Legion people applied to be a part of this, and only a dozen or so of us were selected, that makes it even more special. I kind of have "survivor's remorse" because WHY was I picked over other excellent costumes. There are a lot of bitter RL people, but that's sour grapes. I'm really happy and proud to have been picked. I kind of feel that I'm now a "part" of Star Wars.. I feel somewhat justified, that's he only word I can come up with right now. I don't know.. I'm not good with words. I'm going to have fun with this as much as I can, not take things too seriously like some others. We really need to appreciate this experience SR!! I know we've seen George Lucas before, and drank with young Boba Fett, and hung out with Darth Maul, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

24. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I am so excited for you guys! I kinda wish I'd submitted my costume now. Your reports are great...please keep them coming!

Go LAFF! SW forever! (you can tell I'm getting my fandom going again now) :D I'll be recording you, and, probably, screaming with happiness...

25. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks for the support JB. I feel that only you guys are behind me. Like I said, there are a lot of bitter people in the RL, and if I post my experiences there, they might get more jealous and think that I'm just bragging about the whole thing. I'm sorry DB isn't there.. I know he would really enjoy this experience. It was pretty coincidental that the couple who sat next to SR and myself knew DB.

BTW, Mary Franklin can kick my butt.. she has buff arms. We also got a 501st Stormtrooper action figure.. it's the same as the one sold at Comic-Con this year, but it's been modified with a Rose Parade sticker and a George Lucas card. We also got a Star Wars Spectacular pin! What sucks is that I just ordered one of those online and paid $8.00 to ship it to my house.. dang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.